English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 August 2002, 01:23   #81
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Cant say i know, we dont get to know alot from the r&d lads until a week before the boards go into production, I just design packaging and adverts, the only time I get to peek at a new board is if i need a photo of it for one reason or another.
The advantage is I can get stuff at trade price and any reject boards (my board has a defective DDR slot so I only have 2)
I run XP pro with no general problems although a bit of descent multitasking would not go amiss!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 August 2002, 04:49   #82
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I am awaiting further news on AmigaOne. Anyone know of the developments? I think its a load of bullshit feel bad for those who have their dreams up about such vaporware. Stick to your old trusty Amigas, and emulators. At least youse can run OS 3.9 and maybe OS 4 (if it comes out).
Old 17 August 2002, 07:58   #83
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
At least youse can run OS 3.9 and maybe OS 4 (if it comes out).
OS4 will run on an Amiga ONLY if it is PowerPC capable.
Old 17 August 2002, 08:08   #84
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
So whats the deal with the AmigaOne anyway, all the old software still needs and emulator to run on that unit?
kind of expensive just be able to run an OS on it, anybody developing for it?

I do find the CommodoreOne to be amusing because it will run the old c64 software, use a 3.5" dd and has vga built in. Cost is like $200 for that I think
Old 17 August 2002, 18:40   #85
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

If the AmigaOne comes out, its well worth it to those who wish to use OS 4 to be their main OS as opposed to M$ or Apple. I would not mind having OS 4. I may be getting an old G3 iMac and since its PPC, I'd buy OS 4. Nothing wrong with having 3 OS's
I think the AmigaOne is a load of bull. I am a New Yorker, we smell a scam from miles away. I am hoping that OS 4 indeed comes out tho. But it seems to be tied with AmigaNone.
Old 17 August 2002, 19:13   #86
Korodny
Zone Friend

Wow, brilliant thread with some excellent contributions!

Personally, I don't care if my computer of choice is "more powerful" than the competition, if it's market share is bigger or smaller than Apple's, or if Windows comes with a free sex slave. As long as my system does what I need it to do and there's ongoing development, I'm satisfied.

Judging by the amount of people around me trying out Linux distros (without having much of a clue), it seems there is demand for alternative platforms.

Using AmigaOS is a completely different experience to using Linux or MacOS (not to mention Windows of course). I love it, and I'm sure there'll be other people learning to love it (again).

@Unknown_K

Quote:
So whats the deal with the AmigaOne anyway, all the old software still needs and emulator to run on that unit?
No. most software released/updated in the last 6-7 years will run on the AmigaOne. Obviously it is written for an 68k processor, so the OS has to have an inbuilt 68k processor emulator (do not confuse this with a complete "computer-emulator" as WinUAE). You won't recognise the difference between running a PPC native application like the upcoming AudioEvolution and your old 1996 copy of SBase4 Pro.

Quote:
anybody developing for it?
MediaPointRTG (multimedia authoring/broadcasting like Scala), AudioEvolution (HD-recording, mixing, sequencing), Real3D (Raytraycing), Sin (FPS), Papyrus (Office suite), OpenOffice, Motionstudio (NLE video editing), BurnIt Pro (CD/VideoCD/DVD authoring) are a few of the PPC only titles that I can remember atm (there's more).

Additionally, most existing Amiga software whith a copyright date somewhat newer than 1995 should run on the A1.

@Frederic:

Quote:
I think the AmigaOne is a load of bull. I am a New Yorker, we smell a scam from miles away.
Sorry to dissapoint you, but my A1 is real - and it works perfectly.
Old 17 August 2002, 20:02   #87
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
.........or if Windows comes with a free sex slave.
Great Idea but i dont think even that would make XP Pro worth its retail £300 price tag!

Maybe if it was an army of blonde 19 year old sex slaves I would consider parting with the money
Old 17 August 2002, 20:24   #88
Akira

Quote:
No. most software released/updated in the last 6-7 years will run on the AmigaOne. Obviously it is written for an 68k processor, so the OS has to have an inbuilt 68k processor emulator (do not confuse this with a complete "computer-emulator" as WinUAE). You won't recognise the difference between running a PPC native application like the upcoming AudioEvolution and your old 1996 copy of SBase4 Pro.
Hey hey, teacher! You forgot to say this will happen ONLY if you have your A1200 hooked onto it! The A1 lacks the custom chipsetry
Old 17 August 2002, 22:06   #89
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
@Frederic:

Sorry to dissapoint you, but my A1 is real - and it works perfectly.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 17 August 2002, 22:49   #90
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Akira:

Quote:
Hey hey, teacher! You forgot to say this will happen ONLY if you have your A1200 hooked onto it! The A1 lacks the custom chipsetry
Sorry, seems I haven't expressed myself clearly. I was talking about applications, "serious" software (not games). Most of them will work on the AmigaOne, even those that use the custom chips - as long as they only use OS function calls to access the custom chips. An example would be a program that insists on openening a 640*256 screen, but can be promoted (using ModePro/NewMode) to a Picasso96/Cgfx screen with the same resolution on a classic Amiga. Using "fake native screens", OS4 will automatically reroute the output of such an application to your gfx card. Calls to audio.device will also be redirected to AHI, therefore a program that uses audio.device to access the custom chips (e.g. to play samples) will still work on the AmigaOne.

