English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 July 2011, 23:34   #61
switchblade

Well, gee. I can imagine a lot of games that fit this list. Too bad I can't be arsed to list them all, so I'll just point out the ones that I can think of:

Shadow of the Beast - do I really have to say more? I definitely love the 3rd game, despite the other 2.

Superfrog - level design doesn't feel very well though-out. Very annoying spike traps. And whenever you get hit, especially in the air, it takes a lifetime just to get Superfrog back up and moving again because of that stupid animation you have to put up with after losing a hit point. Irritating. I really hate the music for both the title screen and all of World 1. That singing frog made me want to take a shotgun to that little bastard.

Zool - to be honest, I don't think the graphics in Zool even qualify as eye-candy, even when it was first released. And again, terrible level design, and slippery controls.

Gods and Bubba n' Stix are okay. At least they weren't trying to compete with Mario or Sonic, which is a good thing.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 July 2011, 00:41   #62
Maren
Banned

Bollocks on anyone who listed Zool
Old 28 July 2011, 01:02   #63
Photon

Maren, yeah, although I didn't play this until later, I found it enjoyable enough even though I think the problem for me IIRC was to know where to go, sort of.

(Side note: I see kind of a pattern (for my own view of playability). Big sprites = not enough room to dodge and can't see far enough to plan against traps and challenges. Works for IK+ and the like with static screens. I dunno, maybe a chimera. Certainly has nothing to do with eyecandy anyway.)
Old 28 July 2011, 02:53   #64
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Team Suzuki

Powermonger

The latter probably because I didnt have the manual...
Old 28 July 2011, 03:07   #65
Photon

It didn't come in the box!? You should have returned it the store!

Hehe, manuals are for sure a big factor in how intuitive they've made the game, and so how fast you'd give up if you ehrm...xcopied it. (BOINGGG!) So, many games could be victim to this, even though 'how much knowledge from the manual a game needs to be played right' is at least a part of how enjoyable a game is. And many of the manuals were like those folded menus you get at the pizzeria, thankfully Or at least for my genre (mostly arcade action only).
Old 28 July 2011, 10:06   #66
BrooksterMax

I thought Brian the Lion looked very pretty but probably only gave it a few minutes play, probably the same thing as Mr Nutz.
Old 29 July 2011, 08:10   #67
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I also enjoyed Unreal. The 3D sections were pretty fun to me, and the platforming sections had a "memorize this shit" vibe that I actually enjoyed back at time. It's not awesome stuff, but IMO it's very far of being crap.

Regarding both Project-X and Xenon 2...

In the case of Xenon 2, I can only imagine someone liking this game having zero experience with shmups before. The music is awesome... everything else is HORRIBLE. The game is awfuly slow, the collision detection simply doesn't work, the level design is just atrocious, the shop breaks up the gameplay which was already painfully slow to begin, the framerate is crap, the controls don't respond very well, and who the hell thought it was a good idea do be able to scroll BACKWARDS in a vertical shmup? Everything Xenon 2 does, it does wrongly.I don't think even the GFX are that good either.

The first Xenon was eons better (Even though it was just an average shmup), but it also had some heavy issues with its collision detection.

IMO Xenon 2 is one of the most overrated amiga games ever, if not *the* most overrated. I can even understand someone enjoying the likes of Shadow of the Beast, but Xenon 2 has absolutely nothing going for it except its music.

Project-X in the other hand, looks very beautiful and it's very slick.... but it still plays like a turd. Inertia in a shmup is always a bad idea, and the way the game throws timed waves at you, one type of enemy at time is just completely lazy design. Project-X is a bit better than Xenon 2, but it's still pretty bad.

Amiga had some awesome shmups that deserve a lot more of love. Anyone loving Xenon 2 should take a look at Battle Squadron which, while not the best vertical shmup ever (Its not even the best shmup on the amiga library IMO), destroys Xenon 2 in nearly every aspect, and even its music is extremely awesome.

Now... Lethal Weapon? Really? Not only I can't see any eye-candy on it (It looks pretty bland IMO), but it's also a very reasonable game IMO, I played a lot of it back when I had lots of free time and most of it was spent playing games
Old 29 July 2011, 08:42   #68
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Amiga had some awesome shmups that deserve a lot more of love. Anyone loving Xenon 2 should take a look at Battle Squadron which, while not the best vertical shmup ever (Its not even the best shmup on the amiga library IMO), destroys Xenon 2 in nearly every aspect, and even its music is extremely awesome.
Agree, but on the other hand, BS is extremelly repetitive.
Old 29 July 2011, 15:08   #69
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, most shmups are .

Best shmup on Amiga is Apidya .
Old 29 July 2011, 17:40   #70
Photon

Quote:
Well, most shmups are .

Yeah, tried it just for a minute when I installed WHDLoad a while back, seemed quite competent. Felt the gfx were great but childish theme - maybe a perfect candidate for a C.A.R.E. space/tech remake? Should be doable to just swap gfx and perhaps sound (don't remember if that also was insect-themed).

We sure have dedicated people, sprite rippers, coders and whatnot here

But maybe it's just my hang-up and I'm in a minority...
Old 29 July 2011, 18:01   #71
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Felt the gfx were great but childish theme
It's not childish. It's japanese wannabe
Old 29 July 2011, 18:28   #72
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Well, most shmups are .

For me SWIV and Silkworm. Then Banshee and Apidya.
Old 29 July 2011, 18:41   #73
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Must admit I never played Banshee.

SWIV and Silkworm are pretty good (Silkworm is better)... but IMO they are no match for the genious level design of Apidya.

And this is becoming a shmups thread... can we split this discussion, or is there already a thread for this?
Old 29 July 2011, 19:38   #74
Photon

Yeah, I think all of those have eye candy AND good gameplay.
Old 28 May 2015, 02:00   #75
DisposableHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yeah, tried it just for a minute when I installed WHDLoad a while back, seemed quite competent. Felt the gfx were great but childish theme - maybe a perfect candidate for a C.A.R.E. space/tech remake? Should be doable to just swap gfx and perhaps sound (don't remember if that also was insect-themed).

We sure have dedicated people, sprite rippers, coders and whatnot here

But maybe it's just my hang-up and I'm in a minority...
Great idea, remove what made it unique and turn it into Generic Space Shooter #815.....
Old 28 May 2015, 19:26   #76
Photon

I guess you haven't seen the shooters Apidya r...remixed?

Nothing is removed from the original version by making another version.

With all the eyebrains, tentacles, biological growths, etc pervading the shooters it might actually be that space/tech shooters are in a minority since around 1988 on most platforms ...
Old 28 May 2015, 20:47   #77
Leffmann

Dragonstone and Darkmere.
AdSense AdSense