English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 November 2011, 00:13   #1
pinchez

Getting back in to Amiga - A600 or A1200?

I would like to put together a nice little WHDLoad gaming and tinkering machine. I have a A600 that is white and very clean but when i power it up there's just a blank screen and caps lock light stays on. I also Have a A1200 that's gone yellow (more so the keyboard) but works perfectly.

After a couple of days researching I still don't know what to do so I'll list my options as I see them and see what you think.

A600 - I would buy a new motherboard, ACA 630/25 Stealth Accelerator, 1mb chip ram upgrade and a 4GB CF IDE HARD DISK.
Pros - Small and neat looking, easy to store away.
Cons - Not as functional or as powerful as a A1200 and might miss AGA games and Demos.

A1200 - I would buy ACA-1231/42 (comes out end of this month) and a 4GB CF IDE HARD DISK.
Pros - 2mb chip ram, AGA graphics, best all round Amiga
Cons - Looks a bit big, not as nice looking as A600 and not as portable.

I'm not sure I want to get in to Flickerfixers etc. I have a nice portable RGB Scart TV with a great picture that i'm happy with.

I can't make my mind up which way to go, would appreciate some advice and thoughts on this.

Thanks
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 November 2011, 01:31   #2
NovaCoder

Personally I'd go the 1200, give it a retro-bright session and it will come up nice and clean. You can always grab a replacement Keyboard from AmigaKit BTW.

The portability of a 600 vs 1200 is negligible.

A SCART TV will be just fine for a WHLOAD machine.

Like you say yourself, it's the best Amiga
Old 15 November 2011, 02:17   #3
Cammy

Keep them both and set them up differently I say! The A600 does exactly what my A600s do. This doesn't mean it's dead though, I think it's a bad capacitor issue. In fact if you leave it on for a while, sometimes half an hour or more, it might resume booting after having sat there for so long with a blank screen and Caps Lock light on. So just give it a try, switch her on and leave her for a while and see if anything changes. If it does or it doesn't, you should still get the motherboard repaired. If you can solder you can replace the caps yourself, or you can send the motherboard to AmigaKit for a full caps replacement and testing.

I think the perfect combination would be an A1200 with a 030 accelerator and an A600 with some extra RAM, serial linked together with a null-modem cable for fun head-to-head game action. An A600 with a 1MB ChipRAM upgrade (for a total of 2MB) and 2 or 4MB FastRAM, either on an internal RAM card attached to the CPU or with SRAM in the PCMCIA slot will make your A600 into a very good WHDLoad machine, and perfect for that second member of the family or a friend to use while you're on the A1200.

I think you should put a 3.1 ROM and a 4GB CF card in the A600 as well, it's what I use on my A600s and I love them.
Old 15 November 2011, 06:30   #4
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
If you got the dough, get both (+AmigaOne X1000 ). But if you must choose get the A1200, you won't regret it
Old 15 November 2011, 11:49   #5
pinchez

Thanks for the help guys, think I'm going to go with the A1200 and store the A600 for a while, although I'm thinking of maybe at least trying to get the A600 working first as I'm quite handy with a soldering iron

Just hope those ACA-1231/42 do get released soon and hopefully Amigakit will stock them
Old 15 November 2011, 12:37   #6
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchez View Post
Thanks for the help guys, think I'm going to go with the A1200 and store the A600 for a while, although I'm thinking of maybe at least trying to get the A600 working first as I'm quite handy with a soldering iron

Just hope those ACA-1231/42 do get released soon and hopefully Amigakit will stock them
The A600 is a great little machine, but there is very little the A1200 won't run, especially with WHDload available. And a lot of cool AGA stuff you would miss out on if you went A600 only.

I also stuck with my scart telly for over a decade, it's only when LCD TV's came out that I swapped.
Old 15 November 2011, 13:38   #7
pinchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
I also stuck with my scart telly for over a decade, it's only when LCD TV's came out that I swapped.
Don't get me wrong I would love a flicker fixer but I'm really struggling to justify the cost of Amiga stuff! If my wife finds out how much I'm planning to spend on an accelerator erc. she'll have me committed!!! She already thinks I'm wasting my time on the Amiga when the games don't even look as good as a Nintendo DS (her words)
Old 15 November 2011, 13:48   #8
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I rarely reveal my miggy investments to my gf, but I think she's not telling me everything either considering the ever-growing pile of handbags in our closet...

