English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 September 2011, 21:21   #1
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

TSGUI v2 question

I'm using TSGUI v2 and have written back 200+ images to floppys so far and really love the app.
My question however, is this.

If i write an image back to a formatted disk it take around 90 seconds to complete.

If i tick format while writing then it only takes 50 seconds?????

Surely if it has to format each track before writing data to it, it should take even longer?

Anyway, Not an issue, just curious.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 September 2011, 21:41   #2
thomas

Normal write command reads the existing track, changes the data in memory, then writes the changed data to disk. Format command assembles a new track in memory, then writes it to disk. Format is faster because it does not need to read the existing data, it accesses the disk only once per track.

These are characteristics of trackdisk.device, it has nothing to do with TSGUI.
Old 24 September 2011, 21:46   #3
DaveMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Normal write command reads the existing track, changes the data in memory, then writes the changed data to disk. Format command assembles a new track in memory, then writes it to disk. Format is faster because it does not need to read the existing data, it accesses the disk only once per track.

These are characteristics of trackdisk.device, it has nothing to do with TSGUI.
Ok thanks, no reason not to tick the box then, wonder why its even an option.... surely nobody would deliberately choose the slow option?
Old 05 October 2011, 10:41   #4
CommAmm

problem with TSGUI

Hi all,
I have an A500 with a CF card connected and now I'm trying to copy ADF files to floppy disks using TSGUI (not sure about the version).

The problem I have is that only few images run properly when installed in a floppy disk (the game Wings for example) but usually when I boot with the disk image the message is : "not a dos disk" or "checksum error 880".

I have copied the same adf's using a null modem cable from PC to Amiga (10 minuts each copy!) and it works fine.

I'm so close to avoid this transfer.... But I cannot find out what's going wrong.

Has anyone have this problem before?

Last edited by CommAmm; 05 October 2011 at 10:49.

Old 05 October 2011, 12:14   #5
DaveMB

Make sure you tick the verify box otherwise it tends to 'ignore' disk errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommAmm View Post
Hi all,
I have an A500 with a CF card connected and now I'm trying to copy ADF files to floppy disks using TSGUI (not sure about the version).

The problem I have is that only few images run properly when installed in a floppy disk (the game Wings for example) but usually when I boot with the disk image the message is : "not a dos disk" or "checksum error 880".

I have copied the same adf's using a null modem cable from PC to Amiga (10 minuts each copy!) and it works fine.

I'm so close to avoid this transfer.... But I cannot find out what's going wrong.

Has anyone have this problem before?
Old 05 October 2011, 14:18   #6
thomas

Quote:
but usually when I boot with the disk image the message is : "not a dos disk" or "checksum error 880".
This could mean that you have a bootblock virus active in memory. Bootblock viruses usually behave like AmigaDOS boot blocks. If a game with a custom boot block is written to disk, the virus immediately overwrites the custom boot block by itself. Now if you boot the disk, the virus is loaded instead of the custom boot block. The custom boot block would have run the game but the virus instead loads AmigaDOS and expects the disk to be in AmigaDOS format which it is not. It is in a custom format which only the custom boot block would be able to read.

Now your main task is to find an Amiga boot disk (preferably Workbench) which is not infected by the virus. If you found such, make sure its write protect switch is on and never remove it again. Then switch off the computer, wait a few seconds, switch it on again and boot from the uninfected disk. Open a DOS window and enter this command:

copy c:install ram:

Now insert one infected disk at a time and for each enter this command:

ram:install df0:

After all infected disks have been cleaned you can try to write a game with custom boot block again.
Old 06 October 2011, 10:34   #7
CommAmm

Hi,
thnks thomas. I'll try it. If I really have a virus, maybe it's located in the CF... How can I delete it? In order to copy the ADF file in a cleaned disk I need the TSGUI application, that is located in the CF. Perhaps if I have a virus in the CF I will wite it again on track 0...

Old 06 October 2011, 11:55   #8
thomas

Usually a bootblock virus does not infect files and vice versa, so it cannot be on the CF. The virus is on your boot disk, if it is a floppy disk. And it stays in memory once you booted from this disk, so you need to switch off the computer in order to clean the memory.

You can boot from a (copy of a) non-infected disk, then copy the CF drivers from the infected disk to the uninfected disk, accurately taking care not to reset the computer while the infected disk is in the drive.

Perhaps you already have an uninfected boot disk with a virus checker which can detect and kill the virus from memory (and disk). This would make things a lot easier.
AdSense AdSense