English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 December 2015, 04:33   #161
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
One of my earliest pieces of Asm was a copper list generator that i loaded into an AMOS memory bank, it generated a dual-playfield screen with, i think, 64 layers background scrolling (foreground was static titlescreen). I have lost it now, sadly, it might be on a floppy disk in my dad's attic.
Don't let them there for too long, the magnetic microscopic kittens which live on their surface tend to not like the temperature changes typical of attics.

Last year, I got back my Amiga hard drives which had ended up somehow in my parents's attic and they were riddled with errors, still readable but only barely.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 December 2015, 14:29   #162
Leffmann

Well, that was the end of that. I wonder which one of KevG's three friendly posts got him banned this time. Or did the moderator who banned him the last time start a discussion in PM to instigate and find a reason for banning him again?
Old 22 December 2015, 14:35   #163
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Blood hell, that was fast! Must have been something fairly major. Bugger.
Old 22 December 2015, 20:57   #164
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Don't let them there for too long, the magnetic microscopic kittens which live on their surface tend to not like the temperature changes typical of attics.
oh i know, i have long given up on any of them, anyway a whole box of disks i had mysteriously vanished at one point, no idea what happened to them.
Old 23 December 2015, 13:21   #165
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Well, that was the end of that. I wonder which one of KevG's three friendly posts got him banned this time. Or did the moderator who banned him the last time start a discussion in PM to instigate and find a reason for banning him again?
My goodness, this is ridiculous.

Is such thing as making amends or forgiveness impossible to expect on the EAB and banning is a life sentence from moderators whose judgement is perfect, absolute and everlasting?

If that is the case, what a very sad view of mankind this represents.
I think the Amiga spirit deserves better ideas and efforts than that.
Old 23 December 2015, 14:00   #166
idrougge

Well, I don't know if Kev posted a lot of unwelcome nazi opinions in the off-topic section, but it certainly makes EAB a lesser place if truly creative people are driven away like this.
Old 23 December 2015, 14:03   #167
Retro1234

Ask the mods they must have there reasons but it Xmas so fuck it and thread stuppid we have Blaze almost perfect gameplay.
Old 23 December 2015, 14:28   #168
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I don't think the mods need justify their reasons, just an unfortunate situation.
Old 23 December 2015, 15:23   #169
Leffmann

Quote:
My goodness, this is ridiculous.

Is such thing as making amends or forgiveness impossible to expect on the EAB and banning is a life sentence from moderators whose judgement is perfect, absolute and everlasting?
If you ask one certain moderator, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Blood hell, that was fast! Must have been something fairly major. Bugger.
Yes, a fairly major problem - on the moderator side.

Quote:
I don't think the mods need justify their reasons, just an unfortunate situation.
How about this thread below then, was the ban justified?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74265

I don't know what KevG did, but it can hardly warrant a lifetime ban. When moderators go looking for reasons and are allowed to ban people on a whim because they just dislike them, then it's more than an "unfortunate situation".
Old 02 January 2016, 21:57   #170
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Ask the mods they must have there reasons
And how would we know if these reasons are valid or not?
Moderation is opaque on the EAB and after reading the rules (upon registration) I never saw a sliver of which criteria are used to ban people.
This means that it is up to moderators to make their criteria so, yup, "they must have their reasons", but the important question which is "what are these reasons and are they valid and compatible with creative discussion" cannot be answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
but it Xmas so fuck it and thread stuppid we have Blaze almost perfect gameplay.
I am not sure how to interpret this. These two things are not related at all?
Unless you are saying that since you got a nice Xmas gift then it does not matter if someone is potentially unjustly banned?

Quote:
Well, I think they do, because we do post on this board so it is important for us to know how and why people can be banned. If this is arbitrary and up to the moderator's mood then this means everyone has to follow some arbitrary restrictions which is not very compatible with creativity and free exchange of ideas.

If there is a series of objective criteria which are well thought out and reasonable then no one needs to fear they might be banned for expressing their views just because some moderator did not like what he read.

This completely changes the mood of the board.

Also, the idea of indefinite banning is outdated, people change, and even if they persisted, temporarily banning them once in a while would not be that much of a burden given the amount of moderators on the board.

I sure hope the EAB was acting in a more adult and transparent way about this.
Old 03 January 2016, 02:01   #171
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Well, I think they do, because we do post on this board so it is important for us to know how and why people can be banned. If this is arbitrary and up to the moderator's mood then this means everyone has to follow some arbitrary restrictions which is not very compatible with creativity and free exchange of ideas.

If there is a series of objective criteria which are well thought out and reasonable then no one needs to fear they might be banned for expressing their views just because some moderator did not like what he read.

This completely changes the mood of the board.

Also, the idea of indefinite banning is outdated, people change, and even if they persisted, temporarily banning them once in a while would not be that much of a burden given the amount of moderators on the board.

I sure hope the EAB was acting in a more adult and transparent way about this.
You make some good points, I certainly don't think moderators should ban somebody just because they don't agree with their point of view, or because they don't like them on a personal level. Certainly not a fan or permabanning, extreme cases maybe.

But as I see it, a heated conversation became just a little too heated and ended up crossing a line. But how do we define this line? Somebody has to make that judgement call, and I`m not sure you can distil it down to a perfect science which gives you the perfect outcome each time. A member was given a chance to retract and apologise, they didn't.

I mean, it's not like this is a governmental body or a justice movement. It's a place where people hang out and chat Amiga, a place you can spend some quality time in polite conversation with like minded people. The moderators keep the wheels oiled so it stays like that, if they see somebody upsetting the balance they step in.

What's the banning average? Per Year? How does it compare to other communities? I don't know those numbers, but I get the sense things are very fair, balanced and friendly here.
Old 03 January 2016, 03:51   #172
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It would be helpful to know what happened exactly? Some degree of measured transparency is at least required imo, particularly if someone receives a perma ban?
Old 03 January 2016, 03:55   #173
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
It would be helpful to know what happened exactly? Some degree of measured transparency is at least required imo, particularly if someone receives a perma ban?
Agreed, transparency is key in every moderation action. Erasing "offending" messages doesn't help the moderation team work at their best.
Old 26 June 2016, 11:15   #174
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

I wonder why nobody has mentioned OSCAR so far.
[ Show youtube player ]
Very colourful, parallax, and amiga tricks used wisely!
Old 26 June 2016, 15:13   #175
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
that does look very nice... but is it 50fps?
Old 26 June 2016, 17:38   #176
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Probably because Oscar is AGA and only ECS machines were around when Sonic was released.
AGA makes the task much easier (although a perfect port still seems impossible on a stock machine).
Old 27 June 2016, 11:29   #177
vulture

Yes, Oscar is 50 fps
Old 27 June 2016, 18:08   #178
gazj82

I haven't read the whole thread. But Kid Chaos is the closest on A500 in my opinion. I think the A500 could have done a very good Sonic port in the right hands and the A1200 could have easily done it.
Old 28 June 2016, 14:46   #179
roondar

Quote:
Probably because Oscar is AGA and only ECS machines were around when Sonic was released.
AGA makes the task much easier (although a perfect port still seems impossible on a stock machine).
According to HOL there is an OCS version of Oscar. Not nearly as pretty as the AGA one, naturally.
Old 28 June 2016, 15:00   #180
nobody

I believe it could not be done exactly as megadrive, but dropping the 2nd layer and use copper and some sprites in the background could be done I guess. Different style but there you are
AdSense AdSense