English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 August 2012, 00:58   #1601
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Just to make my story short, during the day i swap 3 lcd with indivision aga... none of them seems to work... the picture is totally useless... seems like the update is the only solution till then back to trusty old 1084.....
Have you tried adjusting the "clock" and "phase" settings in your TFT monitors' menus? By adjusting those you might find you can reduce the banding effect - certainly worth a try.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 August 2012, 01:30   #1602
BarryB
Amigaholic

Just ordered an Indivision OCS/ECS for my A500, at least the pain of waiting for the AGA MKII software will be eased as this should work straight away on my VGA monitor.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:15   #1603
chocolate_boy

Any ETA on the software Jens/other developer?
Old 20 August 2012, 13:22   #1604
Srdjan

Send a message via Skype™ to Srdjan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Have you tried adjusting the "clock" and "phase" settings in your TFT monitors' menus? By adjusting those you might find you can reduce the banding effect - certainly worth a try.
No i haven't cos i only have lcd monitors 4 of them .. and none seems to work... and yes all 4 have Vga input..,,
Old 20 August 2012, 13:37   #1605
Mr B

Quote:
No i haven't cos i only have lcd monitors 4 of them .. and none seems to work... and yes all 4 have Vga input..,,
It's on the screen you used that gave this result he wanted you to try phase and pixel clock changes:
Quote:
Just received one from Vesalia, first i plugged it into my "working A1200", with blizz 1230 IV, 4 way Ide and 4gb cf card, the picture was full of vertical lines,after i stripped Amiga to only motherboard and the picture was the same.
As i said tho, i sort of doubt it will do you any good. You'll have to, like the rest of us, wait for Jens to release the software that belongs to the kit.
Old 20 August 2012, 15:09   #1606
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigarobbo View Post
Well, good for him, but any updates when he'll start on writing the software?

Given that the programmer is returning from dealing with a family crisis, that's a little bit 'off' as a comment.

And Jens repeatedly stated 'buy this for what it does now, not what it might do in the future'.

We're all enthusiasts here, and we all want the same thing. No-one will be needing the software for a life or death scenario, so it seems a little bit wrong to demand action, smilies or no smilies.
Old 20 August 2012, 16:30   #1607
1time
Amiga Lover

chiark.. i do not agree with you.. A estimated date is needed. Even if it is 2013.
Old 20 August 2012, 17:02   #1608
Leffmann

I would just return it. Since it's not working adequately you should be reimbursed in full, including shipping costs, and should the firmware ever be finished then you can just buy the product again. If you wait too long then you may not be able to get your money back, and you risk being stuck with a faulty product.
Old 20 August 2012, 18:08   #1609
Yarc

An estimate would be nice.

We all know that it was released before the software was ready, and to some extent must accept non-working units until it's completed. However, there has to be an acceptible delay to us as paying customers. So far, I am only slightly niggled, not so much with the lack of software, but more with the lack of feedback. I appreciate that the developer had family health issues, and that also, we are using old hardware and have to accept what is available for it. Nonetheless, an estimate (or guesstimate when it comes to software development) would be appreciated.
Old 20 August 2012, 23:13   #1610
PopoCop

I agree, estimated date is very important. If it's few weeks - I would wait. But if it's few months - I wouldn't.
Old 21 August 2012, 01:19   #1611
robinsonb5

Quote:
Yeah I know - check the menus on those monitors - most of them allow you to adjust the phase and clock. It's worth a try, even if the likelihood is that it won't help much.

As I understand it, the main problem here is that LCD/TFT monitors have preconceived notions about how many horizontal pixels they should expect for a given scanrate. Scandoubled Amiga resolutions don't match up with those assumptions, so you end up with an interference pattern between the monitor sampling the pixels and the scandoubler outputting them, which manifests as stripes.
TFT monitors normally automatically adjust the sampling rate (clock) to the incoming signal the first time they encounter a given screenmode, but if they're expecting something wildly different from what the Amiga provides they can't do that. Thus, giving the monitor a hint by adjusting the "clock" setting might help (if the OSD controls give you enough latitude). I've certainly been able to improve (but not perfect) the native Amiga display on my Dell U2311 that way. (One of the few monitors that doesn't need a scandoubler.)
Old 21 August 2012, 02:26   #1612
NovaCoder

I'm quite lucky in that at least my LCD monitor displays a picture in all screen modes, WB looks perfect thanks to the SuperPlus 800x600 driver but games etc are not centered as shown in this [ Show youtube player ]

I've also noticed issues with some demos that don't look right (which could be an 060 issue) and the pause between switching screen modes means it skips HAM8 picture transitions in most demos.

I'm sure all of these issues will get fixed up by the long awaited core update

Last edited by NovaCoder; 21 August 2012 at 06:31.
Old 21 August 2012, 11:14   #1613
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I have recieved a cheap TFT monitor this week that shows the "stripes" problem on the analogue VGA input. It appears like this monitor reacts to the open DVI signals on the cable. I'll try to disable the digital outputs with a special core that you guys can flash, so only analogue output will be enabled.

