English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 September 2002, 02:43   #1
backtoskooldaze

Wink Amigaone board's here at last :)

Officially on www.eyetech.co.uk

I wonder who will moan the first all bets on please

"it's cost's too much" or "how long do i have to wait for delivery i have waited almost a millenium for it to be true" or "i should get a tower thrown in for that price" or "amiga's dead why bother" or "i don't get my giro till next week"
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 September 2002, 04:08   #2
blackcornflake

This is a Good Thing.

I'm not gonna moan!

I just wonder why Eyetech haven't made a big song and dance about it on their website? No news story, even. Maybe that will come soon.

This must mean OS4 is really ready to come out. Now that is quite exciting.

Personally still waiting for Elbox and their SharkPPC card. The A1 board won't fit in my A1200 setup.

I'll play bookie on da moans. Me: 100/1. Akira: 4/7. Twist: 2/1. Fred: 100/30. Shadowfire: 12/1. IanS: Evens.

Smart money: Each way on Fred.
Old 08 September 2002, 05:00   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So what does one do with this board? Enlighten me, no kidding, want to understand.
Old 08 September 2002, 05:14   #4
blackcornflake

Plug it into your A1200. Software written with the A1 hardware in mind will use the hardware resources on that card. Software which absolutely requires A1200 chips to work (old games etc), and cannot be retargeted or emulated will use the A1200 resources instead.
Old 08 September 2002, 05:48   #5
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Plug it into your A1200. Software written with the A1 hardware in mind will use the hardware resources on that card. Software which absolutely requires A1200 chips to work (old games etc), and cannot be retargeted or emulated will use the A1200 resources instead.
Wasn't that the original plan? But you don't see or here anything about how this AmigaOne will interface with an A1200. PCMCIA, perhaps or some special hardware interface. Either way no one has been mentioning anything about if this interface will be included with the AmigaOne board or a base system. Might be an additional price to pay for those that want it.
Old 08 September 2002, 06:08   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So, if you can use this board to operate all and any A1 programs, on your Amiga 1200 [will it work on an Amiga 2500 or 3000?], then the only reason to manufacture an AmigaOne is because most Amiga 1200's are dead or on their last legs, correct?
Further, this means you can run Amiga OS 4 on an Amiga 1200 [or 2500 or 4000 etc]?
This means Burseg & Akira can use their old apps and games
and run Amiga OS 4.
Pretty cool, but lousy business practice, because it'll mean buying an AmigaOne will be superflous. i guess its like upgrading your existing Amiga. Why should anyone with a working Amiga 1200 buy a new AmigaOne? And Amiga, unlike Sony or Compaq etc, cannot afford to lose money on hardware. Unless, they don't even control the hardware. Its such a confusing operation. Not the kind of computer/software company that gives me confidence.
Please correct any wrong assumptions on my part hardware-wise.
Old 08 September 2002, 06:39   #7
blackcornflake

Unless the plans have changed radically, I think the idea is this:

Hardware specification required to run AmigaOS4 is dubbed 'Zico'.

Zico is any of:
Classic Amiga + AmigaOne
Classic Amiga + SharkPPC
Classic Amiga + phase5 PPC card

I don't know about non-A1200 options. I know not how an AmigaOne might interface with an A1200. I await more info. But I do know that the whole point behind the thing is to allow existing Amiga owners to upgrade to G3, and not farm their A1200s off in doing so. Old games should work. Akira should still be able to play Great Giana Sisters without emulation.

Maybe I'm completely wrong. I am a bit stuck for news these days, as the last print mag in the UK disappeared a few months ago. The net seems to be a variable source of reliable info.
Old 08 September 2002, 06:47   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ok thanks for the info, Blacky
Weird, were I a hardware manufacturer, I'd want people to trash their 10 year old machines. I don't understand. Maybe its a solution for the fact that AmigaOne cannot use legacy hardware. Maybe thats why it just popped up out of nowhere.
Old 08 September 2002, 06:55   #9
blackcornflake

Nah, the AmigaOne has been in development for what seems like forever. My A1200 was probably a mere 8 years old when it was announced.

