English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2011, 01:04   #1
brolly

About CD32 Games

I'm trying to build a definite list of CD32 games, but since on most lists that are available some of the games listed there are amiga cd or cdtv games I was wondering what most of you consider to be actual CD32 games. Would it be the games only released to that system or maybe also games that were re-released having the CD32 logo added to the boxart.

I listed several games that are usually considered as CD32 games, but that I'm not sure if they should be. Imagine you were doing 3 separate lists for Amiga CD, CDTV and CD32, in which one would you place these titles?
If there's any particular difference between both versions I'd be interested on knowing as well.

- Black Viper AmigaCD or CD32
- Camel Racer CD32 or CDTV
- Cedric And The Lost Sceptre AmigaCD or CD32
- Defender of The Crown 2 CDTV or CD32
- Emerald Mines CDTV or CD32
- Fears AmigaCD or CD32
- Gamer's Delight AmigaCD or CDTV or CD32
- Inherit The Earth AmigaCD or CD32
- Gloom 3 AmigaCD or CD32 (Doesn't seem to work on CD32 so this should be an easy choice=
- Gangster Pursuit CDTV or CD32
- Kang Fu AmigaCD or CD32
- Pinball Prelude AmigaCD or CD32
- Pinnochio CDTV or CD32
- Power Games CDTV or CD32
- Sixth Sense Investigations AmigaCD or CD32
- Superfrog AmigaCD or CD32
- Wendetta 2175 AmigaCD or CD32

Also is there any proof that Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers was ever released?
Would be interesting to have some input on this.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 February 2011, 09:43   #2
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
Imagine you were doing 3 separate lists for Amiga CD, CDTV and CD32, in which one would you place these titles?
TOSEC uses a 'hierarchy' to sort that problem : AmigaCD > CD32 > CDTV.
So if a game runs on both AmigaCD and CD32 it goes into the AmigaCD category and so on.
Old 20 February 2011, 02:48   #3
brolly

Thanks for the reply, yeah I noticed they use some sort of hierarchy, but it's not exactly like that unless they have some mistakes on their sets for example if they followed the hierarchy you posted:
Fears and Pinball Prelude are both on CD32 and should be on Amiga CD instead.

Or is there anything particular with these 2 games?

Also it's weird they put CDTV at last, wouldn't it make more sense to have AmigaCD > CDTV > CD32?
I never considered Camel Racer or Pinnochio CD32 games, and most (all?) games that run on both CDTV and CD32 were released for CDTV first I think.

One final question, a bit out of this topic, but since I never owned a CD drive for the Amiga I wonder if there's any real difference between the CD version of the games and their AGA/non-CD counterparts. I suppose this will differ from game to game, but if a game has the same ID on HOL and is tagged as running on AmigaCD and AGA for example I guess this means both versions are exactly the same right?
Old 20 February 2011, 10:29   #4
TCD

Quote:
Or is there anything particular with these 2 games?
You will have to ask someone in charge of the Amiga ISO DATs about that.

Quote:
One final question, a bit out of this topic, but since I never owned a CD drive for the Amiga I wonder if there's any real difference between the CD version of the games and their AGA/non-CD counterparts. I suppose this will differ from game to game, but if a game has the same ID on HOL and is tagged as running on AmigaCD and AGA for example I guess this means both versions are exactly the same right?
'AmigaCD/AGA' simply means that the version needs the AGA chipset. If the game can be installed to HD is indeed game specific and you will at least lose the CD music.
Old 22 February 2011, 14:25   #5
Cauterize

Quote:
- Camel Racer CD32 or CDTV
- Gangster Pursuit CDTV or CD32
Being the one who found the originals Camel Racer and Gangster Pursuit, I can tell you they are not official CD32 releases. They were put together by a small company in the UK who did Karaoke nights with these two games as part of the entertainment.

I sold the two discs to robotriot years ago in 2004 for approx 100.

