English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 January 2012, 18:10   #61
fgh

+1 for Tower defence game. (Fieldrunners)

Or something like [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by fgh; 07 January 2012 at 18:19.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 January 2012, 18:36   #62
ancalimon
Supernormal

I still would like an advanced PP Hammer with many upgrades and a home.
Old 07 January 2012, 20:02   #63
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Top down scrolling racer like supercars based on the Race of Champions with netplay.

[ Show youtube player ]

dooeet :P
Old 07 January 2012, 21:27   #64
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Top down scrolling racer like supercars based on the Race of Champions with netplay.

[ Show youtube player ]

dooeet :P
damit that was what i have planned for my 2nd game :P

although not scrolling... pretty much like Super Off Road 4x4 but on tarmac and with different vehicles :P
Old 08 January 2012, 05:31   #65
KONEY
Vampire 2 Amiga Musician

Send a message via Skype™ to KONEY
that would be great, I used to play Talisman a lot in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
A computer version of the board game Talisman, started writing one myself years ago but got distracted and never continued.
Old 09 January 2012, 11:29   #66
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Made my mind up, I'm definitely going to have a crack at Downfall (I've already started doing some test graphics). In the end it was either that or a multiplayer Balloon Fight-style game - a tough call.

Thank you to everyone for your help and I may revisit this thread in future if I need any more ideas

I'll put up a new thread detailing the game's development at a suitable time... in addition I'll be posting screenshots, WIP versions and probably source code too for the curious.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:41   #67
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY View Post
that would be great, I used to play Talisman a lot in the past!
Curiously, I played a lot with the Speccy adaptation of Talisman and I never knew until years later that it was previously a board game!

Details here.

BTW, If i had noticed this thread before I'd suggested GH to make a text adventure, but that could not be his favourite stuff and I'm already writting one myself for Cammy's comp, anyway! I'm not sure if any one has suggested a point & click graphic adventure, that could also be nice!

--

Last edited by rockersuke; 09 January 2012 at 12:51.
Old 11 January 2012, 04:58   #68
VoltureX

Send a message via Skype™ to VoltureX
Ice Climber from the Nintendo is a good one and should be not too hard I guess. I can do the sound if you like
Old 14 January 2012, 13:24   #69
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

I don't know much about Blitz Basic, but I'm willing to share Mr Beanbag's scrolling routines with you if that's any use. They are in 68k asm.
Old 14 January 2012, 14:12   #70
Akira

I am not sure about your abilities, but a GOOD, fast-paced arcade basketball game was always needed in the Amiga
Old 14 January 2012, 16:02   #71
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I don't know much about Blitz Basic, but I'm willing to share Mr Beanbag's scrolling routines with you if that's any use. They are in 68k asm.
That'd be very kind of you. Blitz does support assembly language, although I should state I know absolutely nothing about it and just thinking about it would make my head explode. Even so, if you could perhaps talk me through the logisitics of how it works, if you'd be willing and have the time, even briefly, that would be a great help to me if/when I decide to do something that requires proper scrolling - I can just about do a constant from-left-to-right scroll but anything else is a struggle for me at the minute. I imagine the principles are the same regardless of your choice of language.

Talking of which... I have started work on Downfall and am currently in the process of getting the scrolling sorted out. This is the most important part of the game to code and I have made some progress but have a couple of issues still to iron out. Even so, I've already learnt some new things (for me) so even at this stage it's been a worthwhile exercise. As soon as I have something tangible to show you all, I'll start a new thread on it
Old 14 January 2012, 16:19   #72
jimbob

Good effort Graham, hope you are successful. I know you've decided and started work but I just thought I'd tag on a couple of ideas for games I'd like to see in case any anyone watching feels inspired by your efforts.

Someone said artillery style game, I agree. I'd like something like this but with a few added elements. Sort of a battlefield duel game with unknown enemy positions where you may get reconnaisance aircraft or special forces teams to go out and hunt for the enemy or help you aim, combined with a slightly more technical than say worms but still fun mechanism for firing your weapons. Could maybe be mission based, where you have to defend yourself or take cover while searching for particular targets to destroy in a time limit.

