English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 August 2002, 04:51   #121
Akira

Re: Oh pleeeease!

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
Unlike you, I'm not fixated on one particular view about this or any other computer.
Me neither. As I said, I used to be a potential A1 buyer, I changed my opinion now and I am not anymore.
Quote:
Life through rose coloured specs... how do you cope?
That makes no sense, because I use my Amiga for serious REAL LIFE work. I said it a zillion times. i'm not going into nostalgia mode an start remembering what I did back in the good ole days etc. My Amiga utilization for work is very real and current. You are invited to check it out anytime.

Agree with Buzz
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 August 2002, 04:55   #122
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
I too am not impressed by what I've been hearing and reading, but I suppose for those that wish to recapture the glory years of the Amiga, it's something to look forward too.
The problem is that many of the Amiga developers worht a damn have simply moved on. A few stragglers are left, but nothing major that will provide a significant software base from which new adoptees of the new Amiga platform will benefit.
I doubt many that used the Amiga used it simply for the love of the OS. I mean I liked the machine and all, but just giving me the opportunity to run AmigaOS on newer hardware isn't all that appealing by itself. It needs what all computers need to be successful. Applications running on it that you cannot do without or find elsewhere that force you to buy the hardware. It's a long way from there I'm afraid.
Old 29 August 2002, 05:50   #123
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
but I suppose for those that wish to recapture the glory years of the Amiga, it's something to look forward too.
How can I recapture the glory days if it is not compatible with software of the glory days? I dont think the A1 is about this. Korodny explains it pretty well.
Old 29 August 2002, 05:57   #124
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

How can I recapture the glory days if it is not compatible with software of the glory days? I dont think the A1 is about this. Korodny explains it pretty well.
Not to recapture the glory days in the sense that it compatible with all the old stuff. That it's Amiga for the new millenium. That those that remember it well and still have it in their blood will come back to it and develop for this new platform applications today that are every bit as good as those that came before and then some. Applications with the quality of AdPro or ImageMaster R/T, that sort of stuff.
Old 29 August 2002, 10:38   #125
IanS

Amiga spirit

I agree with Oscar about the apps. We need to revive the old Amiga spirit. Software sells hardware. The O/S is almost incidental. People do not buy computers JUST to run an O/S... unless they are very sad!

Akira, you openly stated that you wanted the A1 to be compatible with the custom chips of the original Amigas etc... a pointless excercise and a waste of valuable money to incorporate into any new Amiga. Anything you can do on a A1200/A4000 can be done on other platforms, be it PC, Apple, Sun, Silicon Graphics etc. Maybe you don't have the money to buy the stuff for your PC etc, but that is not the same thing. If you can find me a legitimate task, something that absolutely cannot be done on anything else but an Amiga, I'll flog all my other computers and invest the money in my little old 1200!!!!!

I suspect I'll still have them all for quite some time... and maybe an A1 too. If it ever actually appears.
Old 29 August 2002, 11:25   #126
oldpx

Why don't any of you guys say something about a mediator+sharkppc solution? This will be the fastest AND compatible amiga right?

Old 29 August 2002, 11:51   #127
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Re: Amiga spirit

Quote:
I agree with Oscar about the apps. We need to revive the old Amiga spirit. Software sells hardware. The O/S is almost incidental. People do not buy computers JUST to run an O/S... unless they are very sad!

I couldn't agree any less with any of this.

People who buy computers JUST to run an O/S are not sad, those are many of the people who read this board.

