English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 August 2012, 04:16   #621
gibs
Banned

This one bypass the junk : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tin...uncher2b27.exe

(not tested)

I wanted to say '25', my mistake
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 August 2012, 04:27   #622
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nope, doesn't work properly. The description is cut, but it cut all following tooltypes too.
Old 20 August 2012, 04:33   #623
gibs
Banned

which game? I have just tested it and it seems to work properly.
Old 20 August 2012, 04:41   #624
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Katakis2Disk

Some games give me an "Illegal call" error, e.g. Knights of the Crystallion. I've shortend the folder, Icon and Slave name and then it works fine.
Old 20 August 2012, 04:52   #625
gibs
Banned

Katakis2Disk works fine for me. (comes from KG)
What do you have in your tooltypes ? and what it detects ?
Old 20 August 2012, 05:00   #626
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I use the preinstalled KG packs too. Have you really activated the Custom1=1 - Custom3=1 tooltypes? They are set in brackets. You have to remove them first. Should be looks like this.

Quote:
CUSTOM1=1
; Activate infinite Lives
Custom2=1
; Activate invicibility
Custom3=X
; (1-7) Select start level
Then TL only loads Custom1=1.
Old 20 August 2012, 05:17   #627
gibs
Banned

we must leave slave= & preload ?
ok I'll see tomorrow.
seems there's a problem in the database no ?
I can't browse farther than S....
Old 20 August 2012, 05:22   #628
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I've shortened all folder names. Still no luck with the A-Z folder scan.

Well, at least TT scan works for now. I can live without the descriptions.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 August 2012 at 05:34.
Old 20 August 2012, 12:03   #629
gibs
Banned

Do I have to keep

Slave=
Preload

Or I delete them ?
Old 20 August 2012, 13:17   #630
gibs
Banned

Ok, TT are definitely fixed
Thank you for the test and report.
I will post the new beta tonight.

Don't edit your file, I'm going to fix everything.
Old 20 August 2012, 16:24   #631
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

I have been checking this thread sometimes several times daily, to see if there was a new version.
Great to see that you have decided to implement tooltypes and subdir scanning. Those were both on my top list of wishes for Tiny Launcher.

I will test the newest build when I get home from work and report back, if any of my issues still occur.

My biggest problem right now is deciding if I am going to use the current build or have some patience and wait for the one you are going to release tonight.
Not to seem impatient, but have you got any idea what time you are going to post the new build?
Old 20 August 2012, 17:32   #632
gibs
Banned

Rename your database folder s:tinylauncher into s:tinylauncher.old and so the current version you're using of the binary.
So you can downgrade easily.

Uploaded from my mobile:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...uncher2b28.exe

Last edited by gibs; 20 August 2012 at 17:59.
Old 20 August 2012, 19:14   #633
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

TT scan works perfectly now, but i assume you still haven't any clue about the A-Z folder scan issue.
Old 20 August 2012, 19:27   #634
gibs
Banned

Ah !? I thought yesterday you told it wasnt crashing anymore !!
I have almost finished to fix the long directories.
Old 20 August 2012, 19:37   #635
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It still crashes with no error. Only a single folder scan works at the moment.
Old 20 August 2012, 23:12   #636
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

I just tried the latest beta.
At this point, I haven't changed anything in my folder structure. I am doing this to be able to test properly if the bugs I reported in have been fixed in the latest version.
I am trying to analyze every bug as much as I can, so I really hope you can use this information to fix them. Feel free to ask me to test specific scenarios.

Building the database for my 349 demos works fine (same as before)

But now for the bugs/feature requests:

1) My games unfortunately makes the buffer run out at about the 1550 mark in the 1st level directory scanning. I have tried messing around with both chip and fast ram settings, but this does not change anything. Could you maybe use a swap file or something like that while building the database to get around the buffer problems?

2) I did try the tool type thing, by putting one of my games that depend on the tool types in the demo directory, but at first Tiny Launcher just froze (crashed) when trying to launch the game. I played around with some different stuff and finally found out that the info file needs to have the exact same name as the directory it is in for this to work (e.g. eob2/eob2.info). When I did that it detected my tool types and could launch the game just fine.
Could you maybe support using info files with different names, as there are several releases that use different directory and info naming? I realize there are other possible problems with this, as there can be several info files in a directory and the scanning procedure could get even heavier than it is right now. At least you should return some message instead of just crashing.

