Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
I think it's this program:

http://home.attbi.com/~jguerette/transparent/
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 August 2002, 00:50   #22
Drake1009

Strange programs. I don't see what they do that you couldn't do already. If it's remove the colored box behind the icons then I'd think that's already implemented. I know I've already done that before using the windows appearance editor which appears on a right click/properties on the desktop.
Old 10 August 2002, 02:02   #23
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by žane
[B]Here are collections of some very fine freeware utilities, my personal favorites.

Sysinternals Freeware
http://www.sysinternals.com/

Foundstone - Free Tools
http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/free_tools.html

AnalogX Software
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download.htm
Nice links, dude! AX I'd been to a long time ago, but was nice to rediscover. Getting ready to dig through some of the Kodoichi links now.

I'llpost what apps & stuff do I use later.
Old 10 August 2002, 09:27   #24
Akira

I needed a P2P program and I remembered Kodo always mentioning WinMX so I got it. I love it!

My PC list contains stuff from most of what you guys put here.. i'll add some of my Amiga faves:

Amiga/
MNU│ - Anim utility for teh VJ. Move them anims in real time, and mix them realtime too. great!
Videotracker - Free with CUAmiga. Awesome for live performances using the Joystick module
DirWork - Nice mega-lite DOpus-like program thingy. Been using it for ages
MagicMenu - The old version! Been using it for ages too.
LHA, LZX, UnZIP, etc - you need decompressors
YAM - I LOVE this mail client!
PPaint

Hmm.. got to check, I surely have lots of others (MCP, BlazeWCP, FBlit...)

Oh what the fuck, I'll add some PC ones (though most of my PC software is 'freeware', if you know what i mean )

Winamp - i'll stick to an old version though, I don't like the V3 previews
[b]Ad-Aware[b] - get rid of that spyware!
Div-X - The free version :P Great for video work
Power Archiver - A great tool
WinMX - just discovered. Great!

[edit]WOO! I forgot the MOST important PC freeware software I use everyday!

Serenade - A great shell replacement, I got rid of that unstable explorer.exe and use a much nicer, simple, NeXTStep-like interface. This is by far my preferred OS interface, and this shell replacement is great because it's VERY easy on the processor (no unneeded eyecandy), looks OK, and it's VERY stable, much more than Windows' own Explorer. I recommend, again, an old version for maximum stability! Versions 5 and newer if any) were a bit full of bloat.

Oh, and I'm running an old rev of SuSE Linux, does that count? I use WindowMaker of course (that NeXTStep interface again).
That is, when I use it :P my script server got buggered and I havent touched it ever since, i cant care to fix it or reinstall it.
Old 10 August 2002, 14:38   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
WOO! I forgot the MOST important PC freeware software I use everyday!

Serenade - A great shell replacement, I got rid of that unstable explorer.exe and use a much nicer, simple, NeXTStep-like interface. This is by far my preferred OS interface, and this shell replacement is great because it's VERY easy on the processor (no unneeded eyecandy), looks OK, and it's VERY stable, much more than Windows' own Explorer. I recommend, again, an old version for maximum stability! Versions 5 and newer if any) were a bit full of bloat.
This sounds very interesting. I wasn't aware you could toss the explorer shell, which I despise. How can I get this Serenade (the version you are running...I know how PC software gets progressively worse with each upgrade...)
Old 10 August 2002, 18:30   #26
Akira

I will post the two versions I have to The Zone tonight. Because I dont know if they are still available.

I am using an hybrid between the two versions. I kept the old shell for increased stability, and use the tools of the new one. Perfectly compatible

I'll also include a "skin" because the default one sucks. Customizing this shell's looks is not as easy as on Litestep, but as I said, I preffer this one to any of the others because it's absolutely SOLID.

The only times explorer kicks in would be if you load IEXPLORE.EXE (not your case of course ) or teh Windows Explorer (I recommend using ACDSee 2.24 instead).

