English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01 December 2010, 12:49   #1
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Thumbs up Amiga Battle Squadron VID seen live on iPhone

Hi Amiga people

It may have your interest

Amiga Battle Squadron VID seen live on iPhone with speak from legend Amiga coder Martin Pedersen

http://cope-com.com/2010/11/30/live-...one-on-iphone/

TorbenLarsen is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 December 2010, 14:55   #2
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,616
nice

What about a release for XBox Live (pretty please)
kipper2k is offline  
Old 01 December 2010, 15:13   #3
hitchhikr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: somewhere
Posts: 361
Did i hear correctly, you kept the same gameplay ?

Dude, I'm not sure that it's a good idea, it was rather dull & repetitive with all levels showing more or the same (afair all levels had the same dull screenplay with no special events before reaching the boss and even those bosses weren't memorable), also i don't think you'll be able to get away with one single tune played through the whole game this time.

Drop shadows under relevant flying objects could be nice, and maybe using more sensible palette for some backgrounds could help (like the putrid couple of yellow/green & purple).

It may have received rave reviews on Amiga but the Genesis version wasn't that praised and not only because there was less colors or less appealing music but also because of many superior and more engaging competitors available on that console, this may be the case on the iPhone too.
hitchhikr is offline  
Old 01 December 2010, 15:27   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,941
Really looking forward to it for Android. Get it in the Market Place at a sensible price and I'll buy a copy.

Any idea why the aspect ratio is still 4:3 in landscape mode?
alexh is offline  
Old 01 December 2010, 18:11   #5
korruptor
TDI
korruptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DUNDEE
Posts: 122
Looks awesome!

I wish it wasn't tilt though. Espgaluda works so well with the reduced screen size and touch movement, it's made the iPhone my preferred choice for shooters.

Definitely getting this, though
korruptor is offline  
Old 01 December 2010, 22:09   #6
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Really looking forward to it for Android. Get it in the Market Place at a sensible price and I'll buy a copy.

Any idea why the aspect ratio is still 4:3 in landscape mode?

thanks

The basic screen setup is somewhat fixed, although we are still considering implementing wider and various screen options.
TorbenLarsen is offline  
Old 02 December 2010, 00:34   #7
Npl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vienna / Austria
Age: 38
Posts: 257
heh, I remember battlesquadron to be quite hectic with dozens of bullets surrounding you... that will likely be the time you will curse the tilting controls to hell!

Needs sticks or buttons... get it ported into a PSP-Mini ASAP

looks and especially sounds nice otherwise (just like the real thing).
Npl is offline  
Old 02 December 2010, 00:46   #8
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
heh, I remember battlesquadron to be quite hectic with dozens of bullets surrounding you... that will likely be the time you will curse the tilting controls to hell!

Needs sticks or buttons... get it ported into a PSP-Mini ASAP

looks and especially sounds nice otherwise (just like the real thing).
Thanx

Let me quote:

Quote:
Going back to the control method for a moment, we’re wondering if tilt will be the only option, or like R-Type there will be a virtual d-pad or touch system alternative in Battle Squadron ONE. Although I rarely choose tilt, it does look super-responsive and very accurate in the gameplay video, so perhaps this could be the one to convert me!
source: iphonefreak.com


Last edited by TCD; 02 December 2010 at 00:56.
TorbenLarsen is offline  
Old 03 December 2010, 15:28   #9
korruptor
TDI
korruptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DUNDEE
Posts: 122
Seriously, check out Espgaluda. Definitely the best shooter controls I've played with on the iPhone. The touch system really does work
korruptor is offline  
Old 03 December 2010, 18:20   #10
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by korruptor View Post
Seriously, check out Espgaluda. Definitely the best shooter controls I've played with on the iPhone. The touch system really does work
Indeed it does. A reason to take game controls very seriously on smartphones.
TorbenLarsen is offline  
Old 03 December 2010, 21:05   #11
Photon
Moderator
Photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hult / Sweden
Posts: 4,452
Long-time fan here

CONGRAT

on a job well done!