Don't ask, don't tell!
Old 15 November 2011, 14:47   #9
khph_re

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I would love a flicker fixer but I'm really struggling to justify the cost of Amiga stuff!
I don't have a flicker fixer, An LCD TV won't flicker (at least I've never seen one with interlace flicker), and mine accepts both scart and VGA, so it's all good!
Old 15 November 2011, 15:53   #10
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I would love a flicker fixer
If you're only going to use the machine that you keep for WHDLoad games, then this is not worth the money, because it will not see much use. The same could be said for an accelerator (fast ram should be enough, in theory).
Quote:
but I'm really struggling to justify the cost of Amiga stuff!
Ask yourself these questions:

1) Can I afford (preferably easily) what I want?
2) Am I really going to use what I buy?
Old 15 November 2011, 16:17   #11
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
I rarely reveal my miggy investments to my gf, but I think she's not telling me everything either considering the ever-growing pile of handbags in our closet...

Don't ask, don't tell!
Yeh me and my gf have an understanding i dont try and understand the need for so many handbags and she just thinks am mental .

As mentioned above I would go with the a1200 its only a bit bigger but it is so much of a lovelier machine.
Old 15 November 2011, 16:25   #12
Gordon
Settler

The 600 is the much sexier machine of course. Problem is if you get it, you wil come across some AGA games you want to play then you will wish you got a 1200. So go for 1200. Compatability over beauty
Old 15 November 2011, 17:29   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A1200 + 8Mbyte RAM card (prices of which have fallen since the release of new A1200 accelerators) + IDE CF card + PCMCIA CF card.

If all you want to do is play games and AGA demo's then this is uber good value for money, under 50 all in.
Old 15 November 2011, 17:46   #14
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'll have one off you for under 50.00 alexh.
Old 15 November 2011, 18:17   #15
pinchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
A1200 + 8Mbyte RAM card (prices of which have fallen since the release of new A1200 accelerators) + IDE CF card + PCMCIA CF card.

If all you want to do is play games and AGA demo's then this is uber good value for money, under 50 all in.
Hey I'm interested! I take it this is just a 8MB ram expansion? Were are these from?

Btw like you guys I keep the real cost of my hobby from my wife, she thinks my i7 2600k and GTX 580 was a bargain 200 lol, was just a little concerened if she found out I was going to spend over 200 on what she thinks is basicly junk! Think I need to show her superfrog.

Decided I'm detonately going with the A1200, I don't want to miss out on AGA.
Old 15 November 2011, 18:34   #16
deicidal
Registered Insane

This is probably why i dont live with my gf, then again the dogs started pouting now when i bring home new treasures
Old 15 November 2011, 22:09   #17
pinchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
I don't have a flicker fixer, An LCD TV won't flicker (at least I've never seen one with interlace flicker), and mine accepts both scart and VGA, so it's all good!
I popped in to ASDA on way back from work and they are selling a Luxor 16" LED TV with Scart, VGA, HDMI and AV inputs. It's a nice looking thing and i'm thinking would this be a good replacement for my old Scart portable TV.

Anyone have any experience of this TV on an Amiga?
Old 15 November 2011, 22:19   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Not that particular set, I'm afraid. However, I have a Toshiba widescreen LCD TV which has the same array of inputs and it's perfect for use both with my Amigas and PCs. So I would say, "Go for it!".
Old 15 November 2011, 22:44   #19
pinchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Not that particular set, I'm afraid. However, I have a Toshiba widescreen LCD TV which has the same array of inputs and it's perfect for use both with my Amigas and PCs. So I would say, "Go for it!".
Yeah think I might actually, It as great specs for the money and can even play movies through the USB port.

Only thing I'm concerned about is it's only 16" and widescreen, Most of my retro console collection (which i will also use this TV for) and Amiga are not Widescreen so I'm going to end up with a boarders making an already small screen smaller!

Changing subject slightly, Should I wait for the new ACA-1231/42 or try and grab the first decent Accelerator I can?

I'm itching to get my miggy up and running
Old 15 November 2011, 22:59   #20
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah think I might actually, It as great specs for the money and can even play movies through the USB port.

Only thing I'm concerned about is it's only 16" and widescreen, Most of my retro console collection (which i will also use this TV for) and Amiga are not Widescreen so I'm going to end up with a boarders making an already small screen smaller!
Most widescreen sets have a menu option to stretch the picture horizontally to fill the screen. I use it all the time.

Quote:
Changing subject slightly, Should I wait for the new ACA-1231/42 or try and grab the first decent Accelerator I can?

I'm itching to get my miggy up and running
If it really is a decent accelerator, and at a reasonable price, then there's no reason to hesitate.

The ACA accelerators are designed to perform well and have proved to be fast, but there have been reports of timing issues with some model(s) I believe, so I would wait until after the new card is released before making a decision.
AdSense AdSense