English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 July 2012, 07:43   #441
fishyfish
Banned

@Codetapper

That's RetroGamer unfortunately. Good, fun magazine, but its not exactly the most professional magazine in the world. It reads like a magazine put together by a bunch of enthusiasts of different systems, each with their own innacurate bias. Has always been that way. There's lots of mistakes per issue that stand out to anyone who was around in the era it targets. I only flicked throug the current issue for a few minutes at the newsagency and I spotted a few already (claims the amiga is only capable of addressing 1 button for example )

Nonetheless, congrats Graham Humphray.

Last edited by fishyfish; 24 July 2012 at 11:26.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 July 2012, 10:24   #442
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Another review and interview:

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2012/07/downfall-amiga.html

I'm getting a taste for this... definitely time for a new project very soon
Old 25 July 2012, 13:51   #443
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I will add the link to the website later.
Old 26 July 2012, 18:58   #444
fishyfish
Banned

Let me know when/if you decide to tackle another game. Im kinda itching to do some sort of retro remake again at the moment, but struggle to make a decision. My brain keeps going back to c64 days. Dan Dare 1, Parallax and Target Renegade and a few others. Alternatively Ive always liked the idea of doing AGA remakes of Cinemaware games. Despite being nicely presented and polished games, theyre mostly a bunch of simplistic gamestyles theyre made of up. Sinbad And The Throne Of The Falcon is the forerunner there for me, both because I quite enjoyed it and though it was under-rated, and 'cos the version made after the amiga version were a little finetuned/different, and it'd be nice to incorporate some of that stuff into an Amiga remake.

Not that Im set in stone as to what I want to make, but unless I can think of something that I appeals to me more soon I'll probably roll a dice or something to pick one of the above at random (unless of course someone else has something fun for me to help with )
Old 28 July 2012, 15:13   #445
pubzombie

Great game and diary - thanx GH.
Just read your interview in RetroGamer too
On your way to fame
Old 11 September 2012, 23:34   #446
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Has anyone tested this on a real A500? I wrote the ADF to two separate disks (five times each, to be sure) and tested it on three of our A500s, and got the same result on all three from both disks. After the title screen loads it quits back to AmigaDOS.

I understand it works in WinUAE, and since it's released and been reviewed I assume it's been tested and found working on A500s, so I must be doing something wrong, I guess. I've tried with and without an external floppy drive attached, with and without a mouse... haven't tried loading it with the disk upside down yet but I have a feeling that won't work either.
Old 12 September 2012, 00:08   #447
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

I don't have an A500 myself (although if anybody does have one and has tested the game on it please do post your findings here as that will be more useful than anything I can write), but I will try and find a solution if I can.

How much memory do your A500s have? What Kickstart chip also?

Does the music start playing before it quits out? During testing a few days before release, I had the game quit out to AmigaDOS like you describe. The music loaded and started playing and it quit shortly afterwards.

It does need 1MB Chip RAM to run so if you have 512K Chip and 512K Fast unfortunately it doesn't work.

Obviously testing in WinUAE isn't the same as a real Amiga so as I say, it will be interesting to hear from people who have tested it on a real A500.
Old 12 September 2012, 00:21   #448
clenched

I know it works on my A500. Go back to tab 8 or so on this thread to read about the troubles encountered. This is for the WIP and the version published on Aminet. Naturally the AGA WIPs weren't tested which are the one's currently being discussed. My machine: either KS2.04 or 1.3 and a minimum of 1Meg chip ram. Extra memory or more floppy drives doesn't matter.
Old 12 September 2012, 00:36   #449
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Ah, these are all just plain A500s with Kickstart 1.3 and 512kb ChipRAM. Two of them have 512k expansions, but yeah if it needs 1MB Chip that explains why it's not working.

The music never started either, it just quit back after the title screen loaded. I could run it again without rebooting by typing "Downfall" in AmigaDOS, and it ran again and quit again, but at least it's not a crash or anything.

It boots and runs fine on the A1200s and a CD32 with a floppy drive connected, although you're pretty much stuck without a keyboard on the high score table so it'll be cool if you find the motivation to add that, at least to the AGA version.

I haven't tried the AGA version yet, but I can burn it to a CD and try it on the CD32 and let you know the results if you want. In fact if you ever need anything tested on real hardware, we have a whole office full of Amigas (no big boxes though) for testing software and hardware, so just let me know what you want me to try. This goes for anyone still developing anything for Amigas.
Old 12 September 2012, 01:01   #450
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

To be honest, I kinda lost the motivation to fully finish the AGA version. There wasn't a big demand for it and the level of interest wasn't the same - but then that's not a surprise as the game was already done and dusted. And I didn't fancy writing an entirely new text input routine with the joypad - it seemed a lot of work for what it was. I think I burnt myself out by working so hard on it in the run-up to the game's release.

On the game's website, the 2nd AGA WIP allows you to skip through the high score table by pressing fire so even though it is a hell of a bodge, at least you won't get stuck on a CD32 (although you wouldn't be able to save the highscores anyway of course). You can pause and turn music/sound on/off with the pad during the game though. No-one has let me know if it actually works on a CD32 so it would be quite nice to find out!

