English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 January 2011, 02:04   #21
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
Yeah these ARM news are great indeed...I just hope some good OpenSource-oriented portable platform will come through and Apple retrograde marketing takes a good slap in the face.
There's always little portable consoles such as the Dingoo A320, Pandora, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo etc... which all use ARM based CPU's and are fully open source
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 January 2011, 09:19   #22
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Apple founded ARM back in the 90s and almost bought the company last year - in fact I was sure they did.

OSX is a lovely operating system. I have a 4 & half year old iMac that still cuts it with music making. For me, 1000 well spent & I could still sell it for 350.
Advanced RISC Machines was created by Apple and Acorn in the early nineties although the architecture itself started as Acorn RISC machine in the early eighties.
Old 07 January 2011, 11:19   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Apple founded ARM back in the 90s
Yeah? I wasn't aware of their involvement until now. The must have only been a cash backer or something. I do know the ARM 600 series is in the Newton.

Quote:
and almost bought the company last year - in fact I was sure they did.
$12b is the market cap of ARM so it would have to be in the +$15b mark I'd have thought. Certainly not cheap these days.

Last edited by alexh; 07 January 2011 at 11:25.
Old 07 January 2011, 13:00   #24
Bloodwych

I've learnt a lot from reading this thread from all you technology GURU's - thanks guys!

I think it's going to be an interesting battle. The big market for home users are mobile devices and consoles these days - high end PC's and absolute performance crown seem to be getting less popular.
Old 07 January 2011, 16:11   #25
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
I mean, we're finally slowly getting rid of Microsoft's aegemonia, and I don't understand how computer-educated people can accept a new tyran to take his place, praising for Apple?
I wouldn't be so sure about this. Microsoft and Apple recently acquired along with Novell the original UNIX patents. That's a very dangerous thing that nearly went unnoticed.
Old 07 January 2011, 17:19   #26
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Lol, Novell is still alive? I thought we were their last customers when we dropped NetWare 4 years ago

But if what you say is true, that's indeed pretty frightening. I'll try to find more info.
Old 07 January 2011, 19:53   #27
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Novell is behind Suse Linux. Suse and RedHat are the biggest Linux business distros.

Mueller: 882 Novell patents go to Microsoft, Apple, EMC, and Oracle
Novell acquired by Attachmate, sells some patents to Microsoft
Old 07 January 2011, 21:29   #28
vidarh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about this. Microsoft and Apple recently acquired along with Novell the original UNIX patents. That's a very dangerous thing that nearly went unnoticed.
The original UNIX patents are all or almost all expired by now. They're not much of a threat. Though there could be more dangerous patents amongst Novell's other patents.
AdSense AdSense