I went through the same process as of recent to create the Commodore Amiga CD32 Master List which is hosted on my website, RetroCollect. You're more than welcome to use the guide . It's gone through the same process of making sure CD32 is mentioned somewhere on the box/manual/disc.
Old 22 February 2011, 16:51   #6
Experiment T

i've got quite a few CD32 games. the ones i can remember from the top of my head are:
Pinball Fantasies
D-Generation
Zool
Zool 2
James Pond 2: Robocod
Dangerous Streets
Oscar (Another Game Called Diggers on the same Disc)
Nigel Mansell's F-1 Challenge
Old 22 February 2011, 20:45   #7
brolly

TCD : So, seems I was reading it wrong on HOL. You're telling me if a game had a AmigaCD and a disk AGA release there will always 2 different entries on the db, is that right?
I was (wrongly) reading AmigaCD/AGA as a CD release and an AGA disk release.

Cauterize : Thanks for the link for your site, looks pretty good. But I think we are after 2 different goals, I'm trying to create a unique CD32 games list and not a list of all games that had official CD32 releases which seems to be your goal.
I was thinking or something more like the TOSEC approach TCD mentioned, for example you have Black Viper or Fears on your list, but they were released for AmigaCD too (I think the same package played on both), so I would put these 2 under AmigaCD probably.
About Camel Racer and Gangster Pursuit, even though they are not official would you consider them CD32 or CDTV games? I was thinking CDTV, but then again there's no reference to CDTV on the cds while CD32 is written there.
Old 22 February 2011, 20:57   #8
TCD

Quote:
TCD : So, seems I was reading it wrong on HOL. You're telling me if a game had a AmigaCD and a disk AGA release there will always 2 different entries on the db, is that right?
I was (wrongly) reading AmigaCD/AGA as a CD release and an AGA disk release.
Indeed. AmigaCD is always a seperate entry (there aren't that many games that had both anyway). The additional infos just describe minimal requirements (like RTG) or, in some cases, if the game also runs on a CD32.
Old 23 February 2011, 21:36   #9
Cauterize

Quote:
Cauterize : Thanks for the link for your site, looks pretty good. But I think we are after 2 different goals, I'm trying to create a unique CD32 games list and not a list of all games that had official CD32 releases which seems to be your goal.
Yeah more for the collectors over here

Quote:
About Camel Racer and Gangster Pursuit, even though they are not official would you consider them CD32 or CDTV games? I was thinking CDTV, but then again there's no reference to CDTV on the cds while CD32 is written there.
Trying to dig up the long gone website for the group which made these games. They used A1200s or A500s with an attached CD drive from what I remember. So they're far from CD32 games, if that's any help at all?
Old 23 February 2011, 22:01   #10
brolly

Is this the site? http://www.kwizoke.co.uk/39.html

I was just asking since HOL has them tagged as CD32 and CDTV, for what you're saying that would be more like an AmigaCD game than anything else. I've seen the video of the system on the above link and yeah it's just like you said. I was just wondering since the CDs have CD32 written.
Do have any idea in what year these games were released btw? Can't find any info on that.
Old 23 February 2011, 22:17   #11
Cauterize

I've long lost the scans I did for them, but they're floating around the internet somewhere. The label was gold with black ink on it and from what I remember, they said CD32 on them I think.

Here is the thread in which I first spoke about them: (I sound much younger...) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ighlight=camel

As the picture below shows, it was an Amiga inside, no sign of the CD32

Hopefully a bit more help.

EDIT: Just realised something. Their website is dated 2005 which is the same year I found the discs. Not sure if there is any connection though.
Old 23 February 2011, 23:49   #12
brolly

yeah, there's a video showing the system on their website. Clearly no CD32 so I wonder why they had CD32 written on the cds. But on that forum post of yours you mention some specific directory present on the CDs so maybe they were developed with CD32 in mind?
What scans are you talking about? CD scans or cover scans? I suppose there was no cover for these right?
The cd scans are available at HOL, not the best quality though.