3) I tried launching the 9Fingers demo, but it crashed the system. I then tried it on the old 20b02 version and it works on that version? I then tried renaming the info file, and then it worked in the new version.
I then realized that the info file for 9Fingers was a hi-color icon type (NewIcon?), where the ones I got working are good old 4 color icons. It seems you only support old type info files?

4) Another thing I noticed is when you mix capitalized first letters with lower-case first letters for the directories, it makes strange results in the fastnav bar. I had a directory with a lower-case "e" and the fastnav reads ABCDEeEFG, which is a bit odd...

5) I don't know if it is by design, but if I don't build the database, the scanner stops at 1000 entries. It does not crash or anything, but does not scan all the directories either.

6) I tried putting 1200 games into a folder to get around the crashing, to see if the fastnav 4 digits bug is fixed (point 5 in my last bugreport). It still messes up when it exceeds 1000 entries, so this bug is still in there.

7) I still get errors when I activate RAD (point 8 in my last bugreport).

8) Please make it possible to skip fastnav. If you press up by accident, you cannot cancel the fastnav. The intuitive choice would be to make pressing down cancel the fastnav.

Last edited by KTC; 20 August 2012 at 23:17. Reason: Some points explained better.
Old 21 August 2012, 04:50   #637
gibs
Banned

@KTC
Thanks for your report.

1/ I have modified the code for the buffer. need to be tested but seems to work.

2/ ATM, the TL doesn't crash if TT aren't detected it is supposed to launch the game with standard options. As you said there are readme, solutions, and more info files. I could test wich one have some TT to know the one to use but if in a collection someone put some TT in a readme or solution or whatever it's going to be funny. Of course the I could test if in the TT there are known TT by whdload. but some games like DIZZY contains 2 disks so 2 .info known by whdload and ... you see it's easier to execute the game with standard options and then if you really want a custom launch doing an AmigaDos script... no ?

3/ I don't know. I should try with your version. As I said, if TT aren't detected it use the standard options.

4/ Indeed, I should improve that.

5/ It was by design. 1000 entries was for the realtime scan (not for the DB) which doesn't exist anymore. The number 1000 doesn't exist anymore in the code (I have checked).

6/ I haven't checked that yet but I'll do it.

7/ same as 6

8/ Press "Enter" or "Fire" no ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...ncher22b30.exe

-long filename fix
-TT detection improved
-better buffer management

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@RetroNerd

Try to scan with this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...CrashDebug.exe
I hope this will give us some clues where it crash.

Last edited by gibs; 21 August 2012 at 11:58. Reason: update
Old 21 August 2012, 12:58   #638
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

2) Sorry. I guess the crashing was due to my game not being able to launch correctly without the tool types. This is not Tiny Launchers fault
I guess you could look if "Default tool" is "WHDLOAD", as other info files could just as well have their own tool types.
But anyway, to keep this light and simple (tiny), the way it is working now is actually just fine, if you ask me.

3) I tried making info files with identical tool types for a demo, where one was based on NewIcon, and the other was a normal icon type.
The normal icon type was detected correctly and the demo ran.
The NewIcon type made Tiny Launcher crash the machine when attempting to launch the demo, just showing a black screen immediately, blinking power led and a software failure (guru).
All the icons in the KG packs are NewIcon types, so this is a big problem.

5) Confirmed.

8) Actually there is a problem when you just want to launch the top entry on the screen. As soon as you navigate there, the fastnav appears, even if you don't press up again.
"Enter" and "Fire" confirms the fastnav choice. I would like a way to cancel it, if you activated fastnav by accident.
Old 21 August 2012, 13:23   #639
gibs
Banned

3/ All my game installs come from KG (I'm sure of that) , and they just works. how can I check which icon version I have ? maybe the crash comes from something else ?
My Demos come from a compile of 270 demos.
I had no crash at all. I even started the 9fingers: TT detected and runs fine.

8/ ok I'm going to fix that.
Old 21 August 2012, 14:53   #640
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

3) Let's use 9Fingers as test then.
My 9Fingers.info file is 8389 bytes. This files makes Tiny Launcher crash when I try to launch the demo.
I tried opening the info file in Iconian and saving it as a normal icon type. Now it detected the tool types and launched correctly.
Then I tried opening the info file in Iconian again and saving it as a NewIcon type. Now it crashed Tiny Launcher again.

PS: In the latest build I have to press fire twice to launch an item. You probably know this, but I wanted to let you know anyway
AdSense AdSense