English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 November 2011, 14:16   #1
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Dizzy POTY iPhone/Android

http://www.slashgear.com/dizzy-to-hi...er-9-23197573/

Not sure about this-- The video shows a lot of jumping and the dynamic of it looks fucking awful. Has a bit of a budget feel to it too.

Why can't the original creators of the game get their own game right? I know I'm judging pretty early here, but a game like Dizzy needs to be dead on, no?

(Try to ignore all the misinformation in the article, was just posting for the video really).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 November 2011, 14:35   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Something is wrong with Dizzy's legs when he walk.
Old 24 November 2011, 14:37   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Why can't the original creators of the game get their own game right?
Because the creators of the game didn't make this port.
Old 24 November 2011, 15:08   #4
CritAnime

I will probably buy it just because of it been dizzy. But I feel it might end up been like pinball fantasies on iPhone. Has the look but misses the feel.
Old 24 November 2011, 15:42   #5
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Because the creators of the game didn't make this port.
I thought it was developed by Blitz studios (the Oliver twins), but it seems not.

Although according to the website the developer is the same chap who worked on the original Yolkfolk game, so it really isn't excusable that it's so unfaithful.

Last edited by P-J; 24 November 2011 at 15:56.
Old 24 November 2011, 15:58   #6
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

http://dizzygame.com/

Look at the 'old screens > new screens' bit. The old screens blatantly look loads better :-)
Old 24 November 2011, 16:05   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

Why is there a need for diagonal buttons? Should be left, right, jump and collect/drop? Or not?
Old 24 November 2011, 16:36   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I thought it was developed by Blitz studios (the Oliver twins), but it seems not.

Although according to the website the developer is the same chap who worked on the original Yolkfolk game, so it really isn't excusable that it's so unfaithful.
Oh... I've read a few days ago it was just "some guy" who made it, and he showed it to Codemasters to get an official blessing from them. In that case there's nothing to justify that...
Old 24 November 2011, 21:42   #9
CritAnime

It has been noted before that retro is big business atm. Without been too defeatist, after all these days it looks like lots are trying to cash in on the retro bug, it would appear from various sources that this is indeed going to be a case of all the look but none of the feel. I have tried lots of the recent retro hd remakes and found them to be lacking that spark.

But once again I do say that I will end up buying it still. I am a sucker for Dizzy.
Old 24 November 2011, 22:22   #10
Sektor 83

My main memories of Dizzy Prince Of The Yolkfolk are: one, the tune was infuriatingly catchy (was this another one of 4mats?), and two, I remember many frustrating times trying to collect cherries that were on top of clouds and just completely falling through them... oh, and that section where you have to cross the river in that boat with the motor on it! Argh... might need to play this again!
Old 24 November 2011, 23:51   #11
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

It says in the article his first game adventure was in 1991. Not so. The original Dizzy was released in 1987 on the Spectrum and 1988 on the C64. Yolkfolk was 1991/92. I have completed them all on C64 so will no doubt be purchasing this for Android even though it doesn't look too promising. The main sprite itself looks too kiddy for my liking.
Old 25 November 2011, 15:03   #12
S0ulA55a551n

I wonder if you will be able to switch back and for between new and old screen like in MI ann MI2 Special editions
Old 25 November 2011, 15:26   #13
antonvaltaz

Don't know - the original was flip-screen, whereas this one is scrolling.
Old 25 November 2011, 15:28   #14
S0ulA55a551n

I know all about thwe originals. I played them all on the Amstrad CPC.

I lvoed the dizzy games, depsite them being very frustrating and hard
Old 25 November 2011, 19:52   #15
CritAnime

Frustrating and hard were the two main ingredients in any Dizzy game. However they don't want to throw in dodgy touch controls though. For me they are the thing that could potentially break the game.
Old 26 November 2011, 01:14   #16
AmigaFriend

I confess I was never very fond of Dizzy games. But i have to agree that the original screens are much better than the new ones. It even seems that the characters don't glue with the backdrop! Silly...
Old 28 November 2011, 23:45   #17
Vectra
Old Skool

My biggest problem with this is that it is Smartphone only, I have an Android handset but it is a lower specced model that really isn't great at running games.

I was hoping for a modestly priced Xbox Live Arcade, PSN or Steam release.
Old 09 December 2011, 15:43   #18
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Thumbs down

Downloaded this today and its shit. Played for 10 seconds before it force closed itself. Plus it takes up all the phones internal memory with its 75meg download and isn't even installable to the SD card!! Crazy!!? The controls weren't great either. Uninstalled after 5 minutes for a refund. Very disappointed with this.
Old 09 December 2011, 16:11   #19
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
I have tried lots of the recent retro hd remakes and found them to be lacking that spark.
Yeah, agreed. An Amiga remake I'm working on at the minute maintains the visual style and feel (down to the resolution), but have used the modern hardware to implement new features that wouldn't be possible on the Amiga due to memory limitations, disk limitations, grunt limitations or connectivity limitations.

That's where I feel the best remakes are at. Look at the Head over Heels remake for example. It's got all the original feel, the style, the pixelly look and just uses the modern hardware for a little bit of garnish that makes it like a whole new experience.

Also, there's a huge nostalgia factor when playing old games, and the remakes need to pander to this. This Dizzy game just looks like an early 21st century flash game, and whilst plenty of those are great, they don't invoke nostalgia. That is to be found in the visual style, the audio & the controls.

By forgetting what made the original great, you're just making a crappy game.

Just so there's no confusions-- I love modern games just as much as I like old games, so there's no old vs new bias here.
Old 09 December 2011, 16:17   #20
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

A good example of this, would be, say, a soccer game.

Remaking it using the original graphics (or original graphic style), but then adding new features. For example having much more variation in the pitch textures to add muddy patches, dry patches, divets and such like. Putting the referee & linesmen in if it didn't have them original. Why not add the offside rule? Why not add team customisation, or online multiplayer.

That's where the REAL fun is for me in a remake. I know it's probably not particularly creative, but for a programmer/artist/musician it's incredibly freeing if you used to love the game and people would likely enjoy it.

Sadly the first port of call is to modernise it by using 2.5d, for example.
AdSense AdSense