English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 April 2011, 14:43   #21
Hewitson

I did (and still do) own one, which I use on a regular basis to this day. It seems you didn't as there's no settings to play around with, you simply tell Mega-Em what you want to emulate and run the game.

It is rare for the emulation not to work well, although theres the occasional title which it doesn't get along with.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 April 2011, 20:53   #22
laffer
Zone Friend

Added a couple more, a Larry 3 in-game tune and Space Quest 3 & 4 opening music.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:39   #23
switchblade

Amazing comparisons, laffer!

I grew up with Sound Blaster for my old DOS games, and I have never known about the MT-32 until a few years ago; haven't even heard one in action until just now! I must admit, it is one hell of a massive improvement over that garbly FM Synthesis that the Adlib was putting out. It's kind of funny how I used to own a Genesis/Megadrive and a Super Nintendo, and some of the games on those systems had better audio quality than nearly all of my DOS games with Adlib/Sound Blaster.

That said, however, even the MT-32 has its drawbacks, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few games had tunes that sounded even worse than its Adlib counterpart.

EDIT: I do have a few suggestions. Can you try recording the Wing Commander games on MT-32? Would love to see how that sounds like.

Last edited by switchblade; 14 April 2011 at 10:55.
Old 14 April 2011, 22:22   #24
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you want to see a game that sounds worse in MT-32 mode over Adlib check out the original Dune game. It was composed and orchestrated for the Adlib Gold. Sadly, even with OPL 3 in the SBPro and the SB16, you can only get the soundtrack of Dune in it's best format on the fairly uncommon Adlib Gold card. I would love to have one of these cards...
Old 14 April 2011, 22:26   #25
laffer
Zone Friend

Just made a little tutorial video on how to connect and set up an MT-32... not that I think this will be very useful for anyone here, but it might be interesting to see just how it works if one doesn't already have one and has never otherwise seen it -

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
EDIT: I do have a few suggestions. Can you try recording the Wing Commander games on MT-32? Would love to see how that sounds like.
Thanks! About Wing Commander games, there are already MT32 videos by other people on Youtube.

Here's one -

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 April 2011, 13:41   #26
Calabazam

Very interesting thread!
Is the Rolant MT32 the big black box of old? How do you hook this on your vintage PC? Is there a relationship with the add-on boards that can be connected to the internal port of some soundcards like the SB16?

Could you test Ultima VII by the way?

Last edited by Calabazam; 16 April 2011 at 14:06.
Old 16 April 2011, 14:11   #27
Bloodwych

Interesting to hear the differences! Also how the music is meant to sound.

I remember when I finally got around to playing some old DOS games on my PC, I was using a soundblaster Live! at the time. It was the last creative card with native DOS support for midi soundfonts.

Using the soundfont DOS driver, I ran similar games using massive midi soundfont banks that replaced general midi. The sound was just incredible! But it was kind of cheating and not the way it was meant to sound, as the midi wave files for each instrument were huge and of better quality.
Old 16 April 2011, 14:40   #28
laffer
Zone Friend

By the way, in the MT-32 tutorial video I linked in my last post, I filmed the MT-32 and how to connect it to a modern PC... it's not just text.

You get a pretty good look at the MT-32 in that video, at the end (at 5:50) you can see how exactly it looks when running a game, I run Police Quest 2 and film the MT-32 while it's playing.

Quote:
Could you test Ultima VII by the way?
This is one of those huge classics I never got around to playing much at all... could you send me savegames or something allowing me access to locations with nice musical scores?

Last edited by laffer; 16 April 2011 at 21:58.
Old 18 April 2011, 07:40   #29
Myriel

You should try gods. It has a fantastic soundtrack.
Old 18 April 2011, 17:58   #30
laffer
Zone Friend

I tried Gods, I think this will sound better with the LAPC-1/CM-32L... the in-game sound effects were pretty bad using the MT-32.

Recorded two Willy Beamish in-game tunes, I love how this game sounds when using the MT-32 -

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lindberg View Post
For European games i suggest using LAPC-I/CM-32L... MT-32 has lots of bugs and is useful for early USA games mostly. The LAPC-I and CM-32L will work better , no "buffer overflow" and such
Yes, I'd love to have one of those as well.

However, Dosbox SVN builds fix the buffer overflow issue in most cases by including a new option you can put in the config file, delaysysex.

Even without an SVN build, it is most often fixed by decreasing CPU cycles while the game is loading up.

Also - I love the MT-32 display panel Too bad that's missing on the CM-32L.

Last edited by laffer; 18 April 2011 at 18:25.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:21   #31
s2325
Zone Friend

Lotus with Roland: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 June 2011, 10:57   #32
Hewitson

Sounds pretty crappy compared to the Amiga version..
AdSense AdSense