English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 February 2012, 15:04   #41
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

lordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Age: 39
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
The Amiga was a machine with a soul
Amen to that.
lordofchaos is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 February 2012, 16:01   #42
moxavius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis/US
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Amiga was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer
My PC is a real multi-tasker. It can display 10 errors, all at the same time!
moxavius is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 16:05   #43
lifeschool
Local Moderator

lifeschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lancashire, UK
Age: 41
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The Amiga was a machine with a soul.
Absolutely! The disk drive has a character of it's own - NO other computer disk drives made the same 'music' as the amiga drives when loading disks. The 'custom chips' all have soul: - agnus, paula, kickstart. The LED drive lights have soul - they are long and in three coloured parallel bars - so much nicer than a single red 'HAL' LED like most PCs have - and anyone who had an amiga will have goosebumps just remembering those classic drive lights. And then there's the design. And then there's the logo. And then there's the applications and the games and the workbench. The amiga is almost a character - and a mascot - all by itself. Yes I couldn't agree more.

Other annoying things: when they say 'but the PC version is so much better' - oh yeah??!! Keyboard driven CGA/EGA graphics on most games pre-1990, dire sound, clunky gameplay - yeah the amiga still beats some PCs (outside of 3D gaming) even today!
lifeschool is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 16:45   #44
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
Eh, no. The Amiga is not the first multi tasking capable computer. Any computer with a programmable timer with interrupt and a changeable stack pointer can do preemptive multitasking.
Thorham is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 18:27   #45
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

lordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Age: 39
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Eh, no. The Amiga is not the first multi tasking capable computer. Any computer with a programmable timer with interrupt and a changeable stack pointer can do preemptive multitasking.
Wow you know your stuff Thorham...Well regardless of what the first real multi tasking computer was I think we can all pretty much agree that the Amiga was the first "successful" multi tasking computer, this reminds me of another argument, who invented the world's first working computer, coming first doesn't always seem to guarantee recognition, but I digress.

One thing that always struck me as odd was why there hasn't been any real in depth documentaries about the Amiga, whenever there's a program on tv about computers it's usually geared towards Apple or Microsoft, Commodore is lucky to even get a mention in passing.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 21 February 2012 at 18:34.
lordofchaos is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 19:28   #46
moxavius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis/US
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
One thing that always struck me as odd was why there hasn't been any real in depth documentaries about the Amiga, whenever there's a program on tv about computers it's usually geared towards Apple or Microsoft, Commodore is lucky to even get a mention in passing.

Because history is written by the winners.
moxavius is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 20:07   #47
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

lordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Age: 39
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxavius View Post
Because history is written by the winners.
True, still there's plenty of documentaries out there on lesser known stories and inovations, maybe because it's a computer and computers tend to get lumped together in a general sphere of ignorance...Or maybe it's a global conspiracy, dun dun dahhhh!
lordofchaos is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 20:25   #48
moxavius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis/US
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
True, still there's plenty of documentaries out there on lesser known stories and inovations, maybe because it's a computer and computers tend to get lumped together in a general sphere of ignorance...Or maybe it's a global conspiracy, dun dun dahhhh!
I think there is valid argument that certain historical information about computers is suppressed by pop media. You will often hear it acknowledged that PCs of the 1980s took all day to boot and weighed as much as a refrigerator, but what you never hear is that Amiga computers of that same era were smaller, far more powerful, had vibrant color, stereo sound, and pre-emptive multi-tasking.

In other words, you'll hear the truth that early PCs were crap. But you rarely hear that the Amiga, an eminently superior product, existed at the same time.
moxavius is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 20:34   #49
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

lordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Age: 39
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
In other words, you'll hear the truth that early PCs were crap. But you rarely hear that the Amiga, an eminently superior product, existed at the same time.
Yep I would agree with that. Dam it I need closure! Now you must excuse me, I have to write to Oliver Stone and get this thing straightened out once and for all.
lordofchaos is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 20:57   #50
Patarival
Registered User
Patarival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YouTube
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Eh, no. The Amiga is not the first multi tasking capable computer. Any computer with a programmable timer with interrupt and a changeable stack pointer can do preemptive multitasking.
Of course, but Workbench was the first which did it without any tricks and clever programming - just out of the box.
Patarival is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 21:20   #51
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Of course, but Workbench was the first which did it without any tricks and clever programming - just out of the box.
On machines for the consumer market, yes. Preemptive multitasking is of course much older than the Amiga, and so are quite a few of it's features. AOS is only innovative as a consumer OS (probably ).
Thorham is offline  
Old 21 February 2012, 21:40   #52
moxavius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis/US
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
On machines for the consumer market, yes. Preemptive multitasking is of course much older than the Amiga, and so are quite a few of it's features. AOS is only innovative as a consumer OS (probably ).

I disagree. Amigas were used for a lot of non-consumer things.

I know NASA used them. Movie production, music studios used them, TV stations. Martin-Marietta had a massive rendering farm of Amigas for many years. Military used them. Iomega rumored to use them to emulate Macs because the Macs were too slow. Kiosks, interactive educational displays.. and on and on and on.

I would argue that the Amiga was more successful for commercial and industrial applications and a failure in the consumer market, which is unfortunately the one that counts.

Last edited by moxavius; 21 February 2012 at 22:34.
moxavius is offline  
Old 23 February 2012, 06:22   #53
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I mean, it was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Wow you know your stuff Thorham...Well regardless of what the first real multi tasking computer was I think we can all pretty much agree that the Amiga was the first "successful" multi tasking computer, this reminds me of another argument, who invented the world's first working computer, coming first doesn't always seem to guarantee recognition, but I digress.
I know my roots and was that "IT guy" Patarival refers to. At the time when Amiga was released my job was with mainframe computers, such as Sperry/Univac 1100 series (Unisys) and Siemens 7500 (BS2000). The bus on those computers were 1024 bits wide IIRC, which still beats the 64bit used in PC systems today, not to mention the operating systems which were multitasking indeed, long before the Amiga.

Regardless of multitasking, the Amiga has soul, no doubt about it. I think any piece of hardware which can stand the tests of time while still having flaws has character, and character is required for that "soul" to slowly build.

Last edited by modrobert; 23 February 2012 at 06:28.
modrobert is offline  
Old 23 February 2012, 19:10   #54
mikele
Registered User
mikele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: poland
Posts: 291
I hate when those ignorants confuse time frames. When I refer to using Amiga in the early 90s, they usually come up with memories of playing superior Quake or some PlayStation game. It's like:

Me:"oh how I miss the 80s"
X: "yeah, Take That was blast".
mikele is online now  
Old 23 February 2012, 19:40   #55
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

lordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Age: 39
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
I hate when those ignorants confuse time frames. When I refer to using Amiga in the early 90s, they usually come up with memories of playing superior Quake or some PlayStation game. It's like:

Me:"oh how I miss the 80s"
X: "yeah, Take That was blast".
LOL
lordofchaos is offline  
Old 24 February 2012, 00:24   #56
mc6809e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
On machines for the consumer market, yes. Preemptive multitasking is of course much older than the Amiga, and so are quite a few of it's features. AOS is only innovative as a consumer OS (probably ).
But before the blitter, though, on previous machines weren't most bit blits handled directly by the CPU or some special circuit that worked together with the CPU? I think the blitter might have been an original feature.

It's a real shame that development on the blitter wasn't continued. Todays GPUs are a logical extension of the blitter. Commodore could have put the Amiga on a PC card and owned the graphics acceleration market. That foot-in-the-door might have even put the Amiga's OS in a position to displace the offerings of Microsoft.
mc6809e is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
most annoying amiga game psygnosis Retrogaming General Discussion 20 31 July 2013 01:53
another annoying winuae crash orko33 support.WinUAE 13 29 November 2008 21:19
Bloody annoying Ian request.Old Rare Games 10 07 March 2007 21:44
Those annoying ants Kodoichi support.Games 19 06 December 2006 23:09
Need help with 2 very annoying problems Aral support.Hardware 4 14 June 2006 09:51

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.24338 seconds with 12 queries