English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2012, 01:58   #141
prowler
Global Moderator

Okay, AIAB-r10d-update.zip is now in The Zone, with content identical to the rar archive I uploaded yesterday.

Conversion to 7-zip is proving troublesome as well. The r10d-update/WinUAE/Harddrives/Workbench/Classes/Images directory timestamp is changed on conversion, and it looks impossible to fix it manually, so I'm not going to persist with it.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:01   #142
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I haven't had a post in my thread... jeje. Do you know what browser does AIAB use?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66211

And the thing is that it's GOOD, and with key...
Old 11 October 2012, 05:37   #143
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@prowler
The download page re-structure is aimed at helping new users, easily identify which package to download, and as zip files are pretty much common currency on windows, that's why they where chosen.

That said, I'll need to convert 'aiab-r10.6-20071213.zip' and 'aiab-r10.6-afaos-20071225.zip' to LHA for the Amiga section at the top of the downloads page, seeing as LHA is the default for Amiga.

I only removed the rars because there were already zip files available.

I honestly don't see the point in FOL hosting 5 packages of the same content with different compression systems (lha, rar, zip, 7z, tar.gz). LHA and ZIP, fair enough, but otherwise it's a waste of web space, not to mention very confusing for new users.

And thank you for more lovely files.

@Retrofan
Voyager 3.

When you say key, did the internet pack come with a key file or did you acquire one elsewhere.

I won't be looking at the application addon packs until later next year.

In fact it might be better to concentrate any development of application addon packs on Bloodwych's ClassicWB and do some kind of modification, if needed to get them working on AIAB. It would be better to have once source of application pack than several different interpretations. Would need some thought though.

[Edit] The Download page archives have been updated with the new files

Last edited by MadAngus; 11 October 2012 at 06:57.
Old 11 October 2012, 10:19   #144
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngus View Post
@Retrofan
Voyager 3.

When you say key, did the internet pack come with a key file or did you acquire one elsewhere.
Ah, yes. It's in the file server. Don't know if they shared it.

Edit: It was. I don't find it now.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 October 2012 at 11:41.
Old 11 October 2012, 12:01   #145
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

Is it necessary to download all the revision packs, or is there a complete WinUAE install that already has these added?
Old 11 October 2012, 12:30   #146
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@Basquemactee1
Just download 'aiab-r10.6-20071213.zip' from the top of the downloads page, that's all you need.

This file has all the updates the revision packs have.

@Retrofan
I take it your saying the key file was not in the AIAB package you used, but it was from some other file server.
Old 11 October 2012, 12:36   #147
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes that's right. Now I don't find a place to download it. At least I've got one for me .
Old 11 October 2012, 12:43   #148
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes that's right. Now I don't find a place to download it. At least I've got one for me .
Cheers.
Old 11 October 2012, 17:51   #149
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Okay, AIAB-r10d-update.zip is now in The Zone, with content identical to the rar archive I uploaded yesterday.

Conversion to 7-zip is proving troublesome as well. The r10d-update/WinUAE/Harddrives/Workbench/Classes/Images directory timestamp is changed on conversion, and it looks impossible to fix it manually, so I'm not going to persist with it.
Following a brainwave this afternoon, I have discovered how to reverse changes that zip to 7-zip conversion makes to time and date stamps!

The bad news is that all time and date stamps in this archive have been changed in the same way and so have all those in the AIAB-r10d.7z full version archive I uploaded last week. Therefore I have removed it from The Zone.

@MadAngus: Since you've said that zip will be the preferred AIAB archive format for Windows, then I'll just concentrate on providing those from now on and save the new archive conversion knowledge I have gained for other projects.
Old 11 October 2012, 18:15   #150
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@prowler
Apologies if any of that did waste some of your time , but I'm glad you did get some archiving techniques out of it.

Out of curiosity do you know of a good LHA archiver for windows (archiving and extraction). Just for those instances when I don't want to use the Amiga archivers.
Old 11 October 2012, 19:37   #151
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@prowler
Apologies if any of that did waste some of your time , but I'm glad you did get some archiving techniques out of it.
There's no need to apologize. I never waste my time studying binary code in connection with archives or disk images. I always learn something to add to my notebook...

