English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2002, 08:36   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Unhappy Next 2D game to be 3D ....

We had Monkey Island, we had Simon the Sorcerer, we had Prince of Persia, we had GTA...

Now, for a big shock to me.....
WORMS is getting 3D !!!! Worms 3, planned to be released in 2003, is going to be in 3D !!!

I must admit I was always curious to see what a Worms 3D would look, but I also must admit I always thought it would be crap.

Worms is good because it' s SIMPLE. I can't see a Worms 3D being simple anymore.

And where is the cuteness of the worms now? GONE!

It's from Team17, so I'll give some credit to it.... but still is hard to believe we'll have a good game ..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 August 2002, 10:54   #2
Akira

Re: Next 2D game to be 3D ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
WORMS is getting 3D !!!! Worms 3, planned to be released in 2003, is going to be in 3D !!!
Oh boy.Well, if we had lemmings 3D why not Worms? this will suck as much as Lemmings 3D I say.
Quote:
And where is the cuteness of the worms now? GONE!
No more sisters going ga-ga at the wormies!
Old 08 August 2002, 12:15   #3
Bloodwych

Hasn't this already been done?

It's called Hogs of War and is essentially worms in 3D, but with pigs fighting it out instead.

The game works ok in 3D and we had a good laugh playing it on the PS1 mainly due to Rick Mayall's (Bottom, Young Ones) humorous voice-overs. I wouldn't say it surpasses the 2D version however and if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather play 2D.

Have a look at the site below:

Hogs of War website
Old 08 August 2002, 13:40   #4
Drake1009

There was also an old DOS PD game called Genocide which was basically Scorched earth in a 3D landscape. That played ok, mainly because you had no limit so you had time to turn the landscape. And because there were nothing but the ground. No things floating in air which could disturb your view.
Old 08 August 2002, 18:30   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

How about I create this formula...

Cool old game + 3D "wizards" + Marketing retards = SUCK ASS CRAP GAME
Old 08 August 2002, 18:45   #6
Drake1009

I see Fred knows his math.
Old 08 August 2002, 19:25   #7
th4t1guy

A few years back I remember Andy Davidson saying in #worms that he would never allow it to be done in 3d as the game just wouldn't work that way.

I guess he found a way....
Old 08 August 2002, 20:02   #8
Drake1009

Or maybe they just kicked his opinion to the curb and used the brand anyway.
Old 08 August 2002, 21:12   #9
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Send a message via MSN to jrom
Well... How about Turrican 3D? I read it was under development but... that was ages ago... I think they dropped the development? Someone here who knows something about this?!?!
Old 08 August 2002, 22:47   #10
Drake1009

As far as I heard it was under development for the N64, so I guess it is dropped. Seen a few clones being worked on though.
Old 08 August 2002, 23:39   #11
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
A few years back I remember Andy Davidson saying in #worms that he would never allow it to be done in 3d as the game just wouldn't work that way.

I guess he found a way....
The way of the MONEY. This is just wanting to cash-in with the fame of worms.

Anyway, about Turrican 3D.. Factor 5 were doing teh Turrican-like Tornado for the Gamecube, but I think it got canned? And I never heard a thing about Rainbow Arts' Turrican 3D (Rainbow Arts hold the rights to the Turrican name, not factor 5).

Anyway I wouldn't like to see such a travesty. Converting Turrican into a lara Crotch-like game is NOT nice.
Old 09 August 2002, 00:56   #12
th4t1guy

I'm sure Andy saw a 3d version would eventually come. He was probably just trying to appeal to the air of nostalgia that was in that channel at the time.
Old 09 August 2002, 01:00   #13
Drake1009

In some respect 3D is a step forward for worms. Now they have made worms 2, worms armageddon and worms world party, and from what I can see there isn't a difference except more weapons. At least now they'll have to do something more about gameplay to integrate the 3rd dimension.
Old 09 August 2002, 01:24   #14
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

My opinion is that Worms is shit anyway, so maybe the move to 3D will actually make it a better game as far as I'm concerned.

Think of the postitive things that could happen rather than the negative all the time
Old 09 August 2002, 04:13   #15
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
How about Turrican in a Tekken format...

polygon based character and backgrounds... the camera spins to create best view angle

i would kinda like to see this actually... still the basic gameplay, but with a fresh up-to-date feel (sorry Akira )

---

I'd like to see Eye of the Beholder.. in proper 3D (again, sorry Akira )

---

But i don't agree with using a classic character or license, just to cash in... a well thought out.... kinda reminds you of the original game... type thing
Old 09 August 2002, 06:25   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
There was also an old DOS PD game called Genocide which was basically Scorched earth in a 3D landscape
Genoicide sux as hell. I hated that game.

Quote:
Anyway I wouldn't like to see such a travesty. Converting Turrican into a lara Crotch-like game is NOT nice.
I agree completely. Turrican would NOT WORK in 3D , and I wouldn't like to see it even in 2.5D. Leave the classic alone, please

Quote:
In some respect 3D is a step forward for worms. Now they have made worms 2, worms armageddon and worms world party, and from what I can see there isn't a difference except more weapons. At least now they'll have to do something more about gameplay to integrate the 3rd dimension.
Simply, LEAVE THE GAME ALONE. Like you said, we already had Worms, Worms+, Worms 2, Worms Armageddon, Worms World Party. We already have ENOUGH worms games. No need to do 3D.

Quote:
My opinion is that Worms is shit anyway
And you also supported England in World Cup...

Anyone knows Worms Blast? It has NOTHING to do with worms, just the name and the characters. It could be easilly called something else. $$$ always speaks louder..
Old 09 August 2002, 06:31   #17
th4t1guy

Quote:
Simply, LEAVE THE GAME ALONE. Like you said, we already had Worms, Worms+, Worms 2, Worms Armageddon, Worms World Party. We already have ENOUGH worms games
You forgot Worms Blast

Oops, I didn't read that bit at the bottom.
Personally, I would've named Worms Blast, Bust-a-Worm
Old 09 August 2002, 08:35   #18
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
How about Turrican in a Tekken format...
polygon based character and backgrounds... the camera spins to create best view angle
Turrican consists of just one character, who's gonna fight or hero then?

And Tekken sucks Worst "fighting" game ever, down there with Dangerous Streets!

Eye of the Beholder might work, as any other 3Dish RPG converted onto proper RPG...

As I said many times I dont hate 3D as a rule, I just think a lot of genres are not suited for a 3D remake, and if you decide to do one, it better be bloody well layed out and designed, otherwise it ends up in a fuckup.

I'd like to see Test Drive I remade with proper 3D and gameplay maybe like that of Need for Speed 1 (more arcadey)
Old 09 August 2002, 08:36   #19
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
We already have ENOUGH worms games. No need to do 3D.

$$$ always speaks louder..
How abut calling this one Worms $$$?

I agree with what you say. People don't know when to stop. That's why you get so many identikit FPS games, and why you got so many identikit console-type platformers on the Amiga.
Old 09 August 2002, 08:44   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Worms 3D is such a predictable move, I thought it already existed! As for Tekken sucking, I just cannot agree with that. I have played a hell of a lot of fighting games on every platform imaginable, but I find Tekken to be the most comfortable, engrossing and enjoyable fighting game(s) to date. The first in the series is shite, but II and (particularly) III OWN! But if you were referring to the first one, then yes, I agree that it sucks. (Sorry, I tend to just use the term Tekken when I refer to the second and third entries in the series...)
AdSense AdSense