Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
No, 28!
Old 05 March 2012, 05:08   #43
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Old 20 March 2012, 16:19   #44
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

30! Maybe even 31 if I manage to get the sound working on my spare CD32, and if the expansion card will be worth its price
Old 22 March 2012, 10:40   #45
janikosk

Old 24 March 2012, 16:16   #46
spannernick
Retro Nuts

How about upgrading the cd rom drive..??
Old 26 August 2012, 14:17   #47
Cammy

If the expansion has IDE on it you could hook up an external DVD burner but there's no way to change the internal one for another drive. And unfortunately even a laptop CD/DVD drive would not fit inside the expansion bay of the CD32, it's not wide enough to fit one unfortunately. You could maybe saw a hole on the side and install one that way though, if you have an IDE expansion in there.
Old 26 August 2012, 14:50   #48
Phantom
Adventurer

I don't need superb expansions for my Amiga CD32. Actually it's ok of what it is. Probably a 030 for some 3D vector games will help (Guardian, Subwar etc)? The only serious problem about some CD32 games is that they can't save, because the free space Commodore used for saving games and hiscores is really tiny.

Take for example Theme Park version. On CD32 is useless, because it saves only your money and nothing else. So everytime you start it to play again, you have to construct everything from the beginning.

Too bad that it can't be changed.
Old 26 August 2012, 19:04   #49
Cammy

Although a 030 would be fantastic, it would add extra work and cost to a project like this, and honestly even FastRAM doubles the speed of those vector games. Gunship 2000 is really smooth on my CD32 with a SX32 and 8MB RAM for example, and DOOM runs as smoothly as it does on my A1200 with 030/28Mhz because of the Akiko combination.

I wouldn't say no to a 030, but I'd still gladly buy a new 8MB RAM expansion for the CD32, especially if it also has IDE and Clockports.

If it has 44pin IDE for example you can just stick a cheap IDE-CF adapter on a ribbon with a 8GB CF card on it. Then you can use some software to transfer your CD32 save games from the NVRAM to a drawer on the CF card, backing them up so you can clear the NVRAM for more save games. Then it's just a matter of swapping the save game files back and forth when you need them, from Workbench. It's not a perfect solution but it'll do.

Actually even without IDE, you can still link your CD32 to an Amiga or a PC via a Serial null-modem cable to transfer save games back and forth.

As for Theme Park you can now run the full AGA version from the CF card. You may even be able to run the Mac version in glorious high resolution! I'd like to test this and get back to you, it may run in 8MB but of course won't move around very smoothly compared to the native version.
Old 27 August 2012, 06:12   #50
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
The Redback CD32 Expansion

Here is my idea for a new CD32 expansion which is small enough to fit inside the CD32 and have the expansion bay cover placed back on and screwed in (maybe not pushed all the way on, but enough to cover the hole).

I have named it the Redback, after one of Australia's deadliest spiders, known for hiding up behind things out of sight and biting you in the backside, which I thought was fitting for a small expansion which hides up the back of a CD32 and packs quite a bite itself.

The Subway USB plugs directly into the female Clockport and floats inside the bay area the same way it does from an A604, an IDE-CF adapter with a CF card would be attached via a ribbon, as would any Clockport expansions connected to the regular Clockport. For Clockport expansions that are designed to press directly onto the A1200 motherboard (they don't use a ribbon) a small adapter with two male headers plugged into a ribbon should do, or use a 4-port Clockport expander on a ribbon.

There is plenty of room for all these expansions to hang and float around inside the CD32's expansion bay area since the Redback itself won't fill any of that space.

This way your CD32 gets 8MB FastRAM, IDE storage (which can be broken out to a Master and Slave device if you want to feed a ribbon out, perhaps to a faster CD/DVD drive), and expansion possibilities for USB, 16bit Audio + MP3, High-Speed Serial and Parallel, Battery-backed Clock, and possibly more expansions in future, like a Funnelweb Wireless Clockport Card.

There should be a header that a switch can be connected to, so the expansion can be completely disabled for when you want to play The Chaos Engine or some other game which refuses to work with expansions. The switch could be attached inside the plastic expansion bay cover, hidden away at the back.

I don't know anything about the circuitry involved but I wanted to share this idea with anyone who could potentially design the PCB and build them. I noticed Kipper show some interest once, and Jens has the tooling to produce the CD32 expansion connector and may be willing to help if we go through official channels.

I think this expansion would be very appealing to any CD32 owner, even those who already have a SX-1 or SX32, since it offers further expansion options with the Clockports, and since the design is so simple compared to older ideas it should be cheaper to produce and purchase.

So which looks better, the red PCB and black connector, or black PCB and red connector? Personally I prefer a red connector on a black PCB since it resembles the animal its named after more, and it just looks a bit different.

Last edited by Rebel-CD32; 27 August 2012 at 09:58.
Old 27 August 2012, 11:00   #51
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Personally I prefer a red connector on a black PCB since it resembles the animal its named after more, and it just looks a bit different.
This
Old 27 August 2012, 20:42   #52
twiggy

Just the idea seems amazing.
Old 28 August 2012, 23:51   #53
Deaths_Head

That sounds awesome I'd be up for an expansion for CD32. there must be enough CD32 owners to make this worthwhile surely when amigaworld, amiga.org and others are taken into account.
Old 29 August 2012, 12:05   #54
Akira

Very nice and I hope someone decides to do this. We might not be 300 but we all want an expansion for this lovely machine. I am happy with 8MB of RAM and IDE only if this needs to go barebones, i could be a cheap and very useful addition to any CD32.

Do you think it'd be possible to boot games off an ISO residing in an internal IDE device?
Old 30 August 2012, 03:14   #55
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Possibly by mounting the ISO with the DiskImage device or something you could boot them from an ISO. The CD music wouldn't work though, and since CD32 games all use a standard filesystem on the disc, no custom loading routines like floppies, they could just as easily be copied to the IDE device as files, but I'm pretty sure some of them might still need WHDLoad to run that way. The original game CD would always need to be in the drive if you want to hear the music anyway, so it's probably best to play CD games from their CDs.
Old 02 October 2012, 21:21   #56
Deaths_Head

Any movement on any kind of CD32 expansion? just seen this on ebay not sure if its for the CD32 though description's not clear;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Full-S...item19cba1390c
Old 02 October 2012, 21:58   #57
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
Any movement on any kind of CD32 expansion? just seen this on ebay not sure if its for the CD32 though description's not clear;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Full-S...item19cba1390c
To get that into a cd32 you need a sx-1, sx32 or similar.

I want a cd32 accelerator/expansion. even if all it does is add memory and ide adapter i'm all in for it.
Old 03 October 2012, 00:21   #58
Akira

Yeah, I think we all agree, all the CD32 needs, is extra RAM and an HD, to become a perfect WHDLoad machine. Accelerator is not necessary.
Old 03 October 2012, 13:31   #59
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah, I think we all agree, all the CD32 needs, is extra RAM and an HD, to become a perfect WHDLoad machine. Accelerator is not necessary.
Indeed, i always remember me and my brother reading reviews on the sx32 and dreaming about owning one.
Be nice to have a reason to unbox my mint cd32 again.
Old 03 October 2012, 13:39   #60
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Could be like the ACA500, just add an aca123x accelerator if you want 030.
AdSense AdSense