English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 April 2011, 04:57   #1
CritAnime

Insuring my retro game collection.

This might not be in the right area, so feel free to move if required.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt they needed to insure their collection? I am just starting to get to the stage where if anything happened to it then I would cry.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 April 2011, 09:37   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@CritAnime

well when choosing a house insurance policy I had to ensure that single items with a value over 1000 were covered. This increased my premium a little but not that much and it does give a little safe feeling should the house fall over while I am out.

I will say at the end of the day its just a load of old computers, while I have a tangible hold on a few of them, in the worse case scenario, I would shrug and start again.

I have at least one of every Amiga Model, with the exception of the Towers, as I really don't have any liking for them. I am short only an A3000, but I am hoping to get one o these this year.

The problem is, how do you fill in the insurance form to explain collectible vintage computing?... to be honest, I am not that smart, so I contacted the insurance company and had to send in a list, with pictures and expected replacement costs...

yeah.... still working on that =)
Old 06 April 2011, 10:03   #3
CritAnime

That's what I figured. we are insured through the Halifax and I know we are covered upto 2000 per item. but when it came to my collection it stumped them a bit. I know it's only plastic and chips but I would be still gutted if I lost them. They suggested sending in a list of everything too.
Old 06 April 2011, 10:29   #4
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Take Pictures of everything, maybe print out ebay auctions of similar consoles or computers you have to suggest values and keep an up to date list of your games on a site like Moby Games or even just in a spread sheet.
Old 06 April 2011, 11:32   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Take Pictures of everything, maybe print out ebay auctions of similar consoles or computers you have to suggest values and keep an up to date list of your games on a site like Moby Games or even just in a spread sheet.

Thats a great idea my friend, although.... this spread sheet would need to be kept under wifie radar!
Old 06 April 2011, 13:02   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Thats a great idea my friend, although.... this spread sheet would need to be kept under wifie radar!
I done a spreadsheet recently - If Mrs Fitz ever sees that they'll all be on eBay and she'll be off to Cuba

Oh and I'll probably be single
Old 06 April 2011, 13:14   #7
Amiga Forever

Big grin

Quote:
If Mrs Fitz ever sees that they'll all be on eBay and she'll be off to Cuba
LOL
Old 06 April 2011, 22:18   #8
Mr B

With collections like Zetr0's, you might be in trouble anyway, but the rest of us should simply tell the lady of the house "it's either this, or a saltwater aquarium!"
Your going to run in to pricetags around 5 000 euro and climbing for a new 375-450L tub. And thats the very least you would start with, ofcourse. On top of that you will have a new electricity bill. Count on a tank of that size to consume 0.2-0.5kw/h, 24/7. (Thats after averaging out the lighting on the whole cycle)

One way or another, you CAN make the Amiga collection sound cheap.
B!
Old 06 April 2011, 23:08   #9
CritAnime

Mrs critanime doesn't care very much what I buy as long as the bills are paid. The only time she complained was when I bought a sharp fami twin.
AdSense AdSense