All stuff that was released/updated in the last years has proper support for gfx and soundcards anyway. There are very few applications that...

1. work on my current Amiga,
2. won't run on the A1
3. are still useful these days

Apart from some hardware banging MIDI tools, I can only come up with three titles: DPaint, TrueBrilliance and Scala.

Games are a totally different story of course. All commercial games released before 1998 absolutely need the custom chips. But to be honest, to run these I would rather have a seperate setup with an A1200 and a big TV screen in front of some very comfortable chairs instead of slaughtering my 1200, forcing it into the same case as another computer and wasting lots of space on my desk with another monitor.

@Mick_AKA:

Quote:
Great Idea but i dont think even that would make XP Pro worth its retail £300 price tag!
Well, thinking about it, "free sex slaves from Microsoft" doesn't sound that good anymore. Just imagine the end user license agreement they would ship with...
Old 18 August 2002, 02:17   #91
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

OK, I want to run OS 4. I have done so much research on it, and it looks great. The software lined up is immaculate. But its not out so I am going to do the E bay thing and run 3.9. Question:
What do I need to buy that exists NOW to run it?
Old 18 August 2002, 03:13   #92
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Frederic:

Quote:
OK, I want to run OS 4. I have done so much research on it, and it looks great. The software lined up is immaculate. But its not out so I am going to do the E bay thing and run 3.9. Question:
What do I need to buy that exists NOW to run it?
A BlizzardPPC or CyberstormPPC and a gfx card. But you, as a New Yorker, probably already smell that this is not a good option - unless you find somebody who sells the required hardware extremely cheap.

An A1 will be $500 - it's hard to stay cheaper when updating your classic Amiga. And compared to the A1, an updated classic Amiga lacks USB, Ethernet and AGP, can take a maximum amount of 128 MB (in case of the BlizzardPPC) - which is not that much if you're running a JIT 68k emulator (as OS4 does) and it has an extremely outdated and crippled PPC CPU.
Old 18 August 2002, 04:13   #93
Unknown_K

Be nice if everybody with a 1200 goes and buys the new A1 so that 1200's on ebay would drop in price.. I just want one for AGA games
Old 18 August 2002, 06:50   #94
Akira

Quote:

An A1 will be $500 - it's hard to stay cheaper when updating your classic Amiga. And compared to the A1, an updated classic Amiga lacks USB, Ethernet and AGP, can take a maximum amount of 128 MB (in case of the BlizzardPPC) [...]and it has an extremely outdated and crippled PPC CPU.
But it has custom chips

Sorry, you should see how INVALUABLE these chips are to me. I use them for work. A lot. And Deluxe Paint is, in my working environment, an irreplaceable tool! Same goes for Videotracker, Scala and MNU≥, to name but three more.

All of a sudden the idea of the Amiga One started to appeal to me, mainly because OS4 seems to be a corker, and by all teh good things you said about it. But now it all went down in flames because teh PCI card to interface this with an A1200 is never going to appear. I was even planning already to buy an A1200 mobo from Mick for this purpose.

Amiga Inc. has managed, again, to destroy my positivism about their stuff... This will be the last time ever I fall for it.

I'm very sad
Old 18 August 2002, 09:10   #95
oldpx

Quote:
But to be honest, to run these I would rather have a seperate setup with an A1200 and a big TV screen in front of some very comfortable chairs instead of slaughtering my 1200, forcing it into the same case as another computer and wasting lots of space on my desk with another monitor.
Hmm, some monitors have more than one VGA input like my Sony G400, so a scandoubler (if it is still needed/usable with A1) and such a monitor should suffice. You can even use the same chair

Old 18 August 2002, 09:25   #96
Akira

Fucking uber monitor, Burseg! The monitor of the designer
I wish I had one of those!
Old 18 August 2002, 12:00   #97
Unknown_K

I have a sony 420GS for my game rig, that aditional VGA input on the front left side of the monitor comes in handy once and a while.
Old 19 August 2002, 02:59   #98
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Akira:

Quote:
But it has custom chips

Sorry, you should see how INVALUABLE these chips are to me. I use them for work. A lot.
Hm, I'm starting to understand your desire for backwards compatability...

Quote:
And Deluxe Paint is, in my working environment, an irreplaceable tool!
DPaint is a real loss, no doubt. But you could always run it in UAE... I know that's a bad alternative...

Quote:
Same goes for Videotracker
Isn't that some kind of demo maker on drugs? Are you using it for video related stuff or are you really doing "presentations" to be played on a local computer? You should really have a look at MediaPointRTG (see below). Additionally, the upcoming "RainBoot v4" (a former boot picture/animation tool) acts as a standalone demo-maker/multimedia tool (shareware). I'll get a beta version soon, I'll be able to answer questions regarding its functionality then.

