Stop living in the past!
+1
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 February 2012, 15:44   #22
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
i go to a retro meet every 2nd tuesday of the month and took my 1200t with mediator,blizzard 1260 see first machine in sig

and i was asked multiply times what spec my pc was to emulate the amiga that good

and i said er this is a real amiga playing real amiga games and software
I can really identify with this, yes explaining your Amiga is real and not being emulated can be tough, especially when you're then told it's easier to emulate the thing...of course you can but that's not the point!

Another one for me is when I'm playing on the Miggy my brother would occasionally drop by and comment, "Why are you playing this old crap for" and then would proceed to play the current game X or call of duty 72 or whatever the bloody hell number we're on now! The irony is that the so called "state of the art" game will age a lot quicker and look ugly in around 3 years, that is when new shaders and gfx cards come along, and a good 2d game that has been rendered well will remain timeless...well in most cases.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 20 February 2012 at 16:01.
Old 20 February 2012, 17:26   #23
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Quote:
living in the past
when ppl quote jethro tull songs and should know better than to troll
Old 20 February 2012, 17:30   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
I really hate it when people try dropping words in and have no idea what they are talking about.
I don't mind that, when you are corrected you learn.

Its the fact that people do not even care that they do that and won't accept corrections. An extension to people not wanting to learn how to spell or write proper grammar and such.
Old 20 February 2012, 17:53   #25
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Everytime I mention the Amiga now I have to got into a history lession about the machine and it's cutting edge features; or else I get a load of blank faces.

I also used to hate it when they called it a 'games machine', a 'console', or a 'personal computer'! (PC). Technically it's a portable computer (POC), in the same way as the 8bit computers could be thrown into a bag and taken round to a friends house. You can still do this with the consoles today - but not with a PC or MAC so very easily, and with the Amiga there's no monitor required! - Just a telly.

So yeah, it bugs me when they said 'it can't do apps' (I was still using Easycalc years after I bought a PC). It 'can't run 3D games' (hunter?, vroom?, castle master?), 'it can't run Doom' (oh yeah?), 'it's not as friendly as the megadrive/saturn' (based on Sonic?), 'it's outdated' (but so is every other machine out there, including the aging X-360!), 'it's slow' (but boots in 2 seconds!), 'it's basic and bland' (ok, so a graphics card really helps here), 'it can't play video' (balls!), 'it's not compatable with anything' (double balls! - shapeshifter, Pctask), 'it's not a PC' (goood!!!!!!)
Old 20 February 2012, 18:07   #26
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
"You collect Omegas? Whats that?"
Old 20 February 2012, 19:08   #27
I.Did
in retromode

Now thats annoing..

... got that from a so-called friend on Skype.

I told him that he would never understand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disc.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	30615  
Old 20 February 2012, 19:09   #28
fishyfish
Banned

Most of the stuff here isnt so much about non amigans, but rather peoples who's computer literacy skills arent great, or who are too young and as such were never exposed to certain eras of computing. To be brutally honest I see just as much annoying stuff written by amiga users as those of any other platforms.

Having said that though, the "lag" one gets me a bit, as does any use of terms that a person clearly doesnt understand. The bigger annoyance though is when terms are misused to such a degree that an entire generation of people will use it in it's innaccurate guise.
Old 20 February 2012, 20:08   #29
moxavius

Most annoying are big-sounding words used in Information Technology.

Deployment: "We have budgeted $1.5 Million to 'deploy' Windows 7."
Architect as a verb: "Need consultant to 'architect' EMC storage arrays."
Migration: "We're 'migrating' to M-Sexchange."
Enterprise: "Bob's Buffalo Biscuits is migrating to Windows 7 throughout the 'enterprise'."

Even worse are some of the job descriptions I see on Monster. "Ideal candidate will have immediate recollection of every idiotic acronym ever conceived in the last 25 years. Candidate must have 20 years of experience with increasing responsibilities and be willing to work for $10 per hour with eagerness to work nights and weekends. Ideal candidate will be Jesus Christ himself.."
Old 20 February 2012, 20:13   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Let's not forget the terrible, terrible abuse of the term "impact analysis".
Old 20 February 2012, 20:24   #31
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
certain eras of computing
That is just as bad. Amigas are modern computers from the modern computer era, same goes for the 8bit machines (C64, Spectrum, etc.) that came shortly before it
Old 20 February 2012, 20:37   #32
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxavius View Post
Most annoying are big-sounding words used in Information Technology.

Deployment: "We have budgeted $1.5 Million to 'deploy' Windows 7."
Architect as a verb: "Need consultant to 'architect' EMC storage arrays."
Migration: "We're 'migrating' to M-Sexchange."
Enterprise: "Bob's Buffalo Biscuits is migrating to Windows 7 throughout the 'enterprise'."

Even worse are some of the job descriptions I see on Monster. "Ideal candidate will have immediate recollection of every idiotic acronym ever conceived in the last 25 years. Candidate must have 20 years of experience with increasing responsibilities and be willing to work for $10 per hour with eagerness to work nights and weekends. Ideal candidate will be Jesus Christ himself.."
Yes, this pretty much typifies most of the corporate speak out there, for the ultimate in meaningless shallow self-aggrandizing verbiage you only need to listen to a Microsoft Keynote speech, involutunary rage spasms are a given.
Old 20 February 2012, 20:38   #33
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
What drives me nuts is when non Amigans they say that keeping a bulky Amiga and monitor in my computer room is stupid when I can emulate the whole thing. And what REALLY drives me nuts is when *Amigans* say the same thing.
Old 20 February 2012, 21:04   #34
moxavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Yes, this pretty much typifies most of the corporate speak out there, for the ultimate in meaningless shallow self-aggrandizing verbiage you only need to listen to a Microsoft Keynote speech, involutunary rage spasms are a given.

lol. And lets not forget 'innovative"!! God, I hate that word. Can someone please INNOVATE a new buzzword? Totally freaking useless.
Old 20 February 2012, 21:38   #35
mombasajoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
"You collect Omegas? Whats that?"
Thatīs an OMEGA:

and YES, itīs really annoying
Old 20 February 2012, 23:25   #36
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
"I have better games in my phone, turn it off" when he saw Jaguar XJ220.
Juy juy juy ja jaja.... joi joi jejejejeje (it's in spanish)
Old 20 February 2012, 23:40   #37
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
You can still do this with the consoles today - but not with a PC or MAC so very easily, and with the Amiga there's no monitor required! - Just a telly
Are you talking about present tense now or past? Because if you're talking present, I'm pretty sure plugging a PC into a mass-market 'television-like' device is pretty straightforward...
Old 21 February 2012, 00:04   #38
onkelarie

For me, the most annoying thing a non-amigan can say is: What the freck is an amiga? Your girlfriend?

*blushing*

"in a kind of digital / hardware kind of way..."
Old 21 February 2012, 12:53   #39
Patarival

We always called the Amiga "girlfriend".

the thing is, I don't mind if the common man doesn't know what an Amiga is anymore. Lot's of people don't know what a Dreamcast or a 3DO is.
But I just cannot understand when someone that works with computers doesn't know what an Amiga is. I mean, it was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
Old 21 February 2012, 13:53   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
But I just cannot understand when someone that works with computers doesn't know what an Amiga is. I mean, it was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
I can. The Amiga was a machine with a soul - that has helped for us to create a loving link with the machine. What dudes/dudettes today have to work with is no more than a tool, an appliance. Why would it occur to anyone to give it a second thought? I don't care about what models of drilling equipment existed 20 years ago either.
AdSense AdSense