English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 August 2002, 11:33   #1
Commodore Collector
Obliterator boxed original - is it rare or not ?

I have an original of Psygnosis Obliterator and would like to trade it against some hardware.
Before I do that I would like to know if perhaps it is a rare original game and also what would you collectors assume it is worth ?

Thanks in advance
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 August 2002, 02:51   #2
Give up the ghost
It's not rare-rare in that it is uncommon. It sold a lot of copies, even though it's one of the earlier Psygnosis titles. An example of older Psygnosis titles from the same era that *are* rare would be Deep Space or Arena, which were far less popular and thus relatively obscure (and command a higher pricetag in online auctions).

Another factor which makes Psygnosis titles rare is the inclusion of extras, such as t-shirts - particularly if they are unworn or if the package still shrink-wrapped.

Despite these factors, you may be able to convince the person you are dealing with in the trade that the game is more rare than it actually is. I have even seen ebay auctions with text that suggests something rarer than it is and the bids increase accordingly, but not usually.
Old 22 August 2002, 03:37   #3
Twistin', any predictions on your part as to the value of old computer games, say, in 10 years?

I mean, as far as I can tell from eBay, the only games that sell for more now than their original price are certain Infocom and Origin titles.

That means my most valuable old computer game is my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from Infocom, with all the contents still sealed behind shrinkwrap (although the box is not sealed).

I recently got a bunch of used but good condition C64 games complete with boxes and instructions for about 75 cents each. They included several Telarium adventures, Maniac Mansion, old flat EA titles and other classics. But still, will these be worth more than $5 each in 10 years?
AdSense AdSense