English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 May 2012, 03:10   #781
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I found the installation pictures for the fastATA, ..

http://www.elbox.com/ma/fa_1200_fold..._1200_qig.html

Not sure if this is the correct version, (assuming it is). So is the problem where the board sits over the roms or elsewhere?
I've never had an Indi, but the problem seems to be in the other part, where the MK2 is.
And I think all the fast ata's have the same size.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 May 2012, 03:17   #782
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've never had an Indi, but the problem seems to be in the other part, where the MK2 is.
And I think all the fast ata's have the same size.

Would the fastata fit if an adapter slid the board over to the right (toward the floppy drive ?
Old 04 May 2012, 03:25   #783
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Would the fastata fit if an adapter slid the board over to the right (toward the floppy drive ?
If you put an adapter you will rise it, and it seems that it isn't necessary to move it as long as you'll rise it enough (not as much as 2 risers).
Old 04 May 2012, 03:28   #784
kipper2k

Quote:
If you put an adapter you will rise it, and it seems that it isn't necessary to move it as long as you'll rise it enough (not as much as 2 risers).
Is the keyboard hitting the top of the rom chips, is that the choke point so to speak. ? mabbe i'll have to get me a fastata lol so i can check it
Old 04 May 2012, 03:33   #785
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's imposible to think in a solution without having both together. Now I was thinking that you could make also an adapter not rised but desoldering the kickstarts sockets and soldering it there, moving the Fast Ata to the left, but I don't have the Amiga near and can be telling nonsenses... and surely I am.

Better to wait for some photos from Diablothe2nd...

EDIT: !!! You can't move it to the right, there is the clockport there. Just what diablothe2nd said, a 1 and a half riser would be the solution.

See this photos http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com.e...t-support.html

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 May 2012 at 10:29.
Old 04 May 2012, 03:35   #786
kipper2k

Quote:
It's imposible to think in a solution without having both together. Now I was thinking that you could make also an adapter not rised but desoldering the kickstarts sockets and soldering it there, moving the Fast Ata to the left, but I don't have the Amiga near and can be telling nonsenses... and surely I am.

So from what i am reading the problem is the fact that the fastata cannot sit properly because of the 20 pin connector of the MKII, BUT!, you cannot increase the height of the fastata with another rom socket as that will make the fastata sit too high and hit the keyboard?...
is that right ?
Old 04 May 2012, 03:56   #787
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I'm thinking how to rise it 1&half. I'm uploading a photo. Edit: No, sorry, it's the same as 2 risers. No idea how to make it, the only thing would be to file both risers a little, one by the upper side, another by the pins (and to bend the pins under the fast ata and to file the upper side of the Indi connector). If that doesn't work, to solder the cables to the Indi...

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 May 2012 at 14:11.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:31   #788
diablothe2nd

Quote:
So from what i am reading the problem is the fact that the fastata cannot sit properly because of the 20 pin connector of the MKII, BUT!, you cannot increase the height of the fastata with another rom socket as that will make the fastata sit too high and hit the keyboard?...
is that right ?
yup you got it.

you cannot move the ata to the right as the clockport will get covered, you cant move it to the left because of the gayle socket. you cant move it backwards because you still have the indi connector problem.

lemmie have a few coffees and wake myself up. i've got all the bits i need now and although it's a dull day again i should be able to get some closeups with my phone cam.

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 04 May 2012 at 10:39.
Old 04 May 2012, 10:52   #789
vulture

@kipper2k

A different question: For tower users like me who also have a mediator installed and the risers would get in its way, a good solution would be if some kind of cable rom extenders could be constructed (10-15cm long) to relocate the entire fastata completely out of the way. Do you think that'd be possible?

Edit: yes, all fastata models have the sime size/method of installation/placement
Old 04 May 2012, 11:55   #790
diablothe2nd

Ok here comes a bunch of photos for kipper

ignore the timestamp, i haven't had my cell phone switched on since that date since i never use it

I've included my scale ruler to hopefully make dimensions easier for you

all these photos were taken with two risers installed.

the line i've drawn on the next image is where the connector clashes up to. i'll need to flatten these pins too:

this shows the modification to the clamp on the cable connector, i took the clamp off and shaved a little off it so the cable comes