Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 August 2002, 09:06   #61
Akira

SO = Sistema Operativo
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 August 2002, 09:14   #62
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I stick up for windows because there are things on that system that are good just like every other system. When people make generalities that are untrue I stick my nose into it.

If you want to say alot of prebuilt proprietary compaq/dell computers are crap for home users I wont say a word. Just dont bash the systems in general.

I also stick up for mac users when intel people say things untrue about that system.

And I am sure there are alot of people crapping on the amiga community too (I heard a few amiga jokes from others).

Forums should be for discussing facts and opinions stated as opinions not fact. Some people base purchasing decisions on what is said in forums, some of which is untrue.

Saying that I really dont get bent out of shape by any of this, just a little bothersome when people I dont know reply to something I said with foul language or in some cases namecalling. If you cant make your point swearing isnt going to help.

Personally I would like to see another 1 or 2 hardware platforms in the home computer area just because competition breeds inovation and lower costs. That and I think there should be a low cost game/console/homecomputer like the amiga 500 I have just with newer hardware and a low price. As a hobyinst I would probably buy one for $300 or less even if its not my main machine.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:22   #63
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
See even Fredrick who hates Intel/M$ Pc's with a passion purchased one to play 1 type of game he likes. Which is another genre that doesnt cut it on a console at the moment.

The problem is, the consoles are geared for the younger crowd by the scummy marketing types. The flight sim market is tiny compared to FPS and sports, etc. So why would the software houses port a game from the PC, or build a game from scratch? The consoles can easily handle it the demnds of my faveourite flight sims. I've a good enough undertsanding of hardware spces to know that. The only drawback is that the analog joypads of consoles cannot match the high performance joysticks I have for my PC. Also, mods and updates that make flight sims even more enjoyable are impossible on consoles.
But the joystick problem is easily erased if the game companies took the genre seriously, and produced a flight stick for the PS 2 or Gamecube. Alas, that won't happen. And my love of a good flight sim has many times been tempered by crashes of OS, driver issues, .DLL problems, etc. All Windows problems. Ugh.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:31   #64
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Goddamn, I said SO many times in my last post

It's because of the damn computer course SO acutally = Sistema Operacional. (I bet in spanish is Sistema Operativo ), and we ALWAYS use SO there. Sometimes I say OS there, and people goes like "WHAT?"

I don't know, the good things I've seen in Windows, I also saw in other OSes, but I've seen LOTS of bad things on Windows too, more than in any other OS.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:36   #65
Unknown_K

The only people who do any kind of tight code for OS and aplications anymore are the people who do closed proprietary systems with limited and usually non upgradable resources. Embedded controllers (something I have done), cell phones, pda's, microwave ovens that kind of stuff. All the major OS's like Linux, windows, mac os , osx, etc are bloated beyond belief because they are built upon high end programming languages not optimized specifically for hardware because they hardware is variable and there are multiple layers between the hardware and the app thats running on it (to protect system integrity etc).

If you look at the c64, 128, amiga's etc you will probably notice that people took many years to sqeeze out all they could from those system and I am sure people to this day are still stretching the hardware of the stock machines. The time constraints of getting new software out these days to stay profitable and the fact that you can patch your software code (unlike consoles where what you ship is what customers are stuck with) makes for sloppy code. We also have to factor in that the days of 1 or 2 people doing the entire code for major commericial games/apps is long gone. You are working with a group of programmers some of who are gods and some suck ass, and all this code they make just slapped together and shipped out the door. Companies also count of the fact that the target system for their software will be x amount faster/more HD space/more memory then what they are using or is available during development.

So yea systems with frozen architecture thats well documented and only does 1 aplication at a time and will be around for 3+ years (talking about consoles) are the best platform to work on and have good fast optimised and reliable code on.

It just so happens AoK (Age of Empires 2 - Age of kings with The Conquerors addon)

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/aoeiix/index.shtml

is only available for the PC and since I love that game in online multiplayer mode the PC is the system I have to use to play it (yes even with the dreaded keyboard and all the hotkeys I need)

Like I said I have a few consoles with 100's of games i like to play on them.

I dont see why people cant use consoles and pc's for gaming. hell ever see the flaming going on between the xbox, gamecube, ps2 on console boards?

To me a game is like just another app, once I find the app I want to use I make sure I have the system I need to use it on, and I try to use the best OS available/compatible with those needs.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:43   #66
Akira

Quote:
Saying that I really dont get bent out of shape by any of this, just a little bothersome when people I dont know reply to something I said with foul language or in some cases namecalling. If you cant make your point swearing isnt going to help.
Hey blame my mom, she taught me to swear. You should hear me talking . I behave quite a bit in the EAB! I just called you wee bit names after you got miffed at me.

