English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 October 2011, 19:39   #1
Castelian

Apple IIGS Sound Capabilities

The video briefly describes Soundsmith, a music program that leverages the IIGS's amazing ensonic sound chip and then I play some of my favorite songs.

Enjoy

[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 October 2011, 20:53   #2
Madcrow

Ah the poor IIgs. A brilliant design hobbled by internal politics which left it with a deliberately-underpowered CPU (the bottom-of-the-line 2.8 MHz 65816 rather than the more useful 4 MHz or quite snappy 8 MHz version) and zero marketing budget.

Nice music demonstration though. This really shows off the fact that the GS essentially shipped with a built-in Esoniq Mirage!
Old 10 October 2011, 02:05   #3
Castelian

It really was sad, crippling the system with such a ridiculously slow CPU. Apple pretty much didn't acknowledge the system's existence after 1987. It's one saving grace was definitely its unprecedented sound capabilities.
Old 10 October 2011, 16:08   #4
Madcrow

Indeed. It was to sound what the Amiga was for graphics.
Old 10 October 2011, 18:03   #5
Castelian

Quote:
Indeed. It was to sound what the Amiga was for graphics.
Well said.
Old 10 October 2011, 21:09   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

Very interesting video, I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the machine... been watching your videos of the system with great interest for some time now.

Anyway, very impressive sound indeed!
Old 10 October 2011, 21:22   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

The sound capabilities of the IIGS were actually quite good, though I never could figure out why the machine had only mono sound output right out of the box. You could add stereo output with a third party card, but stereo should have been there by default. I added stereo cards to both of mine within the past year, and the sound really great.
Old 10 October 2011, 22:53   #8
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
The sound capabilities of the IIGS were actually quite good, though I never could figure out why the machine had only mono sound output right out of the box. You could add stereo output with a third party card, but stereo should have been there by default. I added stereo cards to both of mine within the past year, and the sound really great.
Apple = pay to have those features. Always crippled products to make you buy 'the next best thing' next year round.

Iphone case scenario:
Iphone1 - GPRS/EDGE when all other phones at that price range had 3G for years. No MMS. Other phones had that since 2003. No video recording - since 2003 and so on and on...
Old 11 October 2011, 00:14   #9
switchblade

I would've loved the IIGS if it wasn't for the fact that company politics literally ruined the machine's chance at success.

It doesn't help matters much when the IIGS was paired with a CPU that was even slower than the Super Nintendo's, and the fact that the IIGS GPU lacked any hardware sprites. I mean, even the Commodore 64 had the ability to do hardware sprites and that was back in 1982! What excuse did the IIGS have for not having hardware sprites in the first place?

At least the system had brilliant sound. Can't really argue with that.
Old 11 October 2011, 00:17   #10
laffer
Zone Friend

It's really too bad the IIGS port of Last Ninja didn't take advantage of the great sound at all... I recorded a longplay of that game quite some time ago, and I remember it not having music at all
Old 11 October 2011, 00:26   #11
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
I would've loved the IIGS if it wasn't for the fact that company politics literally ruined the machine's chance at success.

It doesn't help matters much when the IIGS was paired with a CPU that was even slower than the Super Nintendo's, and the fact that the IIGS GPU lacked any hardware sprites. I mean, even the Commodore 64 had the ability to do hardware sprites and that was back in 1982! What excuse did the IIGS have for not having hardware sprites in the first place?

At least the system had brilliant sound. Can't really argue with that.
Of the various 16/32-bit systems, only the Amiga had hardware sprites!Most other companies figured that the CPU could handle pushing pixels into planar framebuffer without too much help.
Old 12 October 2011, 17:08   #12
Jgames

I think the x68000 had hardware sprites too, and maybe also the Fm towns.
AdSense AdSense