English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 January 2011, 21:20   #1
RMK

Best way to move files to my A1200's CF card?

Hi,

I've just installed my CF card and ACA into my A1200 and now have the big problem of moving the killergorilla WHDload packs onto the CF card. The CF card reader on my PC is playing up so that's a no go. I do have an A4000 with a yet to be installed Deneb, but the CD rom is working ok...but no CF card reader.

What's the cheapest and easiest way to do this as the machine is pretty useless as it is and I've just spent 360 on the Amiga gear. I'm thinking maybe an ide splitter for the 1200 and then just connect up a hard drive with all the packs dumped on it and copy them over?

Any help at all is appreciated. I have nothing but the bare OS3.9 install on the CF card, kindly done by Amigakit when purchased.

Thanks,

Robert
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 January 2011, 21:31   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

The cheapest way is to mount the CF card in a CF-IDE adapter and connect it to your PC's IDE controller (if it has one), then copy the files to it when mounted as an Amiga drive in WinUAE.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:06   #3
RMK

I'm trying Win UAE, but can't even get ROM files to run it. I've posted a threat in the WinUAE board for advice.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:11   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Robert, If you are really stuck if you wanted to send me the CF card Id fill it up for you. Otherwise you need a new CF card reader and do it via WinUAE.

Steve.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:31   #5
RMK

Thanks Steve, I'll see how I get on with it over next week. Failing that I'll take you up on your offer.

Robert
Old 24 January 2011, 00:40   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
As Steve said the real easy way is a new card reader for the pc! Then use a pcmcia adaptor to get the files over onto the internal cf card via the card slot.

Heck you could even cheapskate and go into a local poundland (uk only I assume?) and pick up an multi-card reader. Ive done that a couple of times and they do work just the quality isnt amazing, but the thing is they have got me out of a few awkward moments in the past
Old 24 January 2011, 00:48   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Heck you could even cheapskate and go into a local poundland (uk only I assume?) and pick up an multi-card reader. Ive done that a couple of times and they do work just the quality isnt amazing, but the thing is they have got me out of a few awkward moments in the past
Hey, do their multi-card readers really accept CF cards? I didn't know that. I guess I'd better go and have another look.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:50   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Thanks Steve, I'll see how I get on with it over next week. Failing that I'll take you up on your offer.

Robert
No probs, if you get stuck just gimme a shout, I could have it done and turned around within 24hrs

FOC of course.

Steve.
Old 24 January 2011, 01:06   #9
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hey, do their multi-card readers really accept CF cards? I didn't know that. I guess I'd better go and have another look.
The only problem is down to them actually having some to buy! Sometimes they will have loads and other times they all suddenly vanish... I do wonder if its amigans nabbing them all lol
Old 24 January 2011, 01:14   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
The only problem is down to them actually having some to buy! Sometimes they will have loads and other times they all suddenly vanish...
Thanks for that, I'll have to keep looking...

Quote:
I do wonder if its amigans nabbing them all lol
Well, this Amigan would certainly like to nab a couple!
Old 24 January 2011, 19:04   #11
ElectroBlaster

I will keep an eye out, if I remember I can pick up some and then send one up if you wanted...
Old 24 January 2011, 21:23   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I will keep an eye out, if I remember I can pick up some and then send one up if you wanted...
Thanks, mate! I could do with a couple if you would be so kind. I don't think I've ever seen a CF-compatible card reader in Poundland around here.
AdSense AdSense