English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 January 2012, 18:24   #1
a4k-oerx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 110
Post Former WinUAE developer arrested

Former WinUAE developer Mathias Ortman has been arrested amongst others by the FBI in New Zealand in a case against megaupload.com where he apparently has been CTO and director.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01...tcom_arrested/
http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery...s_Kim_Schmitz/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ploads-closure
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ringement.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-6292290.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24845..._in_court.html

Did not know that US laws are enforced worldwide now...
a4k-oerx is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 January 2012, 23:33   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits
cosmicfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: leek, Staffs, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,555
Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Its one thing been arrested but been charged is another thing completely and by far more important
cosmicfrog is offline  
Old 20 January 2012, 23:37   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Did not know that US laws are enforced worldwide now...
They aren't. The USA used probably a treaty on mutual assistance in criminal matters, and have agreements with other countries like New Zealand.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 20 January 2012, 23:52   #4
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby
Age: 39
Posts: 1,898
Team America - World Police
Ian is offline  
Old 20 January 2012, 23:59   #5
Leffmann

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,029
Is it confirmed that it's the very same Mathias Ortmann then? I can imagine there's more than one person with that name.

I wonder if , Dropbox, etc. will follow now in the USA's agenda to control the Internet.
Leffmann is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:37   #6
gilgamesh
Linux snob

gilgamesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Monkey Island
Posts: 997
Probably not. It's not that common. I guess it's him.
gilgamesh is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:51   #7
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Is it confirmed that it's the very same Mathias Ortmann then? I can imagine there's more than one person with that name.
Well, the other guy, Kim "Dotcomm", was a known character to the german demoscene. Everybody hated him.

It was hinted at the SOPA thread that this Mathias might be the UAE developer and it might just be true, I just couldn't find any link online that would confirm so.

[edit]
Found a link here:
http://www.handelszeitung.ch/unterne...uehrt-nach-zug
Quote:
Mathias «Scuz» Ortmann erschuf sich in seinen Jugendjahren in der deutschen Hackerszene einigen Respekt. Er war es etwa, der einen Software-Emulator «UAE» des in den 80er-Jahren äusserst beliebten Heimcomputers «Amiga» auf die Windows-Plattform portierte. Seine Affinität zu Computern bestand schon früh. Es war darum nur folgerichtig, dass er am Institut für Informatik an der Technischen Universität München studierte.
This confirms him as the same guy.
Akira is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:54   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well, the other guy, Kim "Dotcomm", was a known character to the german demoscene. Everybody hated him.
Not in the demo scene! In the warez scene which is something completely different. And yes, Kimble was and is hated to this day.
StingRay is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:56   #9
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
I said it was a character WELL KNOWN TO the demoscene, not that he was part of it
Akira is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:57   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I said it was a character WELL KNOWN TO the demoiscene, not that he was part of it
And it is still wrong! The demo scene didn't care about Kimble.
StingRay is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 00:59   #11
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
No it isn't wrong. Many people there knew about the guy and hated him. He probably hung around some BBS or another too, from time to time.
How do you know about him? :P

Last edited by prowler; 21 January 2012 at 01:06.
Akira is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 01:02   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No it isn't wrong.
Yes of course. Because you were around back in the day in Germany when Kimble was active in the scene. I totally forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Many people there knew about the guy and hated him. He probably hung around some BBS or another too, from time to time.
He paid groups for warez and had his own BBS. So much for "he probably hung around some BBS or another".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
How do you know about him? :P
The real question is, why do you write about things you apparently don't have much clue about?

Last edited by StingRay; 21 January 2012 at 01:05. Reason: typo
StingRay is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 01:05   #13
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
The real question is, why do you get so uppity about something this retarded?
Read my words again: I said people from the demoscene KNEW ABOUT HIM, in the same way you or even I can know about him. Evidently you know more about him than me, but my original statement remains. I mentioned this because of what my friends have told me about.

The fact that you know about this character and the hatred towards him just confirms what I originally said.
Akira is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 01:19   #14
jonathan
Pastafarian

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Uppsala/Sweden
Posts: 243
What a mockery, the day after millions of people protest against SOPA, FBI takes down megaupload, doing operations in other countries?But, i fear that this will only continue, with going next, and so on...

Last edited by jonathan; 21 January 2012 at 01:49. Reason: Sorry for the rant
jonathan is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 01:20   #15
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby
Age: 39
Posts: 1,898
[ Show youtube player ]
Ian is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 14:44   #16
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
http://www.defacto2.net/file/detail/...oreAmiga/title
Akira is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 14:59   #17
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The real question is, why do you get so uppity about something this retarded?
Because what you wrote is complete and utter nonsense. Even remotely connecting Kimble with the demoscene is plain stupid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Read my words again: I said people from the demoscene KNEW ABOUT HIM, in the same way you or even I can know about him.
Quite funny to see how you're twisting your words instead of just admitting that you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Evidently you know more about him than me, but my original statement remains. I mentioned this because of what my friends have told me about.
And because your friends told you so makes it true? Not bad, not bad. I give you a small hint: I was around in the scene back then when Kimble did all his crap so I *might* know a bit more about him than you ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The fact that you know about this character and the hatred towards him just confirms what I originally said.
It doesn't. What you wrote remains wrong, no matter what.
StingRay is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 15:16   #18
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I wonder if , Dropbox, etc. will follow now in the USA's agenda to control the Internet.
Dunno about those, but heard here and there that , and fileserve for example are pissing their pants and deleting files that don't even have anything to do with piracy.

Here's an explanation why MU got hit: https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-...uction-120120/
Shoonay is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 16:42   #19
AmigaFriend
Registered User
AmigaFriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CLI
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Here's an explanation why MU got hit: https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-...uction-120120/
Curiously TorrentFreak is down. I hope is just glitch.
AmigaFriend is offline  
Old 21 January 2012, 16:47   #20
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,034
Looks okay to me, perhaps try this link: http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-w...uction-120120/
Shoonay is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.1 developer cd from Vesalia Gazzer Coders. General 4 01 September 2011 13:56
Amiga Developer CD petemaxi Coders. General 11 24 May 2011 23:32
developer name mai HOL data problems 12 17 May 2010 14:01
Developer CD 2.1 astralon Coders. General 6 06 February 2005 22:22

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.78256 seconds with 11 queries