English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 May 2011, 16:24   #141
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Send a message via Skype™ to mfilos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Btw, is Rebel's palette suitable for MWB icons and MUI colors?
Yep it is

You can check it out from an test environment for my Chameleon 64

Click image for larger version

Name:	640x256@16.png
Views:	182
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	28776
ClassicWB 68k, with MWB icons using Rebel's 16 colors @ PAL 640x256
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 May 2011, 16:53   #142
PeterK

@amigakit.com
Thanks for your screenshot. I guess you're using the PowerIcons patch since it looks better than it would ever be possible with the OS 3.5 color mapping on AGA. The PowerIcons patch is able to draw the images directly to a Hi/TrueColor screen and that shows us how good the image quality really is now after the color reduction has been done. It's almost HiColor quality now, and I already think about such a direct drawing routine for the icon.library, too. Of course, only for Hi- and TrueColor screens.

@mfilos
I think about installing Rebel's palette on my system too. In most cases this looks much better for 16 color screens than with a dynamical color mapping.
Old 07 June 2011, 19:04   #143
PeterK

Now I need some volunteers for testing icon.library 46.4.212 and for a patched version of the PowerIcons program. And I would really like to get some feedback before uploading this as a new release tonight on Aminet.

What's new?
1. A better glow effect for Ken's Icons. Please check other icon collections for possible negative side effects.

2. The PNG icon position can be fixed with snapshot now and a requester will ask you if you want to convert the icon into the OS 3.5 format. This has the advantage of getting smaller and much faster icons and the internal quality is almost as good as HiColor (stored with 16 bit precision).

3. You can check this quality with a patched version of the PowerIcons program. The patch disables the PNG detection of the PowerIcons program. Thus, the icon.library does the PNG processing, but the PowerIcons program can be used for direct drawing the icon images to any True/HiColor screen. And it will even display DualPNG icons. I just hope that Elena won't kill me for making this kind of faked version. Add a line to your startup-sequence before LoadWB like this:
Run >NIL: PowerIcons SCROLLSPEEDUP TEXTMODE=1

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Last edited by PeterK; 09 June 2011 at 14:43.
Old 07 June 2011, 19:34   #144
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Awsome update ! I like powericons for its icon outline patch too so its good to be able to keep it and know its compatable with all the new features of your library.

A quick screenie added showing a truecolor desktop with masonicons and colouricons from my own boxicons pack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AmigaOS.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	28829  
Old 07 June 2011, 20:09   #145
PeterK

Hi Mad-Matt,
your icon collection is really looking excellent, very well done!

Did you also check some PNG icons? I ask this, because I would like to know if PNG icons with two images but without a glow effect may get ugly yellow borders?
Old 07 June 2011, 20:28   #146
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Hi Mad-Matt,
your icon collection is really looking excellent, very well done!

Did you also check some PNG icons? I ask this, because I would like to know if PNG icons with two images but without a glow effect may get ugly yellow borders?
This is a screen showing kens DualPNG icons. I hope I understood right what you wanted to see

OT: Is the forum attach image feature auto converting the uploaded png's to a low quality compressed format ?
EDIT: I can see from the file name Attach image has converted uploaded png to compressed jpg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kens.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	28832  

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 08 June 2011 at 00:37.
Old 07 June 2011, 20:39   #147
PeterK

That looks ok, thanks for the screenshot. It shows me that the PowerIcons.pch is working. But I'm still looking for some Dual-PNG icons which are not made in glowicon style like Ken's Icons. Maybe someone else knows such a collection.
Old 07 June 2011, 21:35   #148
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Peter my friend with great joy I saw your newly upgrade library.

I made my tests on both ECS and AGA and I upload some test from

Name:	AGA_IconLib_211.png
Views:	167
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	28833

46.4.211 without PowerIcons

Name:	AGA_IconLib_212.png
Views:	160
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	28834

and 46.4.211 with PowerIcons enabled (patched version of yours).

Name:	AGA_IconLib_212_PI.png
Views:	178
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	28835

As I see it the outline especially on Kens Icons is a lot better than the previous version. Also the quality on icons is better on the new version and a bit worse with PowerIcons enabled!

Thanks again for your awesome upgrades and whatever test you want me to do, just tell me

Marios
Old 07 June 2011, 22:57   #149
James

Quote:
That looks ok, thanks for the screenshot. It shows me that the PowerIcons.pch is working. But I'm still looking for some Dual-PNG icons which are not made in glowicon style like Ken's Icons. Maybe someone else knows such a collection.
This is working great on my A1500(CV643D).
Have only tested it with an OS4 CD so far, but I have a large collection of icons. Need to burn them to CD before I can check them out.

