English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 September 2002, 13:27   #161
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
The NeXT systems didn't sell wel to end users. But they were a hit with developers. It was far too much, too soon. Stuff we are seeing today in OS X, but slightly modified came from NeXT.
When Jobs left Apple he took the style and clearly the genius engineers with him. I mean these systems were beautiful and powerful!! Take your pick!!! I am a wealth of NeXT info and pictures, so if anyone want to see more including the actual NeXT Cube brochure in PDF let me know. It's too big to attach.
When I make more deskspace I'll set up my NeXT Cube and snap a pic of it.
If you are a NeXT guru then maybe you can help me with a problem I have at work with NeXT OS. We run just about 500 Campaq machines with NeXT OS installed for custom Bank stock trading applications. The project started out serveral years ago on NeXT hardware but had to be changed to PC hardware when NeXT got out of the hardware business and ported to x86. The issue is that several machines loose connection to the network everyday and have to be rebooted. Yes I mean you have to push the power button wait 40 seconds then push it again. This is a pain for my department because we have better things to do then micromanage NeXT OS Compaq machines. Were too busy fixing and building Bank web applications to be bothered with this but it interupts our work flow. Thanks in advance for any help.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 September 2002, 14:37   #162
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Hell yeah Pyro. I loved 'em since the 16 bit era. I never could find a good one in my Sega and Super Nintendos, so I bought my pal's Atari STE (he upped to a Amiga 1200) just to play Blue Max. I was so depressed Red Baron never made it to the ST. My faves on the PC are Il-2 Sturmovik, near perfect a game could be, and European Air War, great for customizing. Oh and Rown's last game, Battle of Britain.
I loved Blue Max on the C64.
Old 05 September 2002, 15:50   #163
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Coolarific, Pyro! I've played that, albeit in a retro stage. I did, however, own a Sega Master System and was introduced to Flight Sims via the superb Ace of Aces. Man, Oscar, those 2, F-18 and F-16 were top notch. My preference is for WW 1 and WW 2 flight sims if I had to choose. Their Finest Hour and Reach for the Skies also kick arse.
Old 05 September 2002, 17:03   #164
IanS

Poor old IBM and OS2. If they hadn't have gone their seperate ways from MS, who knows what might have happened? BeOs, if I remember correctly, was designed in part by ex Amiga guru Dave Haynie. The 'Next' machines looked pretty awsome for their time. A trip to Google is definitely in order for more info.

Didn't the Atari Jaguar have two 32 bit risc chips, with a plain 68000 running as some kind of control chip? They certainly advertised it as a "64 bit" console. More research needed to refresh my ailing memory...
Old 05 September 2002, 17:35   #165
oldpx

Those chips were named Tom and Jerry, that's so Amigaish . check the Jaguar FAQ.

Old 05 September 2002, 19:18   #166
IanS

Thanks Burseg

It makes very interesting reading. Unfortunately, a little like Commodore, in later life Atari had a bad record of marketing their products properly. The old 400/800 series were seriously overpriced in Britain, despite being advanced for the time (1979? to early '80s). The story of the ST is a dismal one, and I never owned one... but I have owned and used lots of their 8 bit stuff. Jay Miner (RIP) seemed to have a penchant for designing custom chips. Just the thought of POKEY, ANTIC and CTIA/GTIA bring a tear to my eye

I now have the urge to play 'Star Raiders'. Kill those dastardly Zylons! Raise the shields, fire photons, engage the Hyperwarp...
Old 06 September 2002, 02:47   #167
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

If you people are going to discuss RISC chips and its resulting OS, talk about the Acorn Archimedes.

http://acorn.revivalteam.de/
Old 06 September 2002, 03:39   #168
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Acorns? That brings back memories of the days as a kid I use to watch a couple of old British geisers (Brits, take no offense) fool with the Acorns on cable TV channel here int he states.
Nothing very interesting though. But here's the first computer I simply loved for the stealth look. It came CPM and had a built in assembler and disassembler, which was what I wanted to get into at the time. Z80 processor if I recall correctly. Anybody remember Memotech MTX??
Old 06 September 2002, 05:02   #169
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Heh, when I was a young 23, this fella lived on my block, he was from England, I think. I went over to watch football [soccer] with him [very few football fans here in America] on occasion. Every time he booted the Acorn I was amazed by it. All I had was a cruddy Atari STE and here I was drooling over RISC based architecture. No, Oscar, never played with a Memotech, but, as usual, you've tickled my retro-bone and I'm off to do a Sherlock
Old 06 September 2002, 05:19   #170
Oscar Castillo

Sad to admit, but I've yet to even test out Sherlock, I've been so much into the Developer Tools lately I haven't fooled with the other stuff. Waiting on the iCal, which should be interesting because I never bothered with calendar and scheduling programs before, but it seems that I need to because at work I'm always asked the same question "What's your schedule like?" or "What's on your calendar?".
Old 06 September 2002, 05:59   #171
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

A Sherlock is wonderful, and I have found rare songs using it. Love it. Also getting into Limewire. iCal I have not touched yet.
Old 06 September 2002, 07:12   #172
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
A Sherlock is wonderful, and I have found rare songs using it. Love it. Also getting into Limewire. iCal I have not touched yet.
Was just fooling with Sherlock and I looked up for no reason at all Commodore and it found a company called just plain Commodore in Philadelphia, even though I typed in West Chester. I like the way it automatically places the location on the map.
Old 06 September 2002, 12:58   #173
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Send a message via MSN to jrom
Some new info on the official amiga site about A1/OS4 can be read here
Old 06 September 2002, 18:12   #174
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by jrom
Some new info on the official amiga site about A1/OS4 can be read here
Abosolutely nothing of value in the article. More "I have a dream" speech and "keep hope alive".
Old 06 September 2002, 19:43   #175
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Send a message via MSN to jrom
Did I say there was anything of value in the article ?!
Old 07 September 2002, 01:10   #176
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Oh my goodneess, Oscar, You posted EXACTLY I was going to say. Or close to it. Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.
Old 07 September 2002, 03:32   #177
Oscar Castillo

I know. Intermittent pep talks to keep the troops interested mean nothing. A more meaningful article about what the hell is going on with them as a business and any talks about software and hardware development that are facts not just dreaming is what is need. Secrecy isn't important for Amiga now, it's lack of information and talks about nothing that keeps them down.
Old 09 September 2002, 16:46   #178
IanS

I agree with Oscar... it all sounds very corny. Too little of substance. How about some real news Bill? How long will we have to wait, and why should we want to buy PC hardware from Amiga Inc? We want to buy Amigas surely?
Old 09 September 2002, 17:30   #179
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

All I care about is the new OS. There's nothing "Amiga" about the hardware anymore.
Old 09 September 2002, 17:39   #180
jmmijo

OT:

I didn't know that Nipsy was an EAB'er
AdSense AdSense