English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 May 2011, 15:25   #1
Hewitson

Silkworm: Amiga vs Arcade

It really bothers me that many people seem to think the Amiga version of this game is better than the arcade.

The arcade version has much bigger and better looking sprites, nicer looking colours, and has great background music. What exactly is it about the Amiga version that people like so much?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 May 2011, 16:08   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Arcade is too big on the screen (zoomed in view?) - the Amiga version for me plays much better and I am a little bias as its the first game I played on and A500 and what made me want an Amiga so bad!
Old 23 May 2011, 16:42   #3
Adropac2
Zone Friend

One really great thing i remember of the arcade was that it had this very low deep boom of a sound when you destroyed the bosses

Other than that i thought the Amiga version was very well done, but better? can't recall me thinking that at the time .Time to fire up mame

For some people it's likely because they played it on Amiga first like how i much prefer NZ story on Amiga over the superior arcade

Last edited by Adropac2; 23 May 2011 at 16:48.
Old 23 May 2011, 16:53   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Why better?
Because I didn't have to visit the arcades to play it, I didn't have to pay to play it, I didn't have to wait in line to play it, I didn't have to deal with idiots behind my back complaining I play it too long
Old 23 May 2011, 17:21   #5
Bloodwych

The Amiga version is class, I think many people have it spot on. These kind of things are always subjective anyway.

Thread really needs a vid - so here is the Arcade version: [ Show youtube player ]

The Amiga in general had aweful arcade ports, but Silkworm I feel was better on the Amiga.

It has more screen space, plays better (especially in two player) and the BOOOOMING sound effects. Also seemed a little more frantic and had fast paced "seat of the pants" playability.

The Arcade feels like some chunky generic midi sounding VGA PC game in comparison, even though it was better in certain areas it felt overall worse to me.

Perhaps it's because I played the Amiga version SOOO much with friends in multiplayer, that the Arcade just didn't feel right.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 23 May 2011 at 17:37.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:44   #6
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

yup,

Amiga version had a better gameplay feel to it. Its got more an arcade feel to it than the original arcade version did.

The original arcade version gameplay reminds me of a wet fart when I play it.
Old 23 May 2011, 19:56   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Amiga version has truly great sound effects. That really makes all the difference to me. The arcade version music is truly terrible, it totally kills the experience.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:46   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

It's case similar to Cabal.
Old 23 May 2011, 21:50   #9
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It really bothers me that many people seem to think the Amiga version of this game is better than the arcade.
Do you know why many people think the Amiga version is better than the arcade version? Because the Amiga version is better than the arcade version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Why better?
Because I didn't have to visit the arcades to play it, I didn't have to pay to play it, I didn't have to wait in line to play it, I didn't have to deal with idiots behind my back complaining I play it too long
Get lost, you have no permission to post here.

Amiga Silkworm is for me the best horizontal shmup on any computer (not system), for its gameplay. Arcade/MAME version is ok, but imo the Amiga version is the reason why people love Silkworm so much.

Last edited by Sensi; 24 May 2011 at 19:07.
Old 24 May 2011, 00:52   #10
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
The Amiga version is class, I think many people have it spot on. These kind of things are always subjective anyway.

Thread really needs a vid - so here is the Arcade version: [ Show youtube player ]

The Amiga in general had aweful arcade ports, but Silkworm I feel was better on the Amiga.

It has more screen space, plays better (especially in two player) and the BOOOOMING sound effects. Also seemed a little more frantic and had fast paced "seat of the pants" playability.

The Arcade feels like some chunky generic midi sounding VGA PC game in comparison, even though it was better in certain areas it felt overall worse to me.

Perhaps it's because I played the Amiga version SOOO much with friends in multiplayer, that the Arcade just didn't feel right.

I definitely recall there being a very deep bass from the final boss explosion in the arcade version.Sadly this can't really be witnessed in mame i guess. Maybe they swapped the speakers for some mega bass ones in the version i played at my local. That screen does look more cramped though for sure

Certainly one of the better conversions but then it was storm

Colour wise it looks just about perfect on Amiga even though i expect it's 16 colours? i'm guessing the arcade version used 32 colours at least?

Anyway ST version beats all
Old 24 May 2011, 02:44   #11
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I used to play the Amiga version through an old valve bassed amp (had 200W written on it, it was loud but not sure 200 Watts loud) and had the bass up. Blew the cones on the speaker once from the explosions on this version. God knows what the arcade booms would have done then.

And for the record I preferred the Amiga version. Better sounds and a bigger screen.
Old 24 May 2011, 02:55   #12
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I never played the arcade version at the...er...arcades. My first encounter with it was only recently, via MAME.

Maybe I'm missing out on what Silkworm was like to actually experience at the arcade, or maybe my view is simply tinted and tainted because I played (and loved) the Amiga version first. All I can say, however, is that I was quite disappointed when I finally booted up the arcade original in MAME. It just looked ugly in comparison to the Amiga version.
Old 24 May 2011, 03:43   #13
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Certainly on Youtube arcade Silkworm isn't done justice given how silky smooth it is- and Amiga of course. It would have all felt and looked different too if you saw it actually running at an arcade ie that feel you can't really recreate through just mame alone

That said though, there is a big difference with how much narrower the screen space is. Graphics upon inspection do also look less impressive regards to detail compared to Amiga

Might one day hook up a giant set of speakers and see what both games sound like

Just looked at NZ story again on Amiga and then Arcade and i really think this is another game that just seems more right on Amiga. It runs at a full screen rate for arcade but other than that the Amiga feels more snug regards to it's warm atmosphere- graphics are mostly spot on too

And to end, i think Rodland also feels nicer. There's a warmth to Amiga games that's an entirely diferent feel to most other machines.Like you're surrounded in a nice comforting bubble which is why i guess people love using the machine

Last edited by Adropac2; 24 May 2011 at 03:53.
Old 25 May 2011, 19:59   #14
JudasEZT

regarding Silkworm.. end bosses look small in arcade, in amiga are looks biggers. And in sound department there isnt comparision, apart of very superior sound effects, quit that ugly music was to be right.
Old 25 May 2011, 20:54   #15
laffer
Zone Friend

I like the Amiga version much better.

I just wish this and SWIV would have in-game music... not the arcade music though which doesn't sound that great to me.
AdSense AdSense