English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 September 2002, 14:32   #1
mtb

Workbench questions

With an Amiga 500 1.3:

a)
Is it possible to view gif ( i use dispgif & it works fine, but perhaps there are better programs ), jpeg ( i have read there was a program called Jview for wk 1.3, but i haven't found it ) and png & tiff files ( i really don't know )?

b)
If there is a PC program that allows to save a 4096 color image, with the same palette of Amiga OCS / ECS. 4096 = 2^12, so a 12 bpp image.

c)
How to copy, from shell, a entire directory with subdir.

d)
If there is a shell utility, for 1.3, with name completion ( like csh, ash or KingCon, but where i can find a 1.3 compatible version? )

e)
How to change the wildcards and the name of the parent and the root directory, so to change #? with *, parent ( / ) with .. and root ( : ) with /, so like a Linux shell.

f)
Last but not least, how to install msh to read 720k disks ( if it is possible with 1.3 )

Thanx in advance
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 September 2002, 10:11   #2
thomas

a) I think VT should do the trick, or Visage if it runs on 1.3. Just search Aminet.

b) You're joking ! OCS cannot display more than 6 bpp in lowres and 4 bpp in highres. Palette is always stored with 24 bits (8 bits per gun), although only the upper 4 bits are used for each gun.

c) Read the DOS manual. What you need is the ALL parameter.

d) don't know.

e) don't know. (AmigaDOS has the most powerfull wildcards mechanism on any platform, why should anyone want to change it ?)

f) read MSH's manual. You need to create an entry in your Devs:Mountlist. I think there is an example in the MSH archive,
Old 08 September 2002, 12:06   #3
TikTok

Nothing concrete I'm afraid, but...

b) Paint Shop Pro may be able to do this, but I can't remember if it is limited to non-HAM modes.

e) You might find Alias fairly useful, but again, I'm not 100% on whether you can alias wildcards or not.
Old 08 September 2002, 18:43   #4
Akira

I have a program called Starclick tha twill work on your old machine, and will remove the clicking of your diskdrie when it has no disk in it, and will change the #? wildcard for *

If you want it let me know. I don't know about unixish style path navigation, I think there is a port of bash and other unix shells on the Amiga!
Old 09 September 2002, 03:32   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Actually, there's a buttload of those drive click shell-ish programs that are loaded with features and almost all have the wildcard function available. Not at home, so I can't remember which I use, but Aminet is loaded with tools like these.
Old 09 September 2002, 08:42   #6
Miggy2TheMax

aminet urls:

http://us.aminet.net/util/shell/index.html
http://us.aminet.net/dev/gg/index.html

there are a couple shells you can try out there,one in particular:

http://us.aminet.net/util/shell/ZShell.readme
Old 14 September 2002, 13:20   #7
mtb

I have tried Zshell and it is very good, and faster than the standard 1.3 for display output ( i haven't tried yet vs 3.1 shell ). Also it allows * wildcard for internal commands ( ex. copy ), name completion, full screen shell and a lot of good features ( ordered ( without alias ) list & coulored dirs in the list, space usage at the end, copy -r ( like unix for recursive ) instead of copy all ). So i have solved one of my "problems".

I am still looking for the picture viewers ( Visage is 3.0 + ( on aminet ), vt stands for? Video Tracker? ).

Thanks to all.
Old 14 September 2002, 18:59   #8
Akira

No, Videotracker is not a picture viewing program. Teh name of the progam Thomas mentioned is just "VT"
Old 14 September 2002, 19:29   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

VT is short for Viewtek!!!!
Old 15 September 2002, 04:21   #10
RetroMan

IŽm sure I used CSH on my old A500 Kick 1.3 back in old days IŽll have a look if I still got a copy of it .....
Old 21 September 2002, 13:50   #11
mtb

Also vt from aminet is only 2.0 +.

And i have tried a try & buy version of Paint shop pro, it saves lbm format, but there isn't a tool to reduce colors # to 4096, and if i save with 16million color the picture is not displayed on the emulated 500.
Old 21 September 2002, 15:32   #12
RetroMan

Thx for bringing this back on top But IŽm afraid my only copy of CSH from my old A500 is corrupted, IŽll try to fix it but thereŽs not much hope
Old 21 September 2002, 20:39   #13
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by mtb
And i have tried a try & buy version of Paint shop pro, it saves lbm format, but there isn't a tool to reduce colors # to 4096, and if i save with 16million color the picture is not displayed on the emulated 500.
No PC program supports the special HAM modes of the Amiga.
Old 24 September 2002, 21:51   #14
mtb

Can someone explain me how is a lbm ham file coded inside or give me a link me to an explanation of this format ( i have tried to see inside but it is not clear enought )?

If it's not to difficult and if i have time enought i can TRY to write a c source to convert for examples a ppm files into a lbm ham file.
For now i have made a program that allows to convert a true color ppm file into a 4096 ( max ) color using a rgb palette with 12bpp, 4 for each channel.

It's in the zone, with examples of what it can do and the source code.

What i need to TRY to proceed is an explanation like the following ( of the Portable Pixel Map format, ppm )

P3 - P6 file type, the first for ascii, the 2nd for binary
# Comments the comments are preceded by a # character
x y numbers for the width and the height
Max intensity usually 255

then there is a matrix for the pixel values ( this one is for the ascii format )

r g b r g b r g b r g b where every rgb rapresents the values of a single pixel, described with 8 bit for each channel.

( example: 255 255 255 0 0 0 means that there is a white pixel ( 255 255 255 ) followed by a black pixel.

( i think lbm ham format isn't too different, except for a binary code instead of an ascii )

Thanx in advance.

Also about gif displayers:

I have tried VirtGif: compared to Dispgif is: much slower ( moreless 10 times...) , only ntsc and it produces more noise.
Old 24 September 2002, 22:21   #15
mtb

I have found a pc converted ( haven't tried it yet ) for dos that seems to be able to save ham ilbm at this address:

http://www.aco.ee/files/dosutils/graphics.html

I will try anyway to write mine.
Old 25 September 2002, 00:01   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I hate the way the PC world refers to ILBM files as LBM. They only adapted that truncated term so that the files could be saved with a 3-letter extension. So that means interleaved now becomes leaved? The PC is a disease...

Here's some IFF/ILBM info for anyone interested:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/developer...fmts/ilbm.html
Old 25 September 2002, 04:31   #17
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
The NetPBM package allows to save ham pictures and maybe also a windows version exists.
Old 28 September 2002, 13:53   #18
mtb

The one for DOS gives a run-time error, i'll read the docs ( thanks for the link ) and try netpbm.
Old 06 October 2002, 18:46   #19
mtb

NetPBM works fine.

Also i have found a program called fastjpeg that is able to show jpeg files also on a standard 1.3 machine at this address:

http://ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/mirrors/ft.../apps/display/

Unfortunatly sometimes there are strange errors in visualization, both in the aga and ecs version.

Here there is a ff disk collection, so there is also the CSH.
AdSense AdSense