Do share those Amiga Jokes :P

Again:

*smooch*

Last edited by Akira; 14 August 2017 at 21:16.
Old 16 August 2002, 15:44   #67
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

The problem of all you people in this discussion is that you assume (or actually are convinced of) that there are new games which are good and worth playing. Fatal misconception :P If you'd all just admit to yourself that all games made later than 1996 are crap anyway, you wouldn't have such problems
Old 16 August 2002, 16:17   #68
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
RTS and FPS games are where the PC is better equipped for the task. Basically anything where a keyboard and mouse cant be replaced with a game controller easily.
I recall the Atari Jaguar controllers with 12 programable buttons being very easy to use and much better to play doom with than on my pc with a keyboard.
Does anyone remember the video touchpad for the atari 2600?
A keyboard can always be replaced, and whylst I agree that game s like Unreal, Quake, Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein could never really work on a console (half-life on PS2 is crap!) there are many games where consoles out perform PCs, not because consoles have more power but because of more direct access to hardware ect, however with the introduction of the xbox many people are begining to see that consoles are just cheep non upgradable PCs that only play games.

Go out and buy a powerfull PC (I now run a dual P4 @ 4.4ghz) which will last for many years and whoop the ass off any console on the planet.
Old 16 August 2002, 16:54   #69
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

Ha! I bet your dual P4 will look & be made obsolete in 12-18months!!
That's part of the PC's game-development problems. Rather than even try to make use of what they have,they whack a "needs DirectX 40024 update+Geforce 64000+P4.4, 20Gig install" on the box.
Much less, that in the old days of Amiga's,C64's etc. teams or individuals had to code things themselves & not use a Quake engine or 3D API.

As for the points earlier about CBM only devoting money towards Amiga R&D & not having enough left for marketing-LOL!!
Corporate jets & boardroom lunches for idiotic men-in-suits who didn't even know what the Amiga was,is a more likely scenario!

I'd say The only way to revive Amiga development is to get a PS2 go back in time & slip it into the Amiga R & D labs along with Sony's marketing arm to make sure CBM's didn't stuff it up again!
Old 16 August 2002, 20:28   #70
jmmijo

@Mick_AKA, what mobo did you use for your Xeon rig? Was it an Intel board or one from Tyan or SuperMicro perhaps?

That's really an expensive setup if you only play games on it. Especially since there are no games, yet that support SMP unless of course there is something on the *nix side of things
Old 16 August 2002, 21:03   #71
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick_AKA

Go out and buy a powerfull PC (I now run a dual P4 @ 4.4ghz) which will last for many years and whoop the ass off any console on the planet.
:eek What are you, royalty or something? Or a premiership footballer? :eek Those setups cost a packet!
Old 16 August 2002, 21:08   #72
Paul
RIP Friends

WHAT!!! DID I READ THAT RIGHT :eek :eek
Old 16 August 2002, 23:00   #73
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Must be one of those AlienWare rigs....
Old 16 August 2002, 23:15   #74
Unknown_K

Could be a home built job or a Dell computer never know.

at least the falcon flight sims use dual processors, so does quake 3 I think
Old 16 August 2002, 23:36   #75
jmmijo

Didn't know the Falcon series supports SMP

As for Quake 3, I believe it's the *nix server build that supports SMP and not the standard home client, but I could be wrong so I'll check it out
Old 16 August 2002, 23:41   #76
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
As for the points earlier about CBM only devoting money towards Amiga R&D & not having enough left for marketing-LOL!!
Corporate jets & boardroom lunches for idiotic men-in-suits who didn't even know what the Amiga was,is a more likely scenario!
Exactly. I asked one of those sleazeballs once (at an Amiga show) why they didn't do more advertising and promotion of the Amiga (in the US) and his response made me sick: "If the machine is good, people will find out about it."
Old 16 August 2002, 23:44   #77
Unknown_K

Well very few games directly support it, doesnt matter much to me yet since only SMP machine I have is a dual ppro overdrive intel board (2x 333 overdrives). Thats what I use for a server, and its too old for a game machine . I have an xp1500 for games
Old 17 August 2002, 00:47   #78
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Lets just say its one of the perks of working for a company that makes SMP motherboards, I got the processors trade price and the board for free! board is a MikroPower SL2, we also make boards that take up to 8 pentium 3 processors, but have not moved up to making these for P4 chips.
Its all housed in a nice lean-li brushed alluminium case and runs through a 21" dell trinitron monitor.
I cant say I have ever had problems running games on this system although the dual processor support in Win XP Pro is poor to say the least! Always tempted at start up to press my down arrow and boot linux instead (but dont as im running Mandrake 8 which is not fantastic by a long shot)

Granted this system is pointless for running games, I am a freelance graphic designer and the system is mainly used for running stuff like TrueSpace, 3dsmax, Lightwave, 3dmenow, Poser 4 Pro Pack and a shit load of other stuff so power is required.
Even with a gig of DDR ram i get low memory warnings in lightwave!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	citgar2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3330  
Old 17 August 2002, 00:56   #79
jmmijo

Ah yes, it's good to be in the industry for sure isn't it

I think I mentioned to you that 1GB wasn't enough for use with Lightwave in another thread so I won't waste my time again

So is the company you work for going to put out any Itanium boards or have they already
Old 17 August 2002, 01:16   #80
Unknown_K

A dual AMD hammer board should be interesting next year.
AdSense AdSense