English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 02 June 2011, 23:56   #1
scottyvdub

hi everyone

hello, i have just dug out and vacumed out, my amiga 1200, havnt even looked at it for 15 years, she fired up first time. i had a quick look around work bench played a bit of road rash and had a go on zool 2, memmorys,
any way i opend the old 1200 to hoover, hopeing to find a blizzard or some kind of goodies but what i found was not a lot. no hard drive no card and 3.0 kickstarts. this is what i do have
the commodore A1200, id num-530311, made in the philipines.
logig 3 speed mouse!
gravis game pad.
saitek megastick iv.
original zool 2 disks
original road rash discs
copys of workbench 3.0 ,the very first,the works,page stream 2.2
and like i said 3.0 kickstarts.
I am not a complete and total novice but i dont know an awfull lot about amiga, so any infomation you can give me about my machine i would be gratefull, i guess this is the commodore machine rather than the escom.
What should i do with my 1200 now, i dont want to spend loads of money on the thing so i suppose i should get a hard drive,what type do you think a flash card? and maybe workbench 3.1 should i get the 3.1 kickstarts?
this is my first post so i have probably gone on a bit, but its quite exiting playing with the old retro 1200, thinking about geting a dreamcast.but like i said any info about the old 1200 would be great
scotty

AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 June 2011, 00:45   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Scotty!

Firstly welcome to EAB, you've come to the right place as you'll find lots of useful info from basic upgrades to damn right crazy OTT mods

Your A1200 is a nice base to start with, 3.0 Roms are fine, you only need 3.1 Roms if you want to run OS3.5/3.9 and even then there are ways around that.

I suggest a 4gb CF card (with CF-IDE adapter) which has space for about 2250 WHDLoad games, this will keep you busy Oh and check out Classic Workbench, its a pre installed Workbench pack with all the apps you need to make your return to the scene a little easier.

To run most games you'll need some kind of memory upgrade, an 4mb or 8mb trapdoor upgrade will be fine and shouldn't cost more than 40

From there the skys the limit, the Blizzard 1230's and such cards start at about the 100 mark and will give your A1200 a nice boost so you can play games like Doom and get more out of Workbench however most of the classics work fine with just a Ram upgrade.

There were some new Accelerators produced in 2010 by Individual Computers, I think they're sold out now the ACA1230's were priced starting at 85, I imagine they'll produce more as they were in good demand otherwise there are other options in between Ram and Blizzards 1230's like Viper/MTEC 1230's and Apollo/Blizzard 1220's which go for around 60 these will have a faster 020 or 030 processor and will give you a modest speed boost.

I think thats enough info for now, if you have any questions fire away

Steve.
Old 03 June 2011, 01:04   #3
scottyvdub

thanks for the reply, i think i will go for a trap door memmory upgrade first, what should i search for, are those called fast ram, and to conect to my tv im plugged into the rgb sockets in the side of the tv, is a rgb to scart much better

Old 03 June 2011, 01:06   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
thanks for the reply, i think i will go for a trap door memmory upgrade first, what should i search for, are those called fast ram, and to conect to my tv im plugged into the rgb sockets in the side of the tv, is a rgb to scart much better
RGB Scart will be the best picture for sure, some TV's can be a little fussy though.

Just search for A1200 / Amiga 1200 Ram / Memory Upgrade if eBay but also check out Amibay there was one a little while back for 45 posted but I don't know if its still available.

All the best,

Steve.

This is the one:

http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=14428 might be sold now though.
Old 03 June 2011, 04:13   #5
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Hi scottyvdub

if you intend to use an RGB scart cable with an LCD/Plasma TV buy a cable from amigakit.com as they are fixed for modern TVs (there are plenty of threads about the issues here)

i second Steve's WHDLoad suggestion, along with a CF HD and ram expansion, buying all those classics from ebay will cost a small fortune

also you'll need a way to transfer the WHDLoad files from your PC to your Amiga, an easy way is to buy EasyADF, again from amigakit.com, the full package includes a PCMCIA adaptor, a CF card and a floppy disk for installation... you basically copy the files from your PC onto the CF card, insert the card into the PCMCIA adaptor which plugs in the slot on the left hand side of your Amiga, in workbench you can then just drag and drop the files on your Amiga's HD... it also allows you to transfer ADFs to floppy disk (in workbench) if you decide not to use WHDLoad

anyway... welcome and have fun!
Old 03 June 2011, 11:54   #6
pubzombie

HELLO :-)
Welcome to eab. Fitzsteve has pretty much covered all you need to start. I have 2 Amiga 1200s up and running. My fave has the 4gig flashcard hdd, and an 030 with 64mb of ram. I also got the tv scart lead and a converted atx psu from amigakit. I too use easy adf transfer but have found I quite enjoy (don't get out much) using uae to transfer loads of stuff to my hdds when they are attached to my pc. I would recomend using a better psu if u upgrade your 1200 , as mine was a bit flakey running on a 20yr old original psu, especially if I plugged in any other stuff like disk drives. I look on my miggies as long term hobbies as things aren't always easy to get at a price I can afford without redirecticting the flow of my beer tokens :'( However there are some great folks here to help and I have always found the guys at amigakit very helpful and put up with my noobishness, and the products very good quality.
AdSense AdSense