English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 March 2011, 23:33   #81
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I guess Sensi is the normal case. Only that most people bought more than ten games.

If somebody had told me: You can't copy games on the Amiga, I wouldn't have bought one.
(And I was the frst one I knew of who had an Amiga, so this was purely theoretical at that time.)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 March 2011, 00:04   #82
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm kind of ambivalent about it all now.

On the Nintendo Wii, i'll merrily copy anything and everything..... however, it hardly gets played.

On the PS3 I pirate nothing and buy everthing and it gets played regularly.

Times change, attitudes change.
Old 08 March 2011, 00:07   #83
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
'Disposable income' changes as well
Old 08 March 2011, 00:21   #84
Eclipse
Turpentine

That's the odd thing.
I owned maybe 4 original games back in the day, those being the ones that were bundled with my A600.
I find now that I'm an ebay/marketplace troll looking for only originals. It's quite weird really.

Something to consider in the piracy/copyright argument:
If you never intended to buy a game (lack of money or just a crap game etc.) and you get a pirated copy, what loss has the maker made?
Old 08 March 2011, 00:26   #85
Sektor 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's true! I mean, I know this isn't computer-related, but looking at my CD collection right now I have all originals and no copies, no mp3 CDs or anything like that... but I can afford to do that kind of thing now... the only time I've ever downloaded anything like that is if somethings out of print or hard to find... and I do value it all a lot more as a result... I mean with that kind of thing, you're not just paying for the content, you're paying for the packaging as well.
Old 08 March 2011, 00:33   #86
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yes, but that doesn't quite apply to me.

During my days with Amiga, I could afford to buy games, and regularly did, and no they were not bought to be cracked either.

I could afford to buy games on the Wii, but it doesn't garner the same respect from me as some of the stuff on the PS3.

To be brutally honest, most of the stuff on the Wii is absolute crap that can only be enjoyed when you're pissed with mates or family.

Disposable Income has helped change things, as lets face it, not many 30-40 year olds had games computers or consoles 20 years ago, but the kids who had that 20 years ago, are still into it now.
Old 08 March 2011, 01:33   #87
Mick

Quote:
I could afford to buy games on the Wii, but it doesn't garner the same respect from me as some of the stuff on the PS3.
Publishers really need to price games more realistically instead of taking it for granted that they can ask 40 RRP for any new game no matter how poor it may be, I'm no sales expert but I know that if nobody is buying your product it's a good sign that your asking price is too high, the thing with software is that if nobody thinks your product is worth it they can just copy it instead of going without.

It's the easiest thing in the world for publishers to blame piracy when a game sells poorly, rather than damaging their own reputation by admitting their game sucked and just wasn't worth it.
Old 08 March 2011, 10:58   #88
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Piracy has always been a good excuse for exaggerated prices.
We have to sell this game for x just to break even. You know, all that piracy.

And nobody can tell whether the numbers are correct.
Old 08 March 2011, 12:13   #89
humble worm

Quote:
...law and purchasing power too. I would have had many originals back then if they only were within reach. The "only" original I had was Chaos Engine and it was soooo cool (the box, manual, the cards with characters). I thought I was going to explode when it was given to me
Old 08 March 2011, 15:11   #90
deicidal
Registered Insane

Yet another angle, I know of one case where the dev team gave it to the crackers as the theory was if it was going to get cracked mite as well be done by a mate just dont release it before the official release date.
Old 08 March 2011, 15:12   #91
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Yet another angle, I know of one case where the dev team gave it to the crackers as the theory was if it was going to get cracked mite as well be done by a mate just dont release it before the official release date.
I did that as well, except I knew the group I gave the game too wouldn't be able to do it 100%.... and they didn't dissapoint!
Old 08 March 2011, 15:32   #92
deicidal
Registered Insane

As it happens in this case I have a feeling that another group also managed to get an early copy and released it any way (and not 100%).
Old 08 March 2011, 16:04   #93
Siggy999

When I got my Amiga, I had very limited funds and the machine itself cost me 1000 Aus $. I was doing my first year in the Army - in the signals corps, looking at another 1/2 year on a trainee pay.
My instructor gave me a couple of games the day I bought it, a return favor for when we both had c64s.
I was lucky in that the computer store in town had no problem with loading up a game and letting you play it before you bought it, and with the income to only buy a game every few months, this was great.
When they changed owners and policy - I would frequently ask around to see if someone had grabbed a copy to try it out. Nothing sucks more than blowing a 2 month game budget on a total lemon.
Old 08 March 2011, 17:23   #94
BrooksterMax

As I was a poor teenager that was the only reason I dabbled in piracy in the school playground. I mean 50p per disk (provide your own) for games was the only way to go - no retailer could compete with that Pocket money was only small amounts back then for me. No chance of buying a full price original game except for birthdays and christmas.

Today as an adult with that all important disposable income (for as long as I keep my current job!) I am quite happy to go out and buy shiny new original software.

Similar situation for many having read previous posts.
Old 08 March 2011, 18:41   #95
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
As I was a poor teenager that was the only reason I dabbled in piracy in the school playground. I mean 50p per disk (provide your own) for games was the only way to go - no retailer could compete with that Pocket money was only small amounts back then for me.
Same here. Original games were so incredibly expensive (and tagged as 'luxury items') they didn't even bother to import them, it was hard to find them. Even the official Commodore dealers here actually promoted copying, and of course many, many Amigas were sold due to massive availability of cheap game copies.
I recall Lionheart's developers blaming piracy for their decision to abandon the Amiga. I wonder if other developers felt this way. Ultimately, it is obvious that Commodore screwed up. I'm just not sure to what extent.
Old 08 March 2011, 21:19   #96
mfletcher
Bawbag.

I was reading "Freax: The History of the Demoscene" and there was anecdote about how Psygnosis would intentionally leak some of their games before the official release. The leak would be buggy and/or incomplete.

Crackers would crack the game and get distributed. Then Psygnosis would release the correct version. Because there was some unwritten rule that crackers dont re-crack a game, it encouraged people to go out and buy the actual game.

Im just wondering how much truth there was to that anecdote. @Galahad, can you provide any insight?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 08 March 2011, 21:33   #97
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
I was reading "Freax: The History of the Demoscene" and there was anecdote about how Psygnosis would intentionally leak some of their games before the official release. The leak would be buggy and/or incomplete.

Crackers would crack the game and get distributed. Then Psygnosis would release the correct version. Because there was some unwritten rule that crackers dont re-crack a game, it encouraged people to go out and buy the actual game.

Im just wondering how much truth there was to that anecdote. @Galahad, can you provide any insight?

Thanks!

Mark
Its certainly possible it happened with some games, but I would doubt Psygnosis were responsible for it as a lot of their games were not theirs to distribute, they were the publisher for over 70% of the games they released.

Its certainly correct that some titles were leaked, but not directly from software companies.

ADS of Mayhem/Quartex/Fairlight knew someone at one of the Amiga Magazines, and he got a few releases from whichever mag it was.
Old 08 March 2011, 21:55   #98
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
I seem to remember it took Angels 3 releases to get shadow of the beast 2 right. I dont remember any such rule it just hurt your reputation loads if you kept on releasing duffs.
Old 08 March 2011, 21:58   #99
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Speaking of guerilla marketing...
Old 09 March 2011, 00:13   #100
Lord Riton

Psygnosis, i loved them ! really i think they had probably the highest averadge quality of all their games.

I miss them..

I remember years agoo, when i played Asheron's call 2 (some mmorpg befor WoW), i had a char named "Psygnosis"
AdSense AdSense