English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 January 2011, 01:31   #1
paalrosen

A 500 GVP 530 ide whdload cf problems

hello guys
in the old days I had a standard Amiga 500 Plus with extra RAM and disk drive, and perhaps should have been so also today I have read some forums but I do not know how I change the setup on my amiga, so I need step by step help if someone will put themselves into this mess I've made for myself. thanks
hold on, here it comes

The system is A500 Plus 2Mb chip GVP a530Turbo 8Mb ram
Kickstart 3.1 (40,063) WB 2.1 (38.36)
ide / scsi adapter R-IDSC E / R 0-9 jumpers 4567 is closed
4 GB Transcend Cf card
DH0 disk ok,total blocks 99790,bytes pr block 512,disk type FFS ,volum system,gvpscsi divice,surfaces 16,sector 63,reserved blocks 2,speed 1,083,239
DH1 total blocks 4173118,speed 1,083,239. DH2 total blocks 3556222,speed 1,084,733
SYSINFO 68030, 68882,(68030 not in use)
Ram 8mb fast 24 bit dma ,priority 10, shunks 89
chip ram 2 , 24 bit dma , priority -10 chunks 13
Hdtoolbox V2.20 (driver not installed) i cant find any hardware in hdtoolbox at all
WHDload . some games will work but most do not,
Here are some error messages I get

EXCEPTION "illegal instruction" s10 at s9A QUIT RESET MAKE COREDUMP

NMI AUTOVECTOR s7c at s9A6EEA resload s3CF2

Resload_loadkick invalid kikstrart image DEVS:kiskstarts/kick34005.a500

EXCEPTION LINE 1111 EMULATOR s2 AT s261FFF60 QUIT RESET MAKE CORE DUMP

I've seen several that have some of the same problems, and some have adjusted the maximum transfer successfully. but I do not know where or how to do this
the machine booted fine and working, what is the problem is that many games do not work in the WHDLoad (radload)
and hdtoolbox is empty
dose the rest seems okey ?
what can I do?
I'm a super amateur.
thanks a lot for help to get oil imperium and lotus 3 and more to run.
PS cf card purchased on the evilbay
thanks

AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 February 2011, 00:13   #2
A420X

I had some similar problems when setting up my cf card. I'll do my best to remember what worked for me until someone more knowledgeable comes along

"I've seen several that have some of the same problems, and some have adjusted the maximum transfer successfully. but I do not know where or how to do this"

You can change the maximum transfer settings in HDToolbox but first make sure you change the tooltype to

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=gvpscsi.device

you do this by going to the icons information window from the top right click menu, or press Right Amiga + i after left clicking the HDToolBox icon (sorry if this sounds patronising but you did say you were super amateur and I know first hand how the little things can trip you up )

make sure to hit return before pressing save. (little things like this )

Then load up HDToolBox, if all went well you should see your device, now:
  • Click Partition Drive
  • Tick the Advanced Options tick box
  • Click the Change... button
  • there you can change the MaxTransfer setting (again hit return after changing) and click ok to exit out
if it helps mine is set to 0x1fe00, i do remember reading that if that doesn't work to to try 0xFE00

"many games do not work in the WHDLoad (radload)"
I have an unexpanded A1200 with only 2MB so lots of games don't work for me. Since you have an extra 8MB fast ram that seems a bit odd (but im pretty ill informed so maybe someone else can advise...) all I would say is hold down both mouse buttons when you turn the Amiga on and boot with no startup-sequence then run the slave files from AmigaDOS e.g

whdload preload cannonfodder.slave

(make sure you're in the directory, again sorry if I'm sounding patronising or just plain wrong)

"dose the rest seems okey ?"

Resload_loadkick invalid kikstrart image DEVS:kiskstarts/kick34005.a500

suggests that you either don't have or have the wrong kickstart files in place (I hear whdload can be picky about some files), whdload needs these files (google is your friend) to emulate other kickstart roms for older games and demos.

the other errors mean nothing to me but I would suggest running whdload with no arguments from a shell window and looking at the options in the help file, there might be a setting that could help.

Hope at least some of that points you in the right direction.

Old 03 February 2011, 22:33   #3
Lockon
Air supremacy

For errors like "NMI AUTOVECTOR s7c at s9A6EEA resload s3CF2"....

Open and edit S:WhdLoad.prefs file in order to include NOAUTOVEC (maybe it's already there, but set inactive/commented with ';'. Remove the comment and save the file.

That error is pretty common on GVP A530 Turbo since this accelerator seems as incomplete design.

For DEVS:kickstarts kind of error, download and unpack appropriate files inside this archive:
http://aminet.net/util/boot/skick346.lha
AdSense AdSense