I'm sure it is supposed to be compatible with old Amiga hardware, btw. Unless the plan has changed for the nth time.
Old 08 September 2002, 07:34   #10
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Plug it into your A1200.
You got it wrong now me matey. That card is never gonna be made so there is NO interface with A1200 motherboards. I am not talking out of my arse, Korodny told us already weeks ago.

For further info check out the Amiga Development thread! I was considering an A1 because of its interfacing with A12ks but now I know its just useless shite for me.

I rather get a pegasos./
Old 08 September 2002, 07:47   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Akira, how can it never be made if Eyetech has it on sale now? I am SO confused, man.
Old 08 September 2002, 07:50   #12
Akira

I am talking about the card that interfaces the A1200 with the A1 motherboard. If they say they have it for sale, that's fucking bollocks. Korodny told us already!!!

Just checked. They don't. you just misread my post, I was not talking bout A1 boards...

PIMPSLAP!

Old 08 September 2002, 08:27   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

LOL!! ok, but who cares if the A1 boards don't interface, if this new board can do what an AmigaOne does?
Old 08 September 2002, 08:50   #14
Akira

EH?
I'm getting it all wrong now man... you two are talking about the Shark I presume.

LIBERACESLAP!
Old 08 September 2002, 09:18   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So you mean, its NOT for sale as backtoskooldaze says? I can't even find it on the website. Clear this up please , backtoskooldaze.
Old 08 September 2002, 10:05   #16
Akira

Ok, FACTS

Amiga One : For sale at Eyetch's Site
Amiga One to A1200 interface card : vapourware, non existant, hoax, etc.
Shark PPC : Not yet released A1200 addon

Frederic : One confused bitch
Old 08 September 2002, 10:56   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Pretty cool, but lousy business practice, because it'll mean buying an AmigaOne will be superflous. i guess its like upgrading your existing Amiga.
I wouldn't say so.

The most people likely to still be buying Amiga products are the existing loyal Amiga users. I would be pi**ed off to buy a brand new Amiga and find it didn't run most of my old games.

But I think the AmigaOne will still have some takers providing it is marketed right. It will obviously start of as a small niche-market machine, but getting a user-base established is not a overnight thing. And once you get into the "good-circle" of more users you have more software/hardware, more users, more software/hardware, more users.......

Think of how many Amiga user's there used to be ? You only have to guess by looking at the magazine subscriptions, and I know many Amiga friends who never bought the magazines. All these ex-users are now mostly in their mid 20's to late 30's.

If a advert comes on during prime time selling a brand new Amiga (the Amiga is still alive/you thought we were dead etc...) AND they ram down people's throats the fact that you can still play your old games how many people are gonna be tempted ? Probably the majority of the people who would have maybe thought about a Mac for certain (they are more open-minded and would certainly look at it). Plus those people who reluctantly switched to the PC after the Amiga commerically died.

Apple managed to come back from the dead by releasing the iMac. The Amiga peolpe have to create one cool, competative product. It's not only the inside that matters, it's also the outside (e.g. iMac). But the Amiga name alone is still a valuable asset as it will evoke strong memories.

You show me one computer user who still doesn't sometimes think of his old computer and it's software ? I would say all computer users do it. We are just on the extreme scale and join "retro-boards" as we love to think about the old machines on a day-to-day basis.

Of course we would be kidding if we thought that it would take over the PC compatible's mantle as the No 1 selling machine, but given time I wouldn't bet against it selling above Apple.

Have I been taking my happy pills again, is this wishful thinking, am I just a eternal optimist ! ?

Old 08 September 2002, 11:21   #18
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
I would be pi**ed off to buy a brand new Amiga and find it didn't run most of my old games.
What if it runs NONE of your old games? Because it actually runs ZERO of them!

The iMac had full compatibility with previous PPC Macintoshes, and decent compatibility with 68k software. IMO, a very different case to that of the A1.
Old 08 September 2002, 11:25   #19
Jim

With that card thingy I can still run old games though can't I ?

Old 08 September 2002, 11:52   #20
oldpx

Well I already meet zico specifications with my PPC and I'm too short on cash to go for a faster solution for os4, I hope the circumstances will be changed when I do, maybe that bridge between 1200 and A1 will be out or hopefully the SharkPPC or maybe a new mediator with AGP slot. I dreaming again

AdSense AdSense