Old 10 September 2002, 14:19   #1
Pyromania

FractalPro

Anyone use this Amiga application?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 September 2002, 15:16   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Utter tosh! I wouldn't use that program if you paid me. Even if I *cared* about fractals and mandelbrot sets, I would be too overwhelmed by the quirky excuse for a user interface to be much up for creativity.

And anyway, what's so creative about a mathematical formula generating random imagery that really isn't much controlled by the user (except for random, psychedelic results). Eye candy for math geeks, more like.

Back in my piracy days, it was one of the few programs that wasn't even worth copying (not that anybody ever wanted it). Typical shit U.S. coding. And a program like that should not be written in assembly, anyhow. It should use system libraries and can those custom requesters and stuff.

Overall, I give it a thumbs down. And you can't dance to it!
Old 10 September 2002, 17:28   #3
Bub the Zombie

When I was alive, I used Fractal Pro to obfuscate linear pylori of several clusters of sphincteriles on Deimos, Mars' second moon.

*Typed by Fred since Bub is...decaying*

Old 10 September 2002, 17:38   #4
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Utter tosh! I wouldn't use that program if you paid me. Even if I *cared* about fractals and mandelbrot sets, I would be too overwhelmed by the quirky excuse for a user interface to be much up for creativity.
I have to agree Twistin'

Amiga Format used to go mad for fractals, always provding programming examples and stuff. In fact I remember once they had a entire issue devoted to them, the Mandlebrot set was on the front cover I think.

Why?

I never understood what was so amazing about them - if you want art on a computer generate it yourself, a fractal is just about as exciting as looking at the numbers that generated it.

Old 10 September 2002, 19:59   #5
Akira

Quote:
And anyway, what's so creative about a mathematical formula generating random imagery that really isn't much controlled by the user (except for random, psychedelic results). Eye candy for math geeks, more like.
You speak with the truth, Twist... When I go to clubs and do my multimedia setup, people use to come and say "that's nice, not like all that fractal shite they use to make everywhere"

It means pish all to me.
Old 11 September 2002, 01:24   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And the user interface for this program I like about as much as this limited excuse for art! It's almost worth looking at as a textbook example for how NOT to code an interface. File it alongside Black Belt's ImageMaster and M$' AmigaBasic...
Old 11 September 2002, 01:45   #7
Pyromania

Quote:
And the user interface for this program I like about as much as this limited excuse for art! It's almost worth looking at as a textbook example for how NOT to code an interface. File it alongside Black Belt's ImageMaster and M$' AmigaBasic...
100% right, read the Amiga Style Guide please FP developer.
Old 13 September 2002, 11:40   #8
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Bub the Zombie
When I was alive, I used Fractal Pro to obfuscate linear pylori of several clusters of sphincteriles on Deimos, Mars' second moon.

*Typed by Fred since Bub is...decaying*
I thought Fractal Pro was a steller example of the very best coding techniques on the Amiga. It's just so Maths!
Old 13 September 2002, 12:44   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sheesh...have you seen that piss-poor excuse for a logo that MegageM uses? It looks like it was designed on an Atari2600! People actually bought this amateurish pap? It's the "Crazy Cars" of gfx software.

Ya know, I met the programmer of this app once. He looked stoned and seemed quite a bit full of himself. I was unimpressed.
Old 13 September 2002, 18:36   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The "Crazy Cars" series is a gaming garbage heap.
Old 13 September 2002, 21:03   #11
Akira

Quote:
It looks like it was designed on an Atari2600!
Aye, don't blame bad design abilities on the poor machine . If it looks bad is because the "artist" sucks.
AdSense AdSense