English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 December 2010, 16:58   #41
laffer
Zone Friend

Btw tomcat, is this the last remake you'll make? Certainly understandable if that is the case after making two such *very* good quality remakes.

But if not, have you given any thought to remaking Monster Max (originally a GB game)?

It's the next (and final) isometric game the same duo made after Head over Heels... I'm currently playing it in a GB emulator here.. but this one could really (!) use a remake.
The graphics on the original GB are pretty damn bad, especially when played in a larger screen in an emulator here... and there's so much potential for cool locations in this game.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 December 2010, 19:01   #42
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hi Laffer.

First - congratulations on finishing the game with 100% Nicely done !

I am not sure if it is my final remake... we will see how much free time there will be in the future. The only remake I don't have finished and that I started is Saboteur Returns... but that one might be left like that.

About Monster Max... I have been playing it on the GB emulator too, came quite far into it, but I must say ... it didn't realy catch me as much as HoH and BatMan did...let me explain : While it has A LOT more rooms than HoH they are all very similar, no really good puzzles in them (which were the best in BatMan, HoH had some good ones, but again, not as good), the game is VERY linear - you have a choice of 3 sections per level (10 levels) and each section has 20-30 rooms to roam around, so it doesnt have that sense of exploration that HoH and BatMan have. The graphics are OK for GameBoy, but they are not that great to be honest. Also the way that you can have 2 abilities at one time might seem good for puzzles in the beginning but you normally get just the abilities you need a room before the puzzle, which makes it much easier than HoH and BatMan. Not sure if it is worth the time one would need to remake it, but will see, never say never
Old 29 December 2010, 00:53   #43
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Hi all.

Even though Jon Ritmans BatMan was never on Amiga (Head over Heels was though) I thought I would mention that I released my remake of it here :

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game/batman

Enjoy !
Have you done it by reversed engineered the Spectrum version?

Kamel
Old 29 December 2010, 10:39   #44
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Have you done it by reversed engineered the Spectrum version?
Nope, didnt even check a byte of the original code Not in HoH, not in BatMan... I did the iso3d engine before, it uses masking instead of sorting and objects made from multiple objects (which is how original worked without masking, only sorting). The original runs in approx 12 frames/second. Remake runs in 60 fps and is in twice the resolution, which means I had to make smoother animations (it has more than 10 frames more between two original frames) while keeping the structure of jumps, etc. the same so the puzzles can be solved in the same manner.
Old 02 March 2011, 21:51   #45
kamelito
Zone Friend

is the OSX version done?
Old 03 March 2011, 07:28   #46
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
is the OSX version done?
Unfortunetly the OSX porting guy hasn't come back to me yet No word for months now. The Linux version is progression nicely though and the codebase of that can be also used for OSX so we will see if we can get anyone to port that over. Unfortunetly it is all progressing much slower than it was when HoH was released
Old 03 March 2011, 14:16   #47
kamelito
Zone Friend

Well when the Linux version is done, I could build it for OSX if you have no one else.

Regards
Kamel
Old 03 March 2011, 14:17   #48
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Well when the Linux version is done, I could build it for OSX if you have no one else.

Regards
Kamel
Sure thing. I will try getting current version of the linux sources for you. Please email me on tomcat@sgn.net... thanx !
Old 03 March 2011, 22:45   #49
kamelito
Zone Friend

mail sent
Old 03 March 2011, 22:54   #50
DonAmiga

I've download and had a go Great Stuff,, looks and plays fantastic. Many Thanks
AdSense AdSense