If this helps for more than one customer, it'll be a config-option.

Jens
This is the reason VGA monitors may have the 'vertical stripes' problem.
Old 21 August 2012, 15:15   #1614
Schoenfeld
electricky.

"guesstimate" won't change anything on the release date.

"programming documentations" won't help, as the config tool alone won't help. It's a combination of new core and config tool. The current core has all values hard-coded.

We're working on it - all persons involved, meaning the man who writes the tool, the man who writes the core(s) and me, who is doing all the other work. It is currently impossible to say when it's going to be finished. Again, if you're not satisfied with the product, please return it to your reseller and I'll make sure that you'll get a refund. Stock of the Flickerfixer is getting short, and I will most probably raise the price next month in order to slow down sales.

1time: Thanks for the hint. There are pages on my harddrive that haven't been uploaded yet. Need to push my admin.

Jens
Old 21 August 2012, 15:37   #1615
Yarc

I would not expect a guesstimate to change the release date! It would serve to give us some idea how long we must wait.
Old 21 August 2012, 16:34   #1616
Mr B

Isn't it enough that there is a promise to deliver? As long as Jens isn't canceling the software, i'm keeping the hardware. If he does cancel, We are going to need to "have the talk". He already said anyone not happy with the purchase can send it back for a refund. I'd expect him to honor that for every buyer since release, until the day the software is released.
Old 21 August 2012, 19:00   #1617
Yarc

I think my comment has been taken the wrong way. I don't want to return the item, just want more feedback on progress, that is all. We did not find out until very recently that release was delayed due to family issues. This delay is acceptable, of course, but it would have been nice to have read something such as "Progress delayed due to ...".

There was an initial estimate I read in the short PDF manual (http://www.jschoenfeld.com/products/AGAmk2_e.htm) which states:

"You do not need a driver to operate Indivision AGA, therefore we haven't included a disk.
For adjustments, general configuration and possible flash-updates, we'll be providing
programs and documentation on our website www.icomp.de under „support“ starting
may/june 2012."

So, feedback would have extended my -and probably others on this forum - expectation of possible release date from May/June 2012.

It's a great product, as is the ACA-1231/42 accelerator I bought from Vesalia. Also, it's great that we can get new products for old computers. But I see nothing wrong in expecting a little feedback on development progress, especially if something unforseen crops up that will hinder progress and leave us wondering when we might get to use our wonderful new addon. I'm sure a little more information would have prevented some of the comments made by others on this forum.

That is all I will say on the subject. If more feedback is given, then all the better. If not, then I don't have much option but to sit waiting in silence.
Old 21 August 2012, 21:03   #1618
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I didn't have much option either - other than to wait for feedback from the programmer, who fell off the face of the earth - at least from a communication point of view. I already started looking for someone else to do it when I got the news that he spends a considerable number of hours per day driving between his home and the hospital.

With that limited information, I did not want to go public and panic everyone. On top of that, I needed his OK to mention the details of the delay, otherwise I would have had to pass the info "I don't know", which would have caused even more uncertainty in the community. Imagine comments like "if even Jens doesn't know, how can he sell..?"

Fact is, "Plan B" was already running when the original programmer got back to me with a preview of the GUI and some suggestions for the data layout in the 4K config area of the flash chip. "Plan B" is now shelved and "Plan A" is back on track.

Again, it's a combined effort of three people in totally different locations, and we're doing our best to make the screenmode settings as flexible as possible. The configuration area consists of 32 slots with over 170 configuration bits per slot (one slot per screenmode, so your output configuration can even be different for "interlace vs. non-interlace"). The data format must be somewhat future-proof, and the config tool must take care of some simplifications, otherwise you'll be swamped by the number of configuration fields and screenmodes.

A long-term target is to have preset-configurations for common monitors and panel sizes, so you don't have to fiddle with sync length, front porch, back porch, pixel clock and padding-pixels/lines in order to hit the sweet spot of "single pixel control".

Jens
Old 21 August 2012, 21:40   #1619
Yarc

I really appreciate and respect your knowledge. I also appreciate the difficulties of working remotely. Thank you for providing the information concering the technicalities of the software, it is very interesting! It does make owning the AGA Mk2 all the more exciting to me at least, knowing a little about what is going on. It is certainly a complicated piece of software to write having to handle so many configurations in a way that is user friendly. The wrong settings could easily damage some monitors.
Old 21 August 2012, 23:01   #1620
BarryB
Amigaholic

Well I got my Indi ECS today and it's now fitted in my A500, just got to play with the config tool to get my monitor setup. Also a big thanks to Amigakit for the fantastic delivery on this: ordered Saturday and arrived today

So now I can wait for the AGA MKII config tool/cores to be released as I now have something that can be used with my VGA monitor without giving me vertical stripes
AdSense AdSense