IF any of these bitches crash, your OS doesnt fall down with it.
The requesters and all that still are handled through the standard libraries, so if those fail, there's nothing good ole Serenade can do.
Old 10 August 2002, 19:21   #27
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

I've installed last version and the fucking bitch almost fucks my Windows :kill

I got this message after reboot my computer: "c:\Archivos de programa\S5\S5.exe can not be executed. Please reinstall Windows"

Thanks to MS-DOS I could edit system.ini and change shell line.

@TG If you want a shell/explorer replacement try Windows Commander, is shareware but is the best util ever created and is programmed in Delphi 2.0

Old 10 August 2002, 19:59   #28
Drake1009

And I thought Litestep was hard to customize. And solid? Hopefully you don't mean it like non-changable. Litestep was unflexible as h*ck unless you were good with notepad.
Old 10 August 2002, 20:24   #29
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
/me throws in the word "Geoshell".
Old 11 August 2002, 01:04   #30
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Uukrul
I got this message after reboot my computer: "c:\Archivos de programa\S5\S5.exe can not be executed. Please reinstall Windows"
I think the shell= line should not be like tha, it should be like this:

"shell=c:\archiv~1\s5\s5.exe"

Try it out, now it should work. system.ini doesnt support teh long filenames!

With SOLID i mean stble as rock. Serenade actually comes with a little customization util, thus is MUCH easier than Litestep to configure. But it's not drag and drop, so it takes time!

/me looks at Geoshell... Never tried it before, I just lieks shellE or something like that. I dont want much eyecandy in my replacement shell, i just want incresed stability and a NeXTStep-like interface
Old 12 August 2002, 06:38   #31
Akira

I have uploaded my Serenade setup to The Zone, along with a text that explains how to set it up and all, for anyone who's interested
Old 14 August 2002, 12:52   #32
Walker

I decided to give Serenade a try, here's a screenshot from my 10-Minutes-Config desktop:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serenade.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	3301  
Old 14 August 2002, 15:19   #33
Drake1009

10 minute config, was that through text editing or is there a sort of editor for configs?
Old 14 August 2002, 15:42   #34
žane

Care for some Serenade? Here's mine. (see attachment below)

Explorer is running simultaneously here because it is difficult to navigate without, seriously I don't know how you can be productive with an interface like this one, I feel very clumsy using it.

I voted against Winamp3 in another thread, but I am beginning to take a liking to it (even though it does waste quadruple the amount of memory and system resources). Who can guess what film is pictured in the video window?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	serenadeshot.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	3302  
Old 14 August 2002, 20:27   #35
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
10 minute config, was that through text editing or is there a sort of editor for configs?
It has a GUI to set up the parameters of the config file.

Walker: you upgrded to a newer version? How does it work?

Sane: using Explorer at thr same time bets the purpose of a shell replacement! :P I find it very useable because, as I said, I'm too used to the NEXTStep way of things
Old 14 August 2002, 21:50   #36
RetroMan

Since I┤m currently rebuilding the OS of my Laptop, I thought it would be a good idea to install Serenade, I gave Version 5 Alpha 4 a go but it was way too slow on my P133Mhz. So I took the old version from Akira, here it is (took me 5 minutes for this config )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windesk.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	3308  
Old 14 August 2002, 21:57   #37
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by žane
Who can guess what film is pictured in the video window?
David Lynch's worst film -> Dune

Old 15 August 2002, 00:43   #38
Drake1009

I said Dune as well, but that ended up getting split into the Winamp discussion apparently.
Old 15 August 2002, 19:03   #39
blackcornflake

I also recommend HJSplit, a file splitter/joiner. Amiga, Windoze, you name it versions. All compatible.

I'm not a film buff.
Old 15 August 2002, 19:29   #40
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, back to Serenade. What OS's were those screens posted from? And if I install it, am I going to have any problem reverting back to the way my system was should I decide I don't like it?
AdSense AdSense