English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 September 2002, 18:56   #1
Pyromania

Pegasos vs Amiga One

Now that the Pegasos motherboard is shipping and can run most Amiga apps I was wondering if anyone has decided if they are getting one or is everyone still waiting for the Amiga One?

http://www.thendic-france.com/Tech/U...os/pegasos.htm

Your comments please.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 September 2002, 19:59   #2
Akira

Pegasos, if only for ONE reason: Firewire
And the G4 possibility helps too!

This is IMO a machine much superior to the A1.
Old 07 September 2002, 20:26   #3
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
MicroATX boards I don't like but it does have plenty onboard for just about anyone's needs.
This reminds me of an old Asus slot 1 board I have for my Pentium II. The vertical slots however modular adds more expense to the CPU board. It does of course have a greater lifespan over the non-upgradeable AmigaOne if upgrade CPU boards are available for it. Even for those with Macs, a dual G4upgrade path is available, so it may materialize for the Pegasos.
Even though this is very similar to the AmigaOne in function, I think many will stay away from it primarily because of the MorphOS and favor OS4.
Old 07 September 2002, 20:50   #4
oldpx

Pegasos doesn't run AmigaOs but morphos is said to run amiga programs. Is it a type of emulation or do special morphos versions of these programs exist?

Old 07 September 2002, 21:12   #5
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Pegasos doesn't run AmigaOs but morphos is said to run amiga programs. Is it a type of emulation or do special morphos versions of these programs exist?
MorphOS versions are available even of UAE. It runs other Amiga apps via some type of Amiga API emulation, better than your standard emulation.

Last edited by Pyromania; 07 September 2002 at 22:28.
Old 07 September 2002, 21:24   #6
oldpx

Then I guess there's no AGA compatibility on pegasos.

Old 07 September 2002, 22:20   #7
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
One of the reasons I think users will favor AmigaOne. Amiga users will want to run what is familiar to them.
Old 08 September 2002, 01:44   #8
Akira

Quote:
Then I guess there's no AGA compatibility on pegasos.
This machine is much like teh A1, no legacy compatibility at all..

But hey, this is a PEGASOS not an "Amiga", so I'm VERY COOL with it. And it has Firewire
Old 08 September 2002, 02:18   #9
oldpx

Quote:
But hey, this is a PEGASOS not an "Amiga", so I'm VERY COOL with it.
Hmm, yeah right why not?

Old 08 September 2002, 02:38   #10
backtoskooldaze

Smile Hi

Hi has anyone noticed that Eyetech are now actually taking orders for the amigaone board

www.eyetech.co.uk

Wow at last everyone can stop moaning cos now it's on eyetechs website officially it is definetley going to be here at last

I bet someone still moans even when people are getting them through the post.
Old 08 September 2002, 02:42   #11
oldpx

I think eyetech has already been taking orders for some time.

Old 08 September 2002, 03:09   #12
Akira

Quote:
Hmm, yeah right why not?
Since it doesnt run old Amiga software,(what I think is "REAL" amiga software), it shouldn't be an "Amiga". And it isn't

It doesn't even have AmigaOS. This is just another computer.
Old 08 September 2002, 03:16   #13
oldpx

I actually meant "yeah that's right, that's a different machine why not be interested in it?"

Old 08 September 2002, 05:02   #14
backtoskooldaze

Hooooo now now :)

now now ladys hang on there is lots of different ideas whether people can run old amiga stuff amd morph os and whether this is a new amiga etc.........!

Wait till you get one or like me wait till the big boys get hold of it and see what they make of it and obviously when the price drops then everyone can afford one and see what the situation is then cos i have read lots on the amigaone and i even got an email back from eyetech telling me that it's cheaper to buy the amigaone oppose to upgrading a classic amiga like ppc accellerators and mediator boards etc....... cos at the end of the day if you choose to upgrade a classic amiga with mediators and ppc accellerators your mean't to be able to run OS4.0????????

But i am not sure what to do yet cos i love ELBOX and what they do. I also love my amiga but not to the extent of not being able to bring it up to date.The amiga classic add on card will come out cos there is so much on the internet about it and it seems a must for backward compatability even if elbox do it someone will (eventually) but thats something i can live without if i have to turn on myA1200 desktop for old games (there is enough emulators out there and pc's are getting more faster by the day so the amithlon will be good.

