English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2011, 15:39   #161
gilgamesh
Linux snob

There's an interesting artical at Ars.
They say that piracy is a "signal of unmet consumer demand", and that a change of the price stucture it would make sense. Enforcing copyright laws has shown no results so far.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...e-solution.ars
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2011, 15:42   #162
Hewitson

I don't believe a change in the pricing structure would change a thing.

Maybe before the internet and BBS's it would have, but why bother going out to buy a game when you can download it without leaving your chair?
Old 15 March 2011, 16:33   #163
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
... but why bother going out to buy a game when you can download it without leaving your chair?

There was a time i tought also like that, but i was arround 14-15 then...

If everyone would think like you, no one would buy games, ---> no one would make games...
Old 15 March 2011, 16:44   #164
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I don't believe a change in the pricing structure would change a thing.

Maybe before the internet and BBS's it would have, but why bother going out to buy a game when you can download it without leaving your chair?
Steam?
Old 15 March 2011, 17:03   #165
gilgamesh
Linux snob

http://www.gog.com/ ?
Old 15 March 2011, 18:19   #166
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Steam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
No, he means for free..
Old 15 March 2011, 19:18   #167
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I know, but you don't have to go out to buy games.
(GOG even tries not to tease its costumers with DRM rubbish.)
Old 15 March 2011, 20:56   #168
Lord Riton

Quote:
I know, but you don't have to go out to buy games.
(GOG even tries not to tease its costumers with DRM rubbish.)
damm you ! because of you i'm tempted to buy that : http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might...mited_edition/
Old 15 March 2011, 23:16   #169
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Do it. M&M rocks. I played Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen (bought legally btw). You can combine the two, jumping from one to the next. It's really funny.

If everyone played old games, no one would play new games, ---> no one would make games...
Old 15 March 2011, 23:31   #170
TCD

Quote:
If everyone played old games, no one would play new games, ---> no one would make games...
*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

Old 11 February 2013, 15:55   #171
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
2.) I wouldn't be too confident about how little people use pirated games as a test version before they buy the game. Also I don't think that the statement 'people who accept/use pirated software wouldn't have bought the original anyway' is that far off. Just saying that piracy = lost sales might not be 100% true.
Your completely right on that one.... Its not far off In fact, we all use that same statement today..

I often wonder despite piracy and all, even on the Amiga, why when it the thud. we all have a different "more up tight" view on piracy on the Amiga, but fast forward to today, and that same assumption is: "more loosey"

I'm not saying nothing is being done.. its just today, we see developers are kind of "trying this and that", but are more of an open market, where they are just accepting it "as is" compared to the Amiga.

maybe its just a bigger hole thats been dug.. and they finally are realising, even though they still try.

Or maybe its just coz their is too much of it now days. you cannot control it any more.

It seems. the small footprint of this on the Amiga/Commodore days, they were at least "having a lid on the situation" ..... totally unaware that the lid will burst. Since Commodore actually believed/like any company would today for that matter, of controlling it.

Basically Commodore was shooting blank bullets.

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 11 February 2013 at 16:31.
Old 11 February 2013, 18:38   #172
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
*cough*

Nah really, this picture with this guy bearing the motto "Retro Gaming is killing the industry" is the worse bullshit ever.

This makes the guys (managers and all) working in it to NEVER question themselves (why have we failed ? Why is the game not selling like little buns ?)

I had a chat many weeks ago with the ex ocean member i'm friend with, and he told me that his boss (the guy behind croisiere pour un c.a.d.a.v.r.e) catched the big head.........

Here it is, and where we are..... they are not listening to players, they think they have the almight on how to succeed..... Problem, reality is catching up them badly.....

Piracy is the consequence of games sold full price, that have nothing special...... like any other product, you need to make users wanting to buy out the product, and that's the other flaw.

That's for the actual game market. Publishers have mis-educated their public, by only doing strategy games, FPS, and MMO. Video Games have never been that much poor. Back in the day we had arcade, platform, adventure, strategy, minds games.

We have not the choice, if you want arcade or platform, they force you to buy a console, and if you want FPS, strategy, MMO, buy a PC.

That's why to me all this leads to "piracy". "Piracy" in itself is wrong regarding the law, but looks 60 or 70 euros for a 2 or 3 hours game
Old 11 February 2013, 18:56   #173
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
That's for the actual game market. Publishers have mis-educated their public, by only doing strategy games, FPS, and MMO. Video Games have never been that much poor. Back in the day we had arcade, platform, adventure, strategy, minds games.
Actually it's the other way around... those who spend money only bought that kind of games (and with a big $$$ grin for producers they love WOW-esque subscription games). The flood of ever samish FPS around 2005 finally woke me up The 'big' gaming market was trapped with very tight restrictions as to what would be a 'successful' game (keeping in mind that FIFA and PES work too). Of course there still are exceptions, but the majority of games especially for PC is just another clone of a well established genre known to sell.

