English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 November 2010, 19:46   #1
gibs
Banned

The Amiga case now on commodore USA

Hey guyz,

As you don't seems to see the update, I have created another thread.

The case I was showing you a few days ago is on the commodore usa website : http://www.commodoreusa.net/Amiga.html
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 November 2010, 20:34   #2
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Doesn't look too bad, imho. No, really. Somehow inspired by the new TRON movie.
But why is the DVD-ROM inside the keyboard when there is a separate case?

P.S.: "The dream is over." I like their attitude.
Old 05 November 2010, 22:46   #3
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

I still think Marko Hirv's original 'fantasy' creation is the best. All the bling of that new design is just too OTT...

USB2 should be scrapped. Stick 3 in there. Oh and some e-SATA ports.
Old 06 November 2010, 06:44   #4
Cammy

I don't think anyone will ever design a computer case and keyboard as perfect as the A1200. You can take a couple of its nice features and add them to something else, but it will still only be half as good as what it's trying to copy. They really just nailed it with the original design, it hasn't become dated at all in 18 years (apart from the floppy drive maybe).
Old 06 November 2010, 17:49   #5
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I don't think anyone will ever design a computer case and keyboard as perfect as the A1200.
Joni Ive could do better
A lot better !!

But he won't
Old 07 November 2010, 02:00   #6
Cammy

BULLSHIT!

I can design something that looks like a smooth, flat square too. That seems all Jonathan knows how to do.

Somehow he has the IT world brainwashed into thinking that's the pinnacle of case design.
Old 07 November 2010, 02:35   #7
Photon

Fantasy design has a retro feel to it, I don't mind the A1000/A3000/A2000 designs actually. Montana designs seem a mix between gamer LED keyboard and Xbox. Not that consolizing it would be a bad idea per se.

Amiga = *either* wedge all-in-one *or* desktop with separate keyboard, for me.

But I don't really mind if they make a really cool design, if it doesn't have blitter / copper / 68000, it's not an Amiga anyway.

But I wouldn't hate an Amiga lookalike PC. On PC, you can only go so far with 'tower plexi and LED-chains'.
Old 07 November 2010, 03:57   #8
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
BULLSHIT!

I can design something that looks like a smooth, flat square too. That seems all Jonathan knows how to do.

Somehow he has the IT world brainwashed into thinking that's the pinnacle of case design.
You're simply awesome Cammy!
Old 07 November 2010, 04:09   #9
Siggy999

I put a PC in a cardboard box once for want of a case.

It was awesome.

Next time I do it, I might write 'Amiga' on it with a sharpie.
Old 08 November 2010, 12:08   #10
gibs
Banned

@Cammy lol! show us what you're able to do ! I think people would be interested.
Do you have some draft ? what have you done so far ?
Old 08 November 2010, 22:59   #11
Photon

gibs, it's quite possible to critique a movie, even if you're neither a movie critic nor director. If you know what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
But why is the DVD-ROM inside the keyboard when there is a separate case?

P.S.: "The dream is over." I like their attitude.
That was Mr. Montana's tagline, I guess? Edit: And I can't understand that either, thought it was two models at first.
Old 10 November 2010, 11:47   #12
amigang

like you lot I have been following CommodoreUSA with interest and I was a bit sadden to see these designs go to them. So I decided why not make a few of my own fantasy cases, I only work in Google Sketchup because it so easy to use, but any way I had to try and come up with a design that doesn't look like something C=USA already has just in case they moan, so here is my first attempt. PS: this is a fantasy design, which is why its got things like wifi, its in a slim case, features a track pad, has hdmi etc. just trying to show that there are more designs/different looks out their to use.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...d28fb6&ct=hprm

Last edited by amigang; 10 November 2010 at 11:56.
Old 10 November 2010, 12:34   #13
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post
like you lot I have been following CommodoreUSA with interest and I was a bit sadden to see these designs go to them. So I decided why not make a few of my own fantasy cases, I only work in Google Sketchup because it so easy to use, but any way I had to try and come up with a design that doesn't look like something C=USA already has just in case they moan, so here is my first attempt. PS: this is a fantasy design, which is why its got things like wifi, its in a slim case, features a track pad, has hdmi etc. just trying to show that there are more designs/different looks out their to use.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...d28fb6&ct=hprm

