English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 January 2011, 16:26   #21
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Yay, he's funny. Did you see his Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?

Er, back on topic - Matt Chat 91: The Fall of Interplay with Brian Fargo
[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 February 2011, 01:01   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I wonder if games are like fashion. You know, games from the 80's are not understood anymore by the current generation. But will in ten years or so the current generation "mature" into liking the old school gameplay again?

Would be something if in 2020 I hear the kiddos say that "real time games ar stoopid!" Of course literacy will continue to degrade.
Old 01 February 2011, 01:52   #23
mattbarton.exe

Well, throughout history that has always been a perceived dumbing down. You can go back to the Romans, Greeks, etc. and see the same stuff--putting down the "kids these days" has always been with us.

Education (to me) is first and foremost about providing kids with resources. If you want to become a doctor, lawyer, scientist, etc., school should help you reach that goal. Like Quintilian said, kids are by nature curious and eager to learn and explore. To the extent that schools punish that or make it all about a standardized test, they fail. They should be rewarding curiosity and giving kids more hands-on learning, especially at the critical early years.

I don't know about other countries, but here education has gotten very scary. It's all about standardized tests and learning content. They even took P.E. out of my schools so the kids are just getting flabby and drinking lots of soda pop. Of course then the doctors inject them with Ritalin rather than regulate their sugar levels or let them get some exercise. Sigh.

Just my two cents.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:41   #24
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Yay, he's funny. Did you see his Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?

Er, back on topic - Matt Chat 91: The Fall of Interplay with Brian Fargo
[ Show youtube player ]

Great, checking it out now...
Old 01 February 2011, 12:31   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I don't know about other countries, but here education has gotten very scary. It's all about standardized tests and learning content. They even took P.E. out of my schools so the kids are just getting flabby and drinking lots of soda pop. Of course then the doctors inject them with Ritalin rather than regulate their sugar levels or let them get some exercise. Sigh.

Just my two cents.
P.E. is one thing (doing an hour of sports once or twice a week does not prevent kids from getting fat - that takes personal effort outside of school time). Here they are dropping *math* because "the students just don't understand it anymore". How can I interpret that in any other way than "Yeah students weren't graduating so we were losing money. But we fixed that problem"
AdSense AdSense