English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 December 2011, 21:48   #41
musojon74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Seems my amiga died tonight so this will be on hold for an indefinite amount of time.
Im absolutely gutted. I hope I can get it working again.
Nightmare! Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by prowler; 14 December 2011 at 23:12. Reason: Added quote.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 December 2011, 03:03   #42
marcfrick2112

So sorry to hear... Hope you can get it fixed...
Old 15 December 2011, 07:14   #43
fishyfish
Banned

With absolute conviction I can only say "phew, what a relief"

Just as randomly as it apeared to have died it came back to life.
As I was just telling a friend I have no idea what caused it. I was using it one minute, then the next it crashed. Ctrl/amiga/amiga didnt work so I powered it off an it refused to start up again but it gave me nothing, and no clues as to what was going on. Simply left me with a black screen, no power lights even. It appeared to have just given up the ghost. Only way I knew it was even getting power is the small fan (40mhz '040, so I need a fan) would start up when I powered it up.
I completely dismantled it and gave it a good clean multiple times, but still nothing. Left it alone for a few hours after that, then tried again, still no good. Pulled it apart again, scanned the mobo, etc for any traces of damage, cleaned it again, reseated everything, still no good.

By this point I was pretty convinced it was dead so just left it. A few hours later I have it one last try. It still didnt work, but power light flicked when I tried to start it up. This gave me enough hope to try again, and thankfully 15 or so minutes of stuffing around later and it suddenly sprang back to life with no signs it had been dead for 7 hours..

Im more than a little relieved
Old 15 December 2011, 11:16   #44
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Check the power connector for loose tin and resolder it eventually.
Old 15 December 2011, 11:19   #45
musojon74

And backup to a winuae instance :-)
Old 16 December 2011, 20:25   #46
marcfrick2112

Or get a CD-R in yer Amiga.. slow on the standard IDE, sure... but the easiest / cheapest route, IMHO...
Old 18 December 2011, 14:00   #47
musojon74

Yo. The message seems to be on your profile as a visitor message rather than a pm. Can you see it there?
Old 22 December 2011, 17:38   #48
fishyfish
Banned

Ah, I just checked now. Yep, its still there. Thanks, I'll try it out sometime tomorrow (2.30am here at the moment).

This whole thing has taken a bit longer than Id wanted. I mostly just wanted to make something that can be done quickly, but life keeps getting in the way (Christmas and whatnot).

Ive got a week of free time as of Monday. Hopefully I'll get to finish it then (current build is alreay somewhat improved versus what Ive sent to people).

Im eager to finish it though, both as it was a new years resolution at the start of the year to finally get off my butt and finish at least something original (Ive done lots of ports this year, but they dont count), and because Im eager to move onto on of the other projects Ive started (either rts, or zelda style adventure, probably the rts 1st).
Old 22 December 2011, 20:45   #49
musojon74

Ahh cool. I'd better do some ( more ) sfx work. Actually did you finish the version which was easier to stick sfx in for testing? Would be great to try out different combinations before choosing the best...
Old 05 March 2012, 12:03   #50
fishyfish
Banned

After reading Graham Humphrey's Downfall thread I started itching to do something again myself. I never really aboned this project as such, I just had a short break, which unfortunately was followed by a few real life issues that have left my life a little stangnant while theyre being resolved. Because of that Ive just not really been in the best position to be able to focus on "serious" type projects.

Anyway, that said and done, are people still interested in continuing it with me?
My current build has quite a few changes vs. what I'd sent to people already. Some bonuses have been added (multipliers for example that give you 2x, 3x, 4x score (+extra time) if you score off the same color 2,3,4 times in a row). It's also tailored towards the developers, with options for easily testing out gfx and sounds and being able to specify color depth (up to ehb) and so on. There's also an additional game mode that borrow from those memory games (tiles are all grey apart from during selection process and return grey when you make a wrong color selection).

Point to all this being, it seems a shame to leave it as it is. Probably 60% of a finished product disregarding graphics and sounds. I like the stuff Ive gotten so far, there's just been a few changes to the stencil and there's additional stuff I need.

Anyway, I guess this whole post is somewhere between an update and an enquiry if those people who were helping, or wanting to help me are still interested?

Thanks everyone
Old 05 March 2012, 12:13   #51
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Hm, could you send me your current build then? I am just curious.
Old 14 October 2012, 13:01   #52
musojon74

Hey. Sorry to res this. If you decide you do wish to continue then please send me the current build. I fancy authoring some SFX and music again for it.
Old 14 October 2012, 19:57   #53
fishyfish
Banned

Hi.

Timing is pretty good from my perspective here actually
I just tonight started a new game project that Im pretty eager to get stuck right into.

Sorry to yourself and predseda for abandoning the last game after your work. As it progressed the potential I thought Id seen it appeared to probably not really be there. I've still got copies of my sourcecode so maybe one day I'll finish it just for the sake of it, but Im not as enthusiastic about it as I was at 1st.

Anyway, if you're interested the current game is an overhead tile based rpg. It's very early though, and Im not even sure of the timeframe/era I want it to be set it, but perhaps fight scene music might be something that could be worked on without knowing a lot of those sorts of details? Something with lots of cheesey dramatic sounding parts

Anyway, I'd be glad to have the help if you're interested.
Old 14 October 2012, 20:33   #54
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I will probably be busy with the new upcoming Remainder project, but who knows
Old 14 October 2012, 21:44   #55
fishyfish
Banned

Nah, its cool. Im looking forward to doing some graphics myself for now anyway. This sort of game has the potential to be expanded indefinately though, so if anyone does want to do some graphics I'll probably have changed my tune after the initial few dozen tiles I just want to set the tone for the overall style/look/palette/whatever/etc first.
AdSense AdSense