As for software sells hardware? That's the kind of shit we're putting up with in respect to all these new consoles we see today, most of which aren't worth a dime. The Amiga software didn't sell the hardware-- The quality of the hardware did. Perhaps the Apps and Games were just incidental? The only software that sold the Amiga to me, at least, was the quality of the O/S. Hence...
Old 29 August 2002, 11:54   #128
Akira

Re: Amiga spirit

Quote:
Anything you can do on a A1200/A4000 can be done on other platforms, be it PC, Apple, Sun, Silicon Graphics etc. Maybe you don't have the money to buy the stuff for your PC etc, but that is not the same thing. If you can find me a legitimate task, something that absolutely cannot be done on anything else but an Amiga, I'll flog all my other computers and invest the money in my little old 1200!!!!!
I am tired of repeating myself, you know? Korodny already understood the way I use my Amigas and that it is UNIQUE to the platform. I have about 4 or 5 things I do that cannot be done AT ALL with a PC nor any other system. Stop saying as FACTS something that I say from EXPERIENCE that cannot be done on PCs. No matter how much I invest on them. Not the case with any of my applications, but it might be the case that there is something you can do with the Amiga and also with the latest SGI machine.... But compare prices. Let's not be stupid. If my needs do not need of a Silicon, I don't buy a Silicon (you said this yourself. You are contradicting yourself again). That's why those shitty scifi shows used Amigas instead of SGIs.

Buy yourself a roundtrip ticket to Buenos Aires, I invite you a night to one of my setups, I invite you to some drinks, I present you the chicks, give you some drugs if you want. I show you what the amiga does, I give you 8 hours to think how to do that on the PC, and by the end of the sesh, I make you EAT a PC Hightower, how does that sound? Or I make you buy me a fully pimped A4000 (Video Toaster Flyer and all!)

Please ian, you are the one being fixated with yoru views about the Amiga. If I tell you it can do something others can, is because it does. I don't talk from the arse. And since my A1200 does its job very well, I do not need a new machine.
Old 29 August 2002, 12:20   #129
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Re: Re: Amiga spirit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Buy yourself a roundtrip ticket to Buenos Aires, I invite you a night to one of my setups, I invite you to some drinks, I present you the chicks, give you some drugs if you want. I show you what the amiga does, I give you 8 hours to think how to do that on the PC, and by the end of the sesh, I make you EAT a PC Hightower, how does that sound? Or I make you buy me a fully pimped A4000 (Video Toaster Flyer and all!)
Don't invite him! Invite me instead! hehehehe

I don't want to eat any PC though. But maybe I can sleep with some of your nicer computers! or a chick.. but... hmm.. My only experience is with inflatable women :-)
Old 29 August 2002, 12:54   #130
Akira

PJ, I gib j00 da chicks, da retrocompies and everything
Old 29 August 2002, 16:02   #131
IanS

Big grin sadness

PJ,

Just what is the point of buying a computer just to run an O/S if you don't have any software to run on it? I can see it now... people buying Amigas simply because they saw a screenshot of Workbench in a mag and thought 'oh yeah, a cool O/S' ... yeah right!

A computer without Software is just an ornament. It sits there doing very little and trying to look nice.

The quality of the Amiga hardware may have sold Amigas to people... but only when they saw some game or application software running on it. That is why people buy computers... to do something on them.

I work in a University, which has more computers than you're likely to see in a lifetime. Acedemic Computing Services, where I work, offers amongst other things, user areas for students dotted all over the various campus and halls of residence. Hundreds of PCs, plus Sun and Silicon Graphics and Apple units, all running a myriad of Apps. And that doesn't include the individual departments that have their own particular setupsThere are literally dozens of servers campus wide, including mainframes (there's some really cool stuff that would make any comuter fanatic foam at the mouth!). Did they buy these because of the O/S, or because they needed software which runs on that particular platform?

I've worked in the private sector too, and I know for a fact that SOFTWARE sells hardware. If Amiga want the A1 to be mainstream, they need to target not only home users, but business too. And for that, they need killer apps. Simple.

Perhaps you ought to look out of the window and see what the real world uses computers for.
Old 29 August 2002, 16:10   #132
IanS

Question

Akira,

Thanks for the invitation... I'm packing my bags as we speak! Haven't had a decent holiday for a while. Oh, but no drugs please. Just lots of girls!