Still on the subject, is there any confirmation that Oscar was ever released on the CD32? The standalone version, not that Oscar+Diggers pack.
I see scans of a CD32 version on HOL, but I could never find it for sale and no group has ever dumped it, so maybe it wasn't released?
Old 24 February 2011, 13:08   #13
Cauterize

Those scans I'f I'm not mistaken are the ones I did originally. What I found were just the two discs as seen (scanned). They weren't even in jewel cases from what I remember, just disc only.

Regarding the directory included on the discs, sadly I'm no more than an Amiga gamer and cannot say whether it was a file structure for CD32 or not. You'll need an expert to take a look at the files for you, what better place than here?

Regarding Oscar CD32 too, I would love to know the answer to this too.
Old 24 February 2011, 21:20   #14
Amigajay
醉拳

Oscar and Diggers were both released seperately, though Diggers was a NTSC only release solo, I'm not 100% if Oscar NTSC only or PAL as well, Flair releases Dangerous Streets seperately on PAL and that was part of a bundle so they may well have done Oscar too, I have seen all 3 cases, they came in those cardboard fold cases ala captive 2, the images are floating on the net somewhere, the odd copy does turn up on eBay, rarely but they do.
Old 25 February 2011, 13:14   #15
Cauterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Oscar and Diggers were both released seperately, though Diggers was a NTSC only release solo, I'm not 100% if Oscar NTSC only or PAL as well, Flair releases Dangerous Streets seperately on PAL and that was part of a bundle so they may well have done Oscar too, I have seen all 3 cases, they came in those cardboard fold cases ala captive 2, the images are floating on the net somewhere, the odd copy does turn up on eBay, rarely but they do.
Cross post from another thread

Oscar CD32 - http://cd32-allianz.de/software/revi...e=CD32%20Games
Old 25 February 2011, 21:20   #16
brolly

Yeah I've seen the covers before, but that alone doesn't prove the game was actually released on retail, it could have been cancelled. I've been looking for an Oscar copy for ages and never found one.

Can you point me where I can find at least an iso of it Amigajay? It's not on the zone nor any group seems to have dumped it so this is why I'm suspicious about a retail release, would be strange if it was indeed released and no one dumped it yet.
Old 26 February 2011, 17:44   #17
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Yeah I've seen the covers before, but that alone doesn't prove the game was actually released on retail, it could have been cancelled. I've been looking for an Oscar copy for ages and never found one.

Can you point me where I can find at least an iso of it Amigajay? It's not on the zone nor any group seems to have dumped it so this is why I'm suspicious about a retail release, would be strange if it was indeed released and no one dumped it yet.
Well that is true i suppose, i have iso's of the seperate Dangerous Streets and Diggers releases, I've just checked and can't find one of Oscar...unless like you say it was pulled at the last minute with only a few proto copys floating around...

The NTSC pictures are here for those who havent seen them...although it says the barcode is valid too..hope someone can get hold of a copy and dump it to find out for completions sake...

Last edited by Amigajay; 26 February 2011 at 17:55.
Old 27 February 2011, 23:03   #18
brolly

Yeah I have Dangerous Streets and Diggers, but Oscar is impossible to find that's why I'm suspiscious. Would be great if someone could get the game and dump it indeed.

There are 2 other games that I can't find covers for them. They are International Open Golf Championship and Sleepwalker & Pinball Fantasies (have the back cover for this one), do you happen to have any of these?
Also there's that Whizz game, but I'm sure there's no cover to be found for that one at least not for now.
Old 28 February 2011, 11:42   #19
Cauterize

Quote:
Sleepwalker & Pinball Fantasies (have the back cover for this one)
This was a pack in for NTSC consoles wasn't it? Which might explain the lack of covers
Old 28 February 2011, 21:02   #20
brolly

I'm not sure about that, but you might be onto something as all games I found for sale never had the front cover, so this might indicate it never had one?
AdSense AdSense