Thanks again for all your great work!

*Update* Yes it is adding a glow to other icons. A good example is the disk icons in this collection:

http://aminet.net/search?query=drawer-icons-otti

Here are a few icons I joined together myself: combined.lha

Last edited by James; 07 June 2011 at 23:52. Reason: Update
Old 08 June 2011, 00:34   #150
PeterK

@mfilos
Quote:
As I see it the outline especially on Kens Icons is a lot better than the previous version. Also the quality on icons is better on the new version and a bit worse with PowerIcons enabled!
Many thanks for your screenshots, mfilos!
I regret, but the PowerIcons program has not been made with the intention to improve any ECS or AGA screen modes, it's for HiColor and TrueColor screens to display icons with direct drawing and not with color mapping. So, if you don't have a gfx-card then it won't make much sense to use the PowerIcons program. What a sad world, isn't it. But the sun glows behind my icons now, even on ECS and AGA screens

@James
Thanks for these icon sets. I don't know yet how to distinguish between these icons and the real GlowIcons. But I will think about it and may find a solution for the next release. 45.4.212 is already uploaded to Aminet now, since I guess, this problem won't hurt too much (except for Otti, maybe, sorry Otti
Old 08 June 2011, 05:46   #151
Cosmos
Banned

@About PowerIcons

Where is Elena ?? No news since a long time...
Old 08 June 2011, 05:58   #152
PeterK

I wish I knew that, but after a lot of email discussions with her 6 or 7 years ago I did not hear anything from Elena again. And I didn't want to bother her, so I finally stopped writing emails myself. The last pictures from her are from October 2006, then she disappeared ??
Old 09 June 2011, 12:42   #153
James

Quote:
@James
Thanks for these icon sets. I don't know yet how to distinguish between these icons and the real GlowIcons. But I will think about it and may find a solution for the next release. 45.4.212 is already uploaded to Aminet now, since I guess, this problem won't hurt too much (except for Otti, maybe, sorry Otti
People that don't like GlowIcons may be upset, but it actually makes everything look more consistent. Maybe it should be kept - as an option at least? (Sorry Otti )
Old 11 June 2011, 21:27   #154
PeterK

@James and Otti
Here it comes: icon.library 46.4.213 with the Otti-Fix for Dual-PNG GlowIcons.

Update: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=157

Last edited by PeterK; 13 June 2011 at 07:27.
Old 11 June 2011, 22:22   #155
James

Quote:
@James and Otti
Here it comes: icon.library 46.4.213 with the Otti-Fix for Dual-PNG GlowIcons.
All working as it should now, Otti will be pleased.
Old 12 June 2011, 00:49   #156
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

The PowerIcons patch is the same as 212's version or a new one?
Btw since I haven't tested it so far, is the new library compatible with AfAOS?

Thanks again Peter mate
Old 12 June 2011, 23:47   #157
PeterK

Yes mfilos, the patch for the PowerIcons program is the same again, but not everybody may have this already. The new version is 0.07 (PNG FAKE).

Of course, the icon.library still works under AfA_OS 4.7+, but not with the PowerIcons program together, as mentioned in my Readme. And the PowerIcons program also doesn't like DOpus Magellan as state in Elena's Readme, too. But not everyone can read nowadays

Update: icon.library 46.4.214 removes a small bug concerning the local datatype settings for WarpPNG and PNGdt 44.6 which could have blocked your settings for a datatype based picture viewer. These internal local settings are now deleted when the icon processing is done. So, you won't see a yellow/orange background any more if your pictures has an alpha channel. Before 46.4.213 this background was always black and nobody would have noticed that bug.

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Last edited by PeterK; 21 June 2011 at 06:58.
Old 13 June 2011, 15:29   #158
James

Quote:
Update: icon.library 46.4.214 removes a small bug concerning the local datatype settings for WarpPNG and PNGdt 44.6.
Thanks! Will try this out later...
Old 13 June 2011, 16:32   #159
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Awesome!!! Thx Peter
Old 23 June 2011, 14:44   #160
Cosmos
Banned

>PLEASE USE AMIGAOS4 OR MORPHOS IF YOU STILL WANT TO HURT YOURSELF WITH AN AMIGA
>LIKE SYSTEM AND TO PAY MONEY TO THOSE BASTARD THIEVES BOTH RED AND BLUES ONES

I'm a good guy : come back on Classics, helping PeterK and myself to improve the Kickstart 3.1 & 3.9 !

Come back to the roots my dear Elena !!!
AdSense AdSense