Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 May 2016, 15:18   #101
DesktopDynamite

Thanks for the detailed info guys

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 May 2016, 06:17   #102
DesktopDynamite

Ok since I discovered classicwb 68k version, it satisfied my needs , thanks Zetro

So as to recap, between AG launch, tinylauncher, other front-end launchers for Whdload...is AG launch the least RAM hungry for launching games?

Old 11 May 2016, 12:08   #103
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesktopDynamite View Post
Ok since I discovered classicwb 68k version, it satisfied my needs , thanks Zetro

So as to recap, between AG launch, tinylauncher, other front-end launchers for Whdload...is AG launch the least RAM hungry for launching games?

I will be honest I am unsure what resources Tiny Launcher uses - I suspect that it would be small as it was designed for limited environments - sadly how small I don't know - gibs would know - to find out more have a read here (tiny launcher 2.1)

From what I have seen of the software it will use a minimum of 245KBytes to load + working space so pending how it is coded I suspect an optimal usage of about 260kb to 360kb all in, but Gibs would know better.

AG-Launch is different is it only loads what it needs by category, so on average I suspect that AG-Launch will use about 200k to give you instant access over 27 rendered files that allows you to load any one of over 2,700 games within two mouse clicks.

AG-Launch only uses about 20k of real CHIP memory should any FAST RAM be available, even if its just 1MB.

I hope that helps.
Old 11 May 2016, 12:30   #104
DesktopDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I will be honest I am unsure what resources Tiny Launcher uses - I suspect that it would be small as it was designed for limited environments - sadly how small I don't know - gibs would know - to find out more have a read here (tiny launcher 2.1)

From what I have seen of the software it will use a minimum of 245KBytes to load + working space so pending how it is coded I suspect an optimal usage of about 260kb to 360kb all in, but Gibs would know better.

AG-Launch is different is it only loads what it needs by category, so on average I suspect that AG-Launch will use about 200k to give you instant access over 27 rendered files that allows you to load any one of over 2,700 games within two mouse clicks.

AG-Launch only uses about 20k of real CHIP memory should any FAST RAM be available, even if its just 1MB.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the detailed info Zetro. As one may say, since tiny launcher uses gfx, sound etc it would be obvious that it uses much more RAM...

Old 27 May 2016, 15:31   #105
DesktopDynamite

@ Zetro;

Currently am doing another cf card running normal WB3.1, I moved the AG-launch folder as per your installation requirements. Now when I double click on Ag-launch guides it says cannot access "a-games:A...."
agl:c/wbrun failed returncode 20"

What should I do to edit and point Ag-launcher to my games directory?
Also when I try to launch the AG-launch.guide file it shows an workbench error message "Unable to open your tool `ram:dtview`.

Could you post an image of what should I exactly drag into the system folder? I downloaded the latest Ag-Launch from aminet.net.

Sorry for my newbish workbench help too.
Old 28 May 2016, 13:10   #106
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you will need to add "AGL:" assignment to your startup - there should be a readme on how to install with the pack from aminet my friend =D
Old 30 May 2016, 17:42   #107
DesktopDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
you will need to add "AGL:" assignment to your startup - there should be a readme on how to install with the pack from aminet my friend =D
Thanks, sorted

Old 02 June 2016, 10:59   #108
TEOL

Now that WHDLoad is free how about a complete overhaul of AG-Launch. I'm talking.

1) Triple mode runs Normal Hard Drive/KGLoad and WHDLoad with no RAM usage.

2) Automaticly scans the normal 1st partition Games folder but lets you manual scan for any other folder on other petitions.

3) Now runs your Hard Drive installs from all major zip like compressed files formats that the AMIGA excepts too like FS-UAE does but on your real AMIGA.

4) Has the click on startup as the automatic setting now for every user so nobody who has it already has to reinstall Classic Workbench to the latest version to get their click menu version back anymore they can just install the new version and thats it but it also adds the menu to all other versions too.

5) No KGLoad or WHDLoad seperate programs needed anymore as they will now be built into this one loader software for these low RAM users plus also has the mode to run normal hard drive games like the most wanted to play by everyone A Doom and others that require the full minimum RAM of the system with no loss of RAM from the OS.

Those are the things I wanna see most now that you are possibly allowed to make this custom WHDLoad version for the new loader but it depends on if the new free versions are open source freeware though if you can make your own custom version for the loader program now from the dev version of course so it's always up to date too.

Last edited by TEOL; 02 June 2016 at 11:13.
Old 02 June 2016, 12:28   #109
Gordon
Settler

Why change when the beauty of AG-Launch is its simplicity?
Old 02 June 2016, 16:23   #110
TEOL

True. But it would stay the same. It would just have triple mode Hard Drive plays like FS-UAE and the better click it on with no coding mode for everyone and also it would load compressed Hard Drives up so save space on the drive and it would do your normal start from C Games auto scan but it would also now allow you to choose a manual path too.

Surely those are archeivable through the same simple setup plus it would make things even more simple than it does now with it's triple type boots like the one in FS-UAE for Hard Drive/K-G Load and WHDload as well as being able to run them from a compressed file on a real AMIGA.

Being activated by a click for everyone would be more simple than the coding to put it on which both non CW and old version users to have to remember the codes for it if a lazy CW user or non CW user who doesn't want to reformat the full drive again with a new CW decides to upgrade their version whilst keeping the old OS as well as it would work for everyone on the click if it was set up by default to do so it's something that would improve the already great program a lot.

The compressed files would just be a feature that would be nice to have and so would the triple modes where both would work just like FS-UAE's Hard Drives boot mode after you have clicked on a game within the auto games menu or choose a compressed file to run from a place manually which is not your main petition it would boot up just like that with minimal resources as usaul through the compressed file just like FS-UAE does but with the normal interface we have now to choose the file for running on the real hardware like that but of course with thee option of getting a file from a different petition without coding added in.

The mandatory thing I think to add would be that easy click to put on the menu thing featuring in CW as the default option for everyone including lazy CW updaters which want to just update the program as well as all the other Workbench installs.

The other stuff is just juicy idea things to make the booting even better though as I've always thought it would be nice to have KG-Load and normal Hard Drives boot from there as well like FS-UAE through zips and whatnot.

The idea is to keep the interface the same lightweight look and feel but also have a button for picking a game not on your main hard drive.

On the booting grey and blue screen after you clicked on the game it will load the compressed file and unpack it like FS-UAE and boots up fast like it with the minimal resources as usaul.
Old 28 December 2016, 01:50   #111
TjLaZer

Whats the easiest way to edit the guides to format them properly? I've removed a lot of games, mostly non English, and have removed them manually. But that has left a lot of holes and I want to tidy all the guides up. Would be a lot of work to edit them all by hand.
Old 09 November 2017, 02:26   #112
A500

Solo761 created an excellent tool for making your own AG-Launch setups, see here:

https://16bitdust.wordpress.com/2015...files-creator/
AdSense AdSense