Quote:
Out of curiosity do you know of a good LHA archiver for windows (archiving and extraction). Just for those instances when I don't want to use the Amiga archivers.
I don't know of any archiver for Windows designed for both archiving to and extraction from that format but, if there were one, any archives created with it would be found to be broken when imported to an Amiga environment for two reasons:
  1. The Windows filesystem has no provision for storing all Amiga file attributes, and
  2. Amiga can use some characters for filenames which are illegal when used in Windows.
Therefore, you should stick with Amiga versions of LHA to create archives for both Amiga and Linux platforms.

Last edited by prowler; 11 October 2012 at 19:45.
Old 11 October 2012, 22:01   #152
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I dont know, 7Zip does a good job with LHA archives, but I would agree best to stick to doing it in an Amiga enviroment.
Old 12 October 2012, 04:54   #153
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Cheers folk.

LHA's done in Amiga only it is then.
Old 12 October 2012, 11:38   #154
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Spot the difference.

Spent some time recreating the text graphics using the Britannic Bold font identified by SkydivinGirl on AmiBay, and messing with kerning, blending options and drop shadows, here is the result.

What do you think?

The left one is my attempt.

[Edit] FOL, prowler, All, what's your opinions on all the archived files being converted to LHA. i.e. extracted onto a WinUAE harddisk and re-compressed in LHA format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TextColouringSample.png
Views:	149
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	32872  

Last edited by MadAngus; 12 October 2012 at 18:09.
Old 12 October 2012, 22:03   #155
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Spot the difference.

Spent some time recreating the text graphics using the Britannic Bold font identified by SkydivinGirl on AmiBay, and messing with kerning, blending options and drop shadows, here is the result.

What do you think?

That's not bad at all!

Quote:
[Edit] FOL, prowler, All, what's your opinions on all the archived files being converted to LHA. i.e. extracted onto a WinUAE harddisk and re-compressed in LHA format.
Yep, that should work. Some minor adjustments might be needed, but that's definitely the way to go at first.

Post one up when you're ready and we'll see. Just make sure you don't delete the zip archives by mistake.
Old 12 October 2012, 22:23   #156
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Spot the difference.

What do you think?

Looking good.
Old 13 October 2012, 12:06   #157
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

Tx MadAngus.....am doing it now and will have a wee look later on!!
Old 13 October 2012, 12:15   #158
Bloodwych

Wow, you guys really ran with this didn't you?

Great work!!!!!
Old 13 October 2012, 13:26   #159
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

This weeks Humble Pie mp3!

Right folks for this week I need a new Humble Pie mp3! for the front page, so if you've created a music mod or a piece of game music submit it here.

Say about 1 - 3 mins, in mp3 format. Nothing rude.

Posted on UltimateAmiga, EAB and AmiBay. earliest submission in between these sites (only one), gets used.

I won't be archiving the Humble Pie mp3's, they'll be replaced each week, that is unless the community wants them archived.

The mp3 will be updated late Sunday night.

[Edit] So that the this site doesn't get overloaded with mp3's please submit your mp3 on the UltimateAmiga thread -> Here or provide a link to it.

Must be your own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Wow, you guys really ran with this didn't you?

Great work!!!!!
Cheers, and we're only getting started.

Last edited by MadAngus; 13 October 2012 at 21:31.
Old 13 October 2012, 23:19   #160
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Right folks for this week I need a new Humble Pie mp3! for the front page, so if you've created a music mod or a piece of game music submit it here.

Say about 1 - 3 mins, in mp3 format. Nothing rude.

Posted on UltimateAmiga, EAB and AmiBay. earliest submission in between these sites (only one), gets used.

I won't be archiving the Humble Pie mp3's, they'll be replaced each week, that is unless the community wants them archived.

The mp3 will be updated late Sunday night.

[Edit] So that the this site doesn't get overloaded with mp3's please submit your mp3 on the UltimateAmiga thread -> Here or provide a link to it.

Must be your own work.

Cheers, and we're only getting started.
That's a great idea !! And when you'll have enough you could put a player there to play them ramdomly, like a radio station.