I'm not sure where I'm contradicting myself on any of these points... but I'm sure you'll point it out to me in detail

Anyway, to your points about the Amiga and it's talents. I'd love to know (seriously) what you can't do on anything but the miggy. Then I have a mission to try and prove you wrong... I like a challenge
Old 29 August 2002, 19:52   #133
Oscar Castillo

The Amiga was certainly the first to give us a glimpse of what a multimedia PC is, at the time. The name may be able to gather support among the Amiga faithful, but unless it can draw people to it with useful applications that are on the same level, but cost much less, it really doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Straight out of the box it need to have a killer web browser, and very excellent networking capabilities that will allow it to coexist with Windows/UNIX/Mac minimum. After that it's basic stuff like an office suite. The rest of it should be those apps you'd expect to see on Amiga, video and audio based.
Old 29 August 2002, 21:51   #134
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Re: sadness

Quote:
Perhaps you ought to look out of the window and see what the real world uses computers for.

Possibly, but it makes no odds to me what the 'real world' uses computers for, since the real world has no real computer users. Not as far as I see anyway, and I'm clearly elitist... and proud of it.

I work for a games company, so I don't think you're in any position to tell me what sells computers and what doesn't.

You seem like the jumped up kind of freakshow who'll assume things about people just to get a point across, and patronise those in your path to get there. I've been around this board for 2 odd years now, don't tell me what's what.

//edit : Noticed your part about 'More computers than I'll see in a lifetime'. I don't think you're right there mate, unless they have over 3,500? Don't patronise me, and don't try and tell me how many computers I've seen.
Old 30 August 2002, 10:27   #135
IanS

Oh, I'd like to hear your definition of "real" computer users.

A Games company. That clearly has a lot to do with the "real world" computing then? I thought that would be more of the recreational side of home computing. A category that makes up a tiny percentage of the overall software base. But then of course, you already know that.

You may feel patronised, you may have been around this board for two years, but if you can't if you can't see that software sells hardware, and not the O/S... you need some basic education. Try a basic economics class or business studies. Of course, working for a games company, I would have thought it obvious that that company makes a living from selling... erm... could it be games? Not hardware then? What a surprise.

More than 3500 computers? Yes, more than that. Lots more in fact.

Still feeling patronised?
Old 30 August 2002, 11:22   #136
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Ah, it seems you're simply a faggot. Never mind.

I'll try and find some conversation elsewhere.
Old 30 August 2002, 12:33   #137
IanS

Ah yes... a faggot. Meaty, tasty. Just like me I guess. But usually covered in gravy... unlike me. Thank you for the compliment PJ. Hope you can find some conversation elsewhere that suits your style. Try the local infants school.
Old 31 August 2002, 01:15   #138
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Games are a tiny percentage of the software base ?

I donīt think so. From what I seem, the usual home user will have lots of PIRATED apps on his computer, while he has a bigger chance of buying a game (Because itīs cheaper, you see).

Yeah, the companies NEED to buy original software, but I NEVER saw a home user buying windows or corel draw. They will pirate it.

HECK, even here in the university where I work (I am here now), we have a CRACKED version of Delphi and MathCAD in the computers.

Of course, here is Brazil, maybe in other countries we see different things..

Old 31 August 2002, 01:35   #139
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I have purchased both apps and games in the past, many times more games then apps but I have purchased OS2 3, Visual basic 5 pro , windows 95, windows 3.1, norton suite, and some other software including 50+ games.

I admit the average user buys alot more games then aplications. A majority of people who buy prebuilt dells just use the apps that come with that system, or burn a copy of office from their work.

Getting back to the topic of the amiga I have to admit I have no idea how large the current miga community is, but I bet only a small fraction will buy an Amiga one. This product is for a small niche market and very few people will program for it. The days where 1 to 5 people can be a software house are long gone, takes too much money to make software and the A1 doesnt nor will it have the user base to make it economically worth it.
Old 31 August 2002, 01:41   #140
oldpx

Quote:
Of course, here is Brazil, maybe in other countries we see different things..
At the university, in our department's lab, we have flash mx installed on every computer but it doesn't work on two computers at once because we're using a pirated serial number and flash can detect another .exe running on the network with the same serial#. So we disconnect the network cables, work with flash, save our work, reconnect the network and send the files to the server

AdSense AdSense