English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 December 2010, 10:01   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you want an exact image of the drive, you should create the HDF already on the Amiga from the original disk. Use TSGUI to create a HDF in RDB mode which means that the entire drive with all partitions will be put into one HDF.

Or, if you want to save space and stick with copying files, you should make a VHD file rather than a HDF (WinUAE calls it "dynamic HDF"). This way the image file takes up only as much space as the files it contains but is as accurate as a fixed-size HDF.

Note that if you copy Amiga files to a FAT formatted CF card, you loose file comments and protection bits. Better use an Amiga archiver like LhA to archive files with all their attributes. Or make a HDF like described above.
I was going to (if required) lha the files onto a CF card via PCMCIA on my A1200 and then create the HDF's in WinUAE and un-lha back into the HDF's. Zip up the HDF's and FTP to Darcey, however will take your comments on board, sounds like TSGUI will be an easier solution.

Cheers.

Steve.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 February 2011, 17:35   #22
Darcey

Well... I finally got round to plugging the drive in via the IDE cable. Lots of fuss about order never turning up etc.

The drive is not detected in bios or in windows drive management or in the winuae. Drive made a strange ticking noise and then went silent.... Hopefully this cable hasn't fried it! or it hasn't just collapsed from old age :s

Steve... If your still up for uploading the files on the drive for me somewhere please contact me via my email direct and I will post you the drive.

Darcey.Lloyd@gmail.com

Thanks

Darcey
Old 04 February 2011, 17:40   #23
thomas

Quote:
Drive made a strange ticking noise and then went silent
This usually means it's dead for good.
Old 04 February 2011, 17:44   #24
Darcey

NoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO!

Hopefully it might have 1 last read and write left in it... :s
Old 04 February 2011, 18:01   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi!

I'm still happy to try and help although it dosen't sound good

I'm happy to meet you somewhere in Bromley to save further risk of damage posting?

Steve.
Old 09 February 2011, 02:57   #26
Darcey

Hi Steve,

I got my hands on an amiga powerpack, plugged the drive back in and powered up......

And nothing.... No bootup... It didn't even feel like it spun up...
I guess its game over :\

Thanks to all for the info and help.

D
Old 15 February 2011, 12:16   #27
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcey View Post
Hi Steve,

I got my hands on an amiga powerpack, plugged the drive back in and powered up......

And nothing.... No bootup... It didn't even feel like it spun up...
I guess its game over :\

Thanks to all for the info and help.

D

Hi, just read this.

Very sorry to hear that

Steve.
Old 26 February 2011, 13:29   #28
orange

there are some ways to try reviving. perhaps the heads are stuck to platters. so you need to give it a spin. rotate the drive and suddenly stop.
but beware, it might make some more damage. there are a lot of other methods on google.

best is of course to take it to professional service..
Old 22 November 2011, 15:25   #29
Darcey

Been a while... But some good news!

My Amiga drive was all fine and working!

In the end I bought an A600 from eBay with an existing internal HD and PICMA card and swapped the drives over and everything was there

Copied the whole drive to the flash card and plugged that into my PC. Blast from the past! Cringe / Nice / Cringe / Eeeek lol

Thanks for all the advice guys...

So for anyone in the same position as I was:

1. Don't get UAE and the various USB cables and adapters to plug into the PC
2. Buy an old amiga from ebay with an Internal HD (or set 1 up) and plug your drive in that and use a PICMA flash memory card adapter to transfer your data over.

D
Old 14 July 2014, 15:03   #30
djvernon

Unhappy Problem with A1200 40MB Quantum Go Drive connected to PC

Hi, I have a similar problem to the one earlier in this thread, where I have removed a working 40MB Quantum 'Go' Drive from my A1200 and tried to add it to WinUAE (version 2.8.1) using the 'Add Hard Drive...' option, but the drive isn't listed. I have tried for several hours and have read lots of different posts but haven't managed to work out what the exact problem is.

Please note that I am running WinUAE as administrator, on Windows 7. The drive is attached to the PC using a 2.5" IDE to USB adapter (from an external drive caddy). I have also first checked that the drive is visible to Windows by running command 'wmic diskdrive list brief', which lists the drive as '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1' (see attached wmic.png).

Looking at the resulting winuaebootlog.txt (also attached), it's clear that WinUAE is correctly ignoring the disk because it's reporting a device size of zero, i.e.:-
opening device '\\?\usbstor#disk&ven_quantum&prod_go40a&rev_#45721940a000&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'
device id string: 'QUANTUM GO40A '
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO failed with error code 1.
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO not supported, detected disk size may not be correct.
BPS=512 Cyls=0 TPC=0 SPT=0 MediaType=12
device size is zero!
(I have also run a little test program called TestHD which reports the same as WinUAE, i.e. the disk's Cylinders, Tracks per cylinder and Sectors per track all come back as 0).

I'd like to ask the following:-

1) Has anyone experienced the same problem and managed to solve it?

2) Is the problem most likely caused by the IDE to USB adapter (e.g. because it's not compatible with this old drive) or is it more likely to be the drive itself that's faulty (even though it's working in the A1200)?

3) If the IDE to USB adapter is the problem, am I best off trying an 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter instead? (e.g. like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Laptop...item2c5d8cc605

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wmic.png
Views:	83
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	40514  
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (14.2 KB, 286 views)

Old 14 July 2014, 15:35   #31
thomas

The drive is probably too old for USB. You should give that 2.5" adapter a try.
Old 14 July 2014, 20:06   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Very old drives don't seem to be compatible with (all?) USB adapters for some reason. It is not just size, any read or write attempt also fails with strange errors.
Old 15 July 2014, 11:59   #33
djvernon

Thanks for the replies Thomas and Toni.
I've borrowed one of those IDE adapters (photo attached) from a work mate this morning and this has done the trick - WinUAE now boots off the drive and works perfectly, so I've been able to copy everything off it.
So the problem was the USB adapter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25_to 35_IDE_adapter.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	40527  

Old 15 July 2014, 15:37   #34
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Pro-tip, the cheapo USB adapters can't power 2.5" drives all by themselves correctly most of the times.
You'll just hear a click and the drive will seem dead. Instead it's just a power issue

Just get a 2.5->3.5 converted with a seperate Molex connector for power and everything will be fine.
Always did that and every drive which didn't want to work when directly connected to the USB adapter did indeed work when supplied with separate power
Old 15 July 2014, 15:52   #35
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Just get a 2.5->3.5 converted with a seperate Molex connector for power and everything will be fine.
Always did that and every drive which didn't want to work when directly connected to the USB adapter did indeed work when supplied with separate power
You never tried one of those really old full-height Amiga drives (40 MB or less). They just don't work on USB, no matter how much power you feed in.
Old 15 July 2014, 16:40   #36
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You never tried one of those really old full-height Amiga drives (40 MB or less). They just don't work on USB, no matter how much power you feed in.
I remember backing up a super-old full-height Western Digital drive doing exactly that.

Can't remember the specific size though, but it was my old boss' A1200 drive. WinUAE recognized it correctly and I could HDF it with no problems.

I seem to remember it was a 40MB unit, but I could be sure of that only by checking the backup which I still have on my computer at home.
AdSense AdSense