Would you divulge what framework /devchain you use? Looks extremely faithful to the original.

I still think the controls on smartphones have been and likely "since touchscreen" ever will be "not very" suited for classic joystick/joypad controlled, or even FPS-control-like gametypes. Racing games work with tilt+thumb-touch to a degree, but it must be said that zero buttons is a bit fiddly for any game.

Liked your website too, I like it when there's some design-style on a website. BTW, thanks for reminding me to enable snow on one of mine

And apparently I was the first to thumb up the Youtube video, tsk tsk
Photon is offline  
Old 03 December 2010, 22:13   #12
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Long-time fan here

CONGRAT

on a job well done!

Would you divulge what framework /devchain you use? Looks extremely faithful to the original.

I still think the controls on smartphones have been and likely "since touchscreen" ever will be "not very" suited for classic joystick/joypad controlled, or even FPS-control-like gametypes. Racing games work with tilt+thumb-touch to a degree, but it must be said that zero buttons is a bit fiddly for any game.

Liked your website too, I like it when there's some design-style on a website. BTW, thanks for reminding me to enable snow on one of mine

And apparently I was the first to thumb up the Youtube video, tsk tsk
Thanks Photon really appreciate it.

The framework is all done in c/c++ code and in accordens with Apple iOS 4.2 SDK rules. Taking the original Amiga 68000 code and converting it to the c/c++ framework.

Why not challenge the legendary Amiga coder Martin Pedersen to make a "how to Video", from Amiga to iPhone

ooh by the way, my friend
If you do not already have a ticket to this event, I am sure we can find a way.

Cope-Com at Datastorm 2011
http://datastorm.se

Best of Greetings


Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 03 December 2010 at 22:31.
TorbenLarsen is offline  
Old 06 December 2010, 20:31   #13
Photon
Moderator
Photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hult / Sweden
Posts: 4,452
hehe, thanks Do you mean a ticket for the party? I'm already registered but ask Mr. Spiv, the flying Finnish coder, he was too late and I know he wants to come.
Photon is offline  
Old 10 December 2010, 12:21   #14
plasmatron
Zone Friend
plasmatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 41
Posts: 948
I don`t care about babyphones sorry.
Love Hybris and Battle Squadron to the bone One of the best shmups ever.
But what on earth happend to the frenetic gameplay?
On the Amiga I had always a major adrenalin rush during game.
But the new iphone version looks weak and not very thrilling

I understand that you don`t make any new games for the Amiga, but why not porting/ making new games for something serious like XBLA?
Sorry I don`t get it.
plasmatron is offline  
Old 12 December 2010, 17:32   #15
TorbenLarsen
Registered User
TorbenLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron View Post
I don`t care about babyphones sorry.
Love Hybris and Battle Squadron to the bone One of the best shmups ever.
But what on earth happend to the frenetic gameplay?
On the Amiga I had always a major adrenalin rush during game.
But the new iphone version looks weak and not very thrilling

I understand that you don`t make any new games for the Amiga, but why not porting/ making new games for something serious like XBLA?
Sorry I don`t get it.
I think most people with smartphones and playing Battle Squadron ONE on it, will be pleasantly surprised to see how well the controls really have worked out.
TorbenLarsen is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LIVE iPad DEMO - Battle Squadron ONE TorbenLarsen Retrogaming General Discussion 12 21 March 2011 01:03
SVIV vs Battle Squadron Angus Retrogaming General Discussion 2 27 June 2008 17:59
Battle Squadron demo kamelito request.Demos 2 24 March 2007 17:24
Battle squadron BuckyB project.Sprites 7 02 November 2005 17:07
Battle Squadron IronMaiden support.Games 3 16 August 2005 08:34

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.28703 seconds with 11 queries