I think amiga sites have been giving to much away for free like adf games to download and lha files for this and that and people hacking the amiga for so long now that people won't spend money and expect the amiga to carry on but be cheap and free well when the day comes when eventually pc's are the thing of the past and there is sites galore with old dos game for download and drivers etc........then say microsoft or who ever owns the company or bill gates gets nuked by irakkees then people won't want to spend money on a new pc in the year 3000 and the amiga is not still surviving just on games m8 it has been networked and been used for internet and even used in tv programs for special effects so why would you not want to keep the amiga up todate instead of sitting like some sad fat OLD (born before the 80's) git with a transparent green glowing kempston joystick in your hand and getting more arthritus in your hands than you already have playing a game on an amiga.

If it was'nt for the pc's you probably would not be here today on this forum (unless like me i use the amiga on the net also)moaning about the amigaone you should be praising it shouting from the roof tops and dancing on your PC

Give amigaone a chance don't put it down before it starts so what amiga stuff is expensive you pay for quality if it was not quality stuff and well made then it would not last for ten years and still go round second hand buyers how long does pc stuff last i have bought stuff from car boots for pc and got home and it's dead.I have lots of amiga stuff thats working and going strong today no worries

The good stuff is made well

Anyway i'm off now so get saving your pennys and i will see you on here in the next year and if i was wrong about amigaone and it's success then i will give all my amiga stuff to you
Old 08 September 2002, 07:37   #15
Akira

Re: now now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by backtoskooldaze
The amiga classic add on card will come out cos there is so much on the internet about it and it seems a must for backward compatability
This card is vapourware already, as the A1 to A12k interface card.

I thought backwards compatibility was not an issue? IanS will like to read this.
Old 08 September 2002, 07:39   #16
Akira

I repet: I rather buy a Powermac Dual G4 (boy, what are those holes in the front for? The bitch looks like a hotrod dragster DDD)
Old 08 September 2002, 08:30   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Pegasos. What a piece of garbage.
Ugh.
Old 09 September 2002, 16:23   #18
IanS

Who mentioned my name? I was dozing off nicely in the chair when I heard it.

Well, now I'm awake...

Amiga on a card isn't ever likely to appear. Great shame, 'cos that would have been really good. I would have bought one any day of the week.

Hey, Akira... I agree with you about the Apple! :-) Oh my god, I must be ill !!!!!!

Without in any way demeaning the hard work and obvious skills of those involved in both the A1 and Pegasos projects... the computing world doesn't need any more 'standard' PowerPC platforms. Essentially, the only difference between these and the various Apple platforms is a Rom chip. If somebody persueded Apple to give access to the their roms, I imagine OS4 and Morphos would run on any Apple, as fast or faster than on an A1 etc. Other companies have produced PPC computers, and they failed to take off. BeBox, Pios 1 to name but two. Not to mention the 'official' Apple clones. We'll just end up with an Apple Mac by another name and in a different box!

Before anybody tells me about a thousand other 'technical' differences between the A1/Pegasos and an Apple Mac... please be merciful!. I'm just trying to say that there are TOO MANY SIMILARITIES to make them appealing. The Amiga was technichally superior at the time, and that is why it took off in such a spectacular way. A box that uses the same CPU, same sound and graphics H/W as an Apple is unlikely to compete against such an established platform. Even with a kick ass Amiga operating system... which we haven't actually seen yet (and it could be crap... you never know!), who is going to choose the A1 or Pegasos unless there is at least one super duper, must have, "sell my granny to pay for it!" application that ISN'T yet on the Mac or PC??????

Just my initial thoughts. And, as is often the case... I may be completely wrong.
Old 09 September 2002, 18:20   #19
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
who is going to choose the A1 or Pegasos unless there is at least one super duper, must have, "sell my granny to pay for it!" application that ISN'T yet on the Mac or PC??????
You know it may not actually have to be that the app isn't available on the PC or Mac platform, but that it simply needs to do the same for less. Recall that 3D packages at the time weren't all that much better than what was on the Amiga for a fraction of the price. Same thing goes for DTP. Until Quark took off then PageMaker, DTP on the Amiga was really good.
Old 09 September 2002, 18:35   #20
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
If somebody persueded Apple to give access to the their roms, I imagine OS4 and Morphos would run on any Apple,
I wonder what the real issue is with not being able to port AmigaOS to a Mac. I mean Yellow Dog Linux and Suse Linux are PPC native and run on just about every Mac there is that has PCI, even dual G4s. And now Mac on Linux says it'll run OS X.2 Jaguar as well.
AdSense AdSense