I'm not sure if that has an actual influence on piracy. In my case it just meant a general decrease of time spent playing games. At least new games that is and in turn also spending money on them. After some time I discovered that there are still niche markets for adventures and other classic genres. That's where my money wents

Just don't buy games that you feel are merely average. If you should 'pirate' them instead is another question and I think there are better ways to spend your time than to play mediocre games
Old 11 February 2013, 19:20   #174
daro2096

What finally killed off the Amiga?

Sony Playstation.

This is just my opinion.
Old 11 February 2013, 19:27   #175
TCD

Pssst... Commodore did, but please don't tell anyone
Old 11 February 2013, 19:37   #176
Zoltar

Some interesting points made here in the thread.

Piracy certainly didn't kill the Amiga. The possibility of getting software either for free, or very cheaply, certainly influenced some people's buying decision when it came getting a games machine. I have friends and family members that did that and I might have even helped sway their opinion. Some years ago, my older sister bought her young son a Playstation in preference over a Nintendo 64 specifically because, at the time, she could get games for 5 each.

I think we must attribute some of the sales of that machine down to the availability of cheap pirated software. And, I would say the same for the Amiga.

That certainly didn't help the game publishers and, in the above example, I think it might not have helped Sony either, in the long run, as they didn't get their cut of the income from the pirated games these people were playing but C='s situation was slightly different because they made dollars purely on selling hardware.

The main reason the Amiga died its death, as a market for selling games in, was the fact the hardware itself was left behind. I think we all know this. The release of the Playstation, perhaps more than any other rival's machine was, I think, the single most devastating blow that killed Amiga games market stone dead. Even if the A1200 had maybe a 28mhz CPU and some Fast RAM as standard (as I think it should have) it wouldn't have made that much difference in the end as the Japanese 32 bit machines offered so much more than would ever be possible even on the most expensive 68060 based machine for considerably less initial outlay.

AGA, whilst AAA would have been so much better, wasn't bad, for the time. C= really needed to have something like Hombre ready in about 1994/5 to have had a hope of competing. It's just a pity that by that time, they'd ran out of money. I'm sadly of the opinion that the Amiga's worst enemy, always was Commodore Business Machines.

The piracy aspect is interesting here too though. Remember that, when the Playstation was released, cheap CD burners didn't exist and so, it was for a time, an almost perfect marketplace for the publishers where everybody had no choice but to buy legitimate copies. And, if you're a company that makes games, which machine would you develop for?

Now, a question for everybody: If the Amiga games could have been ROM cartridge based instead of floppy disk, do you think it would have made much of a difference? There are a lot of advantages to using ROM carts besides copy protection, speed and durability would be the main ones that spring to my mind but I think C= may have overlooked something in not giving the Amiga a cartridge port.

What say you?

SJ
Old 11 February 2013, 19:41   #177
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
AGA, whilst AAA would have been so much better, wasn't bad, for the time. C= really needed to have something like Hombre ready in about 1994/5 to have had a hope of competing. It's just a pity that by that time, they'd ran out of money. I'm sadly of the opinion that the Amiga's worst enemy, always was Commodore Business Machines.
Amen
Old 11 February 2013, 19:43   #178
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Indeed, they should tried to make games o cartridges, but this never happened unfortunately...
Old 04 March 2013, 23:44   #179
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
There was a time i tought also like that, but i was arround 14-15 then...

If everyone would think like you, no one would buy games, ---> no one would make games...
But look at the world today we live in...

Isn't this the same world we knew back then true today ?, (only on a much larger scale) ?

The old issue is "Well, I don't mind you pirating my stuff, but if you like it, buy it"

This thing is getting old....... True though I believe this, but how many people in the "real world" would go out and buy it ? ok, maybe half of then, bit defiantly not all. Articles come back a year later and say "oh, piracy is down, look at this." but just wait, and piracy will be back up in a year "because" a new protection has now been cracked...

Its a roller-coaster... and no one can get off.

Having said that, its also true for developers too ...... no nothing will sell, but hey.. you gotta take the bad, with the good .... Hollywood is trying it in the movie industry, and its failing... Right now, i'm watching Netflix outside U.S for instance
Old 04 March 2013, 23:59   #180
gilgamesh
Linux snob

They found the magic bullet that will kill piracy (along the second hand market and everything that is evil) which is cloud based gaming and app stores.
AdSense AdSense