English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 17 February 2011, 13:50   #1
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Happy Rediscovered my A1200 & here I am :)

Hi!

Back when I was a little kid, about 8 years old, I played all my games on the Amiga. Then, a few years later, my dad gave me my own A1200 to play with. I made tons of music modules during school years, as well as Cinema4D stuff, my own AMOS shoot-em-up, and a bulk of DPaint drawings. I also got quite addicted to Worms the Director's Cut, Dune, Civilization, and the Gobliiins series.

However, around the age of 15/16 I switched from the A1200 to PC's running Linux. Linux was still quite a hassle to get working back then, but I always loved a challenge. :P

Anyway, recently I asked my dad to bring the A1200 to my place, and it's now sitting here next to the laptop I'm typing on. At first I just wanted to get back my old digital creations, and cause I'm familiar with networking I ordered a PCMCIA ethernet card from amigakit.com. I'm still having problems with that, read more about it here.

But now, I've decided what my ultimate goal is: A triple boot on this laptop: my 2 Ubuntu versions (already installed) + Xamiga, which is a base linux system that runs e-uae at boot. It would boot into the exact same system I now have running on my A1200.

I have much respect for the people tinkering away with their old amigas, but I myself wouldn't know where to start, and besides, I love the idea of transferring my old desktop to a new host, and being able to do so with any future laptops that might come my way too.

This, also, would allow me to use OctaMED, all my old samples + all my old music on the laptop. Then I could just export the songs, reboot, and combine the Amiga music with music created in Ubuntu Studio.

I love the sound of the Amiga mods, and it would be great to boot the laptop, make a nice breakbeat in OctaMED, reboot, import into Audacity, and go on from there.

So that's where I am now, and I figured I'd introduce myself to the Amiga people. In short: hello!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 February 2011, 14:03   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Welcome to EAB, I enjoyed reading your introduction

I was introduced to Debian by a fellow Amigan only yesterday, I'm still reading up on it but I think this might be interesting to you

I look forward to reading more about your project.

Steve.
Old 17 February 2011, 14:07   #3
amigakit.com

Welcome!
Old 17 February 2011, 14:34   #4
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Welcome to Eab... Nice intro! Maybe you could share some of your past and present projects with the community, we are always on the lookout for new/old amiga creations!

If you need any help transferring disks to adf, drop me a pm!
Old 17 February 2011, 18:05   #5
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Thanks for the replies, this board rocks.

Once I get data transfer up and running, I'll post some mod archives with my old work, and also my shoot-em-up (definitely wanna share that one), maybe some artwork too. Keep in mind I was just a kid, so it might not be my best work yet.

So I think in the near future I'll create a thread on here to document my progress on my project, where I'll also post links to the stuff I've retrieved.

Managed to get a crossover cable today, so next thing to try is if Amiga <-> laptop ethernet works with that. If that fails, I have a compact flash card solution coming to me by mail, ordered yesterday.

Once I make new music with the Amiga, I'll post it too.

For now, however, social life demands attention.
Old 17 February 2011, 18:30   #6
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
If you need an AMOS refresh and wanna continue developing for the Amiga then its worth checking out the AMOS section here and maybe visiting... http://amos.ultimateamiga.co.uk/

it will be great if you get back into the game development side, not nearly enough stuff is released for the Amiga...
Old 17 February 2011, 19:42   #7
EreWeGo

With regard to X-Amiga - I talked to the creator of X-Amiga a while ago - I was hoping he would release an update with USB joystick support. Last time Amir Ansari emailed he said:

"I'm hoping to start work on an update very soon. Apart from updating the packages, I'm wondering what else to do... The kernel is the main problem: XA was always meant to be 'minimal', but if I release it with a generic Linux kernel, it gets bloated very quickly. The alternative is to somehow manually configure the kernel during installation; but this is a painful learning curve for many users, so it might be an unreasonable requirement.
Still toying with ideas... Do you have any ideas? ;-)"

Unfortunately, there still doesn't appear to be an update yet, but then I know Amir was busy with the linix side of Amiga Forever I think?

Anyway r0ber7, welcome to the forums, and if you're going to use X-Amiga maybe you could flick Amir a message too and see if there's an update on it's way
Old 17 February 2011, 20:10   #8
pubzombie

Greetings and welcome
I am not technical with the miggy but have a long gaming history on commodore machines
always nice to meet an old miggy Civ and worms fan
they are a great bunch of guys here -enjoy your stay
Old 17 February 2011, 20:50   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi r0ber7, and welcome to EAB!

Looking forward to see what you've created.
Old 17 February 2011, 21:42   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hi and welcome!!

X-Amiga PPC would be nice!
AdSense AdSense