I am glad to be here
at dis here joint,
and to all lemme make this very clear
Jmmijo-
you're a ho.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 September 2002, 18:28   #182
IanS

The A1 may well be an Amiga by name and name only... but how do we know that OS4 will have anything in common with the Amiga other than looks? Try hard enough and you can make Windows look like Workbench, but looks can be so deceptive. Take me... I may look old, grey and balding... but I'm only 21!!

Ok, so I lied. But I was 21 ONCE, honest.
Old 09 September 2002, 23:13   #183
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
Try hard enough and you can make Windows look like Workbench, but looks can be so deceptive.
Hmm...I have yet to see this. Show me a Windows desktop that looks like Workbench...I need to see this. Even if you do, it's just like when W95 was released to look like Mac/Amiga, but not function in any way like those desktops.

Wanna really impress me? Make Windows look like some of the Workbench pics that were posted here some time back. If they're gone, Aminet is loaded with Workbench grabs that are lovely. Or best yet, make it look like Pegasos! Windows can't even manage the look; the functionality is way out of their league.
Old 10 September 2002, 02:27   #184
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
There are a bunch of shareware themes that give Windows the look of say a Sun running CDE or even a classic Mac OS. As well as some themes from other GUIs. I can't recall the names at the moment.
Old 10 September 2002, 06:57   #185
Akira

You could make it LOOK like Amiga OS, Pegasos, QNX or whatever, with Litestep+WindowBlinds.

BUT

It would still function as Windows. So it'd still be shite And more unstable, thanks to LItestep being poop and windowBlinds hogging memory
Old 10 September 2002, 10:49   #186
IanS

Twistin:

As has already been mentioned, making windoze look like another OS is easy. Windowblinds and Litestep being but two. If you type in something along the lines of "windows shell themes" into google, you'll find loads of programs and themes. Make it look like BeOS, AmigaOS, OSX, OS9, Next or anything else you can think of.

At no point though did I say that simply looking like Amiga Workbench made Windows any better. We all know it's still relatively slow and bloated. I was just pointing out that OS4 may LOOK like a updated workbench... but it may also be big and slow too. Everybody is assuming we'll get something as lean and fast as the classic OS... but that is a dangerous assumption. We'll have to wait and see.

Besides, there is already a small, fast, memory efficient OS on PPC... look at QNX. I still doubt very much that a new OS running on standard PPC harware is going to make any great headway in to the PC/Mac markets.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:08   #187
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
If somebody makes a killer app for the A1 people will buy it. If that doesnt happen it will be a tool for a few geeks that like to use "different" hardware. I am sure somebody will port linux to the A1 after they get done porting it to every other device with a cpu and some memory.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:31   #188
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
If somebody makes a killer app for the A1 people will buy it. If that doesnt happen it will be a tool for a few geeks that like to use "different" hardware. I am sure somebody will port linux to the A1 after they get done porting it to every other device with a cpu and some memory.
MediapointRTG
Old 10 September 2002, 13:06   #189
IanS

What packages will Mediapoint RTG be competing against on the PC/Mac? Will it be competetive on price, features and performance? (let's hope so). Unfortunately, if something can be done on an A1, it can be done faster on an Apple with dual G4s running at 1.1 ghz. Even the iMac uses G4s now

Still, it may not all be doom and gloom. Oh yeah... they were both good games!
Old 10 September 2002, 13:47   #190
Pyromania

Quote:
What packages will Mediapoint RTG be competing against on the PC/Mac? Will it be competetive on price, features and performance? (let's hope so). Unfortunately, if something can be done on an A1, it can be done faster on an Apple with dual G4s running at 1.1 ghz. Even the iMac uses G4s now

Still, it may not all be doom and gloom. Oh yeah... they were both good games!
The PC version of Scala kicks butt, but the Mac has nothing like Amiga Scala or Mediapoint.
Old 10 September 2002, 15:09   #191
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yes, but one of the things that made being an Amiga user so great back in the day was that you'd load up a game, and people would drool because no other home machines delivered games that looked and sounded and played that good. Then we had cartoons like Eric Schwartz anims. And acid-trip scene demos, and mods and all sorts of kick-ass multimedia stuff that was exclusive (for the most part) to the Amiga. Other computers of the day tried to mock these things, but fell on their duff.

So what could the Amiga do in 2002 that will get that kind of reaction again? Is there anything left to do? The only territory that hasn't been tapped into is the OS being efficient, robust and stable. And that's not the kind of feature that makes people stop what they're doing to get another look, drop their jaws open and go "WOW!"

(sigh)

See? I can be doom and gloom, too.
Old 10 September 2002, 19:46   #192
Akira

QNX is poop, by the way. At least the RTOS for x86.
Awful performance, I can barely notice it's microkernel, it ran like ARSE in my P133.

The Windows of POSSIX systems
Old 10 September 2002, 19:58   #193
LUKas007

Well... that's what they call a brainstorm 190 replies so far...
Anyway, as I said Amiga's return to the todays reality will be at least problematic. What is more the future Amiga would be only Amiga by name...
IMO the main possible advantage might be AmigaOS but of course there must be software like wordprocessors, dtp, gfx plus games which are available on consoles and PC.
Old 10 September 2002, 20:09   #194
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Yes, I would like to see a lineup of AmigaOne tools, apps, games, etc.
Old 11 September 2002, 10:44   #195
IanS

QNX is poop? Whilst I've only tinkered briefly with it, I'd have to say that with decent driver and application support, I think it could be good. A P133 isn't really the best platform to test any modern OS on these days... most PDAs have faster processors!. How the world has progressed in such a short time eh? A pocket computer with more power than my miggy
Old 11 September 2002, 10:57   #196
oldpx

Quote:
A pocket computer with more power than my miggy
But it doesn't run Turrican

Old 11 September 2002, 11:02   #197
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

But the GBA can, if I heard correctly, Turrican is being ported to it, Burseg.
Old 11 September 2002, 13:47   #198
IanS

Turrican is a no no... so far, but I guess somebody might eventually turn their attention to it. You can get Lemmings for Palm OS though (not sure about Pocket PC machines). I'd like to see Worms ported. Is that on any of the GBA or any PDAs?

206mhz strongarm on a PDA... makes me cringe. My poor little Miggy only has 50Mhz 030
Old 11 September 2002, 18:16   #199
Akira

Quote:
A P133 isn't really the best platform to test any modern OS on these days...
Yes it is.
Windows98 (*koff*puke*spit*koff*) runs great on it.
SuSE Linux runs great on it
QNX chugs more memory than Windows! The fact it is that it's MICROKERNEL so it should be made for absolute great performance in limited environments. But it isn't! They require a P3-650! HAHAHA bollocks.
QNX4 IS excellent, but the RTOS is completely fucked up.

Turrican on the GBA? hmm INTERESTING

BTW anybody has a cheap PocketPC device to sell? I need to develop applications for it
Old 12 September 2002, 06:08   #200
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I don't neeed apps on it. Make games for it, beoocghhhh.
AdSense AdSense