I will start a new project very soon now. It won't be AGA but I plan to build in CD32 pad support from the beginning to avoid problems later on, so it will be totally CD32-friendly. I will do a new thread when I have something tangible up and running but it will take a bit longer and require more groundwork to be laid than Downfall. Hopefully the results will be worth it. Of course any testing on different setups at various points will be very gratefully received and will prove very useful.
Old 12 September 2012, 02:13   #451
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

No worries, it's up to you if you want to leave the game the way it is. I'm pretty sure we'd have no problem generating more interest in an AGA version if you wanted to go back to work on it, but I'm not sure if you wanted me involved, which is why I have stayed out of this thread until now. I only posted because I'm trying to get a few newer A500 games together for a retrogaming night with some mates and was hoping this could be one of the games we could play on the A500 in the games room.
Old 12 September 2012, 10:22   #452
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I think AGA version is finished, it only doesn't support CD32. It can be added to HOL atm.
Old 13 September 2012, 23:29   #453
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
To be honest, I kinda lost the motivation to fully finish the AGA version. There wasn't a big demand for it and the level of interest wasn't the same - but then that's not a surprise as the game was already done and dusted. And I didn't fancy writing an entirely new text input routine with the joypad - it seemed a lot of work for what it was. I think I burnt myself out by working so hard on it in the run-up to the game's release.
Still here waiting patiently for it

I know how you feel. When I get near to finishing a project I just want to get it done so badly that I often neglect checking my emails and playing videogames just to get the extra time to get it finished quicker.
Once finished, I then spend a few weeks relaxing before diving straight into the next project...
Old 13 September 2012, 23:43   #454
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I realise this isn't much of a conciliation but i'd really, REALLY appreciate some insight into AGA. I've been following your progress throughout, read your Amiga magazine articles etc etc. So far, your articles have given me more insight into Blitz than any mag article in the last 15 years.

Please dont give up. I for one would pay in Hens Teeth for a partial direct brain transplant/lobotomy for that frontal lobe knowledge you have, if it didn't risk us both becoming vegetables that is.

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 13 September 2012 at 23:48.
Old 14 September 2012, 22:08   #455
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Still here waiting patiently for it

I know how you feel. When I get near to finishing a project I just want to get it done so badly that I often neglect checking my emails and playing videogames just to get the extra time to get it finished quicker.
Once finished, I then spend a few weeks relaxing before diving straight into the next project...
I started to get up earlier in the mornings just so I could do some work on it before I went to work. The last couple of weeks were a bit like that, most other things were shelved just so I could get it over with. Was well worth it though - problem is I've taken a bit more than a few weeks relaxing...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
I realise this isn't much of a conciliation but i'd really, REALLY appreciate some insight into AGA. I've been following your progress throughout, read your Amiga magazine articles etc etc. So far, your articles have given me more insight into Blitz than any mag article in the last 15 years.

Please dont give up. I for one would pay in Hens Teeth for a partial direct brain transplant/lobotomy for that frontal lobe knowledge you have, if it didn't risk us both becoming vegetables that is.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it. I am glad you've found all this useful, that was the aim of the exercise really. I am not too sure what insight you would like into AGA though. The Downfall AGA archive on the game's website has the source code with it and contains the parallax scrolling routine. Actually physically using it in Blitz shouldn't be too big a leap from using OCS/ECS stuff, in terms of setting up displays and bitmaps etc.
Old 14 November 2012, 19:41   #456
diablothe2nd

Hi Graham,

While hunting for and downloading a massive amount of games with source to read and learn from I got your agaWIP2.

I've got the bb2 open in TED2.1 (found a newer more user friendly version) and i'm getting ????? and on compiling it throws a "Token Not Found: $1C01" error.

found mention of it in my BB2.1 manual which says "When loading source, Blitz 2 replaces any unfound tokens with ?????, compiling your code with these unkown tokens present will generate the above error"

what it doesn't say is what i'm missing. What is a token? am i missing an include or library?
Old 14 November 2012, 20:07   #457
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Yes, it looks like I've used a library you don't have. Could you post the line(s) of code that bring this up so I can work out what you're missing?
Old 14 November 2012, 20:12   #458
diablothe2nd

it's lines:

139 - dummy=?????
140 - ????? 48
141 - dummy=?????(0)

221 - mt=1:mus=?????
222 - if mus=?????

332 - mt=1:mus=?????
333 - if mus=0 then ?????
Old 14 November 2012, 20:16   #459
diablothe2nd

edited in a snip of the line where the ?????'s are.

looks like you are using a music library i dont have.
Old 14 November 2012, 20:22   #460
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

They're the commands that deal with the loading and playing of the music. I suspect you aren't using the Blitz Support Suite - I think this can be installed from the Ultimate Blitz Basic CD or you can get hold of it here.

Alternatively, if you just comment the offending lines out, and also comment out the If...EndIf bits that surround the latter two blocks you posted that should also work (albeit with no music).
AdSense AdSense