Quote:
Scala
Years ago we were using Scala MM 300 a lot, it's a damn good piece of software. But I already have a 68k beta build of the upcoming MediaPointRTG running here, and I think you won't miss any functionality when switching from Scala (at least I don't miss any). A lite version of MediaPointRTG will be bundled with OS4.

Quote:
and MNU≥
IIRC, this one already has gfx-card support (i.e. it should work on the A1). Additionally, the sourcecodes are available, aren't they?. I don't see much of a problem here. If it helps to bring back your positivism, I even might have a look at them sources

Quote:
All of a sudden the idea of the Amiga One started to appeal to me, mainly because OS4 seems to be a corker, and by all teh good things you said about it. But now it all went down in flames because teh PCI card to interface this with an A1200 is never going to appear. I was even planning already to buy an A1200 mobo from Mick for this purpose.
Even if the PCI bridge doesn't appear, there are other solutions: Put both motherboards in one case, network them with Envoy (Ethernet, recommended) or ProNet (serial/parallel). Get a gfxcard with Video-In and connect the A1200's Video-out to the gfx card. Using some simple batch scripts you could integrate the two machines to a degree that makes you think there's just one computer in there. Should work with all applications that don't kill the multitasking and use OS function calls for keyboard/mouse inputs.

Quote:
Amiga Inc. has managed, again, to destroy my positivism about their stuff...
Really, this is not Amiga Inc.'s fault. Everybody from Eyetech, Hyperion or Amiga Inc. is pretty angry towards Escena... But there's nobody else willing to work on such a solution, so what should they do about it?
Old 19 August 2002, 15:42   #99
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I have a sony 420GS for my game rig, that aditional VGA input on the front left side of the monitor comes in handy once and a while.
I used to have a 420GS, great monitor but was damaged in moving house so I got a Sony made Dell P1110 Trinitron monitor to replace it, the dell is fantastic and has dual inputs at the back.
Not sure weather to buy relevant hardware to run my a1200 through it or stick with my 1084S!
Old 19 August 2002, 17:09   #100
Akira

Quote:
Hm, I'm starting to understand your desire for backwards compatability...
Heh, i'm a maniac, I know
Quote:
DPaint is a real loss, no doubt. But you could always run it in UAE... I know that's a bad alternative...
Mainly because of the cack mouse response. I just cant use the PC mouse, it feels liek arse. The Amiga and the Mac Classic II give me PERFECT mouse response and allow me to work so easily!
Quote:
Quote:
Same goes for Videotracker
Isn't that some kind of demo maker on drugs? Are you using it for video related stuff or are you really doing "presentations" to be played on a local computer? You should really have a look at MediaPointRTG (see below). Additionally, the upcoming "RainBoot v4" (a former boot picture/animation tool) acts as a standalone demo-maker/multimedia tool (shareware). I'll get a beta version soon, I'll be able to answer questions regarding its functionality then.
I'm using Videotracker as a live performance videotool. I setup Vidules made of effects/videos/stuff on various scenes and I trigger them live with the joystick. This gets mixed with stuff I display with the PC, created with Flash MX. The other channel is a videocamera shooting live at the place. Works EXCELLENTLY and I cannot replace this tool. I use a Flash MX pseudo-3D routine, but the vector routines in Videotracker cant be beaten. I have HUGE scrollers. Starfields. I can display ANIM5s and fuck aroudn with their colors realtime. This is unmatched by any program on any platform. And yes, it keeps a very retro feel. I like this feel, it makes it unique. Recently Old Fashioned, as a friend of mine would say No new tool can replace what this bitchy does
Quote:
Years ago we were using Scala MM 300 a lot, it's a damn good piece of software. But I already have a 68k beta build of the upcoming MediaPointRTG running here, and I think you won't miss any functionality when switching from Scala (at least I don't miss any). A lite version of MediaPointRTG will be bundled with OS4.
I'm kind of letting Scala go away now... i'm focusing with Videotracker. Scala's great but Videotracker is much more suited to my live performance needs. Now if I would interface it through MIDI like that jap guy did, that would rock.
Quote:
MNU≥
IIRC, this one already has gfx-card support (i.e. it should work on the A1). Additionally, the sourcecodes are available, aren't they?. I don't see much of a problem here. If it helps to bring back your positivism, I even might have a look at them sources
I have no clue really about cources, I think you are right. Dont worry about it. I wouldnt be able to use RTG ayway. I need the composite output. I'm connecting the Amiga to a video mixer, not directly to a projector (that would take VGA as input).
Hmm, so that would mean MediaPoint is useless to me, again Without a composite video port the Amiga becomes a useless videotoy in my setup.

Ok, I'm not moaning again about the A1, I know it won't fdo it for me! I hope you understand my severe NEED for the Custom Girls

If you think using these apps is retro, wait and see me pushing pixels with my C64 live I really want to shove up a video of a live performance on my site, but I'm having space problems right now.
AdSense AdSense