Hey there amigang,

you want to patent that design before it gets copied by CommodoreUSA The idea of the touchpad on the right hand side is awesome especially for those of us who are right handed of course. It puts that crap idea of theirs into perspective when you consider that this has been drawn with a simple program in comparison to their 3d rendered model. Whether either models would be workable is another story, but I like your design more than the other stuff that has been offered
Old 10 November 2010, 12:36   #14
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
The idea of the touchpad on the right hand side is awesome especially for those of us who are right handed of course.
Don't know if it was intended, but that made my day
Old 10 November 2010, 12:41   #15
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Don't know if it was intended, but that made my day
no it was just save the left handed folk from being alienated
Old 10 November 2010, 13:32   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Firstly: Commodore USA
There wont be a NEW product released by CommodoreUSA - they never have and never will, they are nothing more than pomp and hot-air! The biggest irony at the moment is that they are attempting to trade on a trade mark that isn't/wasn't theirs - classic!

And now, the said trademarks are for sale?! HA! this is all such bollocks

Design
Now, I honestly have to ask what the hell is with the black uninspired boxes?

I have seen more design from a grub worm as it makes it home in a bit of wood!

If I had submitted that for my Art exam I would of failed - miserably. Simply put "F-" dont bother trying again.

Yoz Montana

"I wonder if he knows that Commodore USA have poached his work?"

The keyboard is very atractive, but I prefer the use of a slot-loading unit - The base unit on the other hand looks like an uninspired PS3 =/

great effort would like to see more =)

Marko Hiriv

"frstly I must ask WHY this image is on their site? - it has nothing to do with them, as they are not going to make a machine like that, and I am pretty sure Marko was not consulted before his work was used."

Now, the fantasy Amiga is nothing short of amazing, every time I view it I am beset with inspiration. If ever the Natami Team want a base construct - this would the chassis I would want them to choose.

Natami Concept
The Natami one shown in this thread looks flimsy and a little cheap - but that could just be google sketchup talking

colouring would be two-tone bottom and top...

It would be awesome if they use something designed by Marko Hirov - perhaps in classic Amiga white and a second tone thats the colour of the control keys or the classic black and chrome would be nice too.
Old 10 November 2010, 14:38   #17
amigang

A quick re texture and quickly pulled keyboard off my a1200 case and I think it shows off the design a little better. thanks for the comments so far

But I do wish I had the know how to produce something like this in a 3d/art program
http://members.multimania.co.uk/lordbanter/56.jpg

Last edited by amigang; 10 November 2010 at 14:53.
Old 10 November 2010, 15:29   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@amigang

That certainly looks better (the middle is my favourite of the three) - but a little depth is needed... not much mind - just enough for a slot-loading optical drive - a sligh angle would be better for the typist / coder too lol.

Now the photo-image is very cleverly done, however the artist negates the fact the people would have to USE that keybaord - OMG ... its ghastly (truly sorry about saying that but, really!?.... the keyboard has to be used, not just looked at)

Now to make images like that have a chat with bLazer he did some very inspired work on some backdrops

I will be honest I found google-sketchup difficult compaired to most 3D rendering programs.

Have a look at a [ Show youtube player ] - Maya is good - its a little full-on at first but it will reward your efforts I promise =)
Old 10 November 2010, 21:52   #19
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I quite like Amigang's design and if the keyboard had a bit of a "Sony Vaio laptop" vibe to it, that could be quite usable and chic. Make it boot from an SSD drive and just about silent in operation and you'd have my vote in a flash.
Old 10 November 2010, 23:43   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post
A quick re texture and quickly pulled keyboard off my a1200 case and I think it shows off the design a little better. thanks for the comments so far

But I do wish I had the know how to produce something like this in a 3d/art program
http://members.multimania.co.uk/lordbanter/56.jpg

They look really nice! Wonderful idea the right hand touchpad is great, and it will be the best idea for new designs (I believe)
AdSense AdSense