Inverted RPG, I would love this. Some sort of strategy game where you play a totally evil dark lord type. Commanding your hordes of minions to pillage and burn, sending out spys and assassins to waylay bands of heroes roaming the countryside before they turn up on your doorstep all tooled up with magic swords and the Amulet of NYRF
Old 14 January 2012, 17:21   #73
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

It would be a lot of work for me to explain the code to you, I wonder if there is some way I could provide a "black box" that you could use. Can you load up assembled machine code programs and just call them? Or define interfaces on to it?
Old 15 January 2012, 02:40   #74
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Now when you use phrases like "just call them" and "define interfaces" it all goes totally over my head

I literally know nothing on this subject (as you can probably tell), completely out of my depth
Old 15 January 2012, 08:08   #75
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
any work on a stock A1200 or an 030?
AmiJeweled AGA is still incomplete, they are in need of a good tracker artist to compose some soothing, ambient music for the game.

Rebel was working on a graphics set for Change It! Change It! works on any OS3 Amiga with enough RAM. I have even run it on my 4MB 68000 A600. It uses Intuition and the Datatypes system so the various skins available will remap themselves to your screen no matter what colour mode it's in, you just must have a screen resolution high enough for the game window to open in. 640x400 is large enough.

You can download Change It! here: http://changeit.ppa.pl/main_gb.html

Sorry for going off-topic. As for what kind of game I think you should make, since it's a OCS side-scrolling engine I would have to agree with CMcK and think you should try to make a version or clone of Canabalt.
Old 15 January 2012, 08:21   #76
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
It would be a lot of work for me to explain the code to you, I wonder if there is some way I could provide a "black box" that you could use. Can you load up assembled machine code programs and just call them? Or define interfaces on to it?
It's possible to write extensions for Blitz Basic in assembly, and they will appear to the user as a set of new Basic commands. There's some info and examples on Aminet, here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50111 and in the Blitz manuals if you can manage to find them on the net.

IIRC you can only get to a limited amount of Blitz's internals, and with this type of 8-way scrolling, as you know, you need full control of the graphics hardware. You may have to implement the whole graphics engine as a set of Blitz commands and tell Blitz to stay off the hardware. I'm not sure the latter is possible, but it's worth looking into.
Old 16 January 2012, 00:48   #77
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Barry Altman Darts (with a pic of him on dartboard)
Medhi Ali Zombie Massacre

that should keep you busy
Old 16 January 2012, 22:29   #78
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
IIRC you can only get to a limited amount of Blitz's internals, and with this type of 8-way scrolling, as you know, you need full control of the graphics hardware. You may have to implement the whole graphics engine as a set of Blitz commands and tell Blitz to stay off the hardware. I'm not sure the latter is possible, but it's worth looking into.
I can provide bob and sprite routines as well, that go with it. In fact it really has to use its own bob routines anyway. I have written the scrolling routines into an AMOS extension before, all it needs to work is a call to "Copper Off" to turn off AMOS's copper list generator. I presume you can turn off the copper list in Blitz, too. The scrolling routine will write an appropriate copper list for you if you provide it with some Chip RAM to store it in, then all you have to do is load it into the copper list hardware pointer every frame.

Currently it works with AMOS screens and AMOS icon banks, but if I can get some documentation of how Blitz stores these things I could easily modify it.
Old 17 January 2012, 05:40   #79
EreWeGo

I've always thought some of the Mega Drive sports games would've been great on the Amiga, like: Mutant League Football, Tecmo Superbowl, NHL 94 etc.

I also thought it was a shame Sensible Software didn't have a go at other sports games, okay, there WAS Sensible Golf, but I mean a real sport

I can picture an American Football, Baseball, Rugby, Basketball, or Ice Hockey game but with Sensi sprites/scale etc...

Last edited by EreWeGo; 17 January 2012 at 10:50.
Old 17 January 2012, 14:23   #80
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Just to add my little bit. Good luck with Downfall Graham! (I'm sure that name rings a bell for some reason? - is it like the twiddly knobs game?).

Anyway, if there are any other programmers stuck for ideas I'd like someone to program a Top Trumps game for the amiga. It's probably a game many coders could have a go at seeing as it's only a card game with an algorithm to match and compare stats. I don't mind which card sets anyone uses - supercars, warriors, aircraft, supermodels, bands, amiga game heros - it's up to the programmer. If it's anything like Klondike it may be possible to select from a range of card sets, and if the game were to use a single iff image (map) for the cards it may be possible to have fans input there own card designs and stats (with or without a construction kit feature). Perhaps there is already a game of this type on Aminet that I missed, dunno.

If that sounds a bit too easy, I'll ask so see if Lee Hurley Productions can make something of it.

Last edited by lifeschool; 17 January 2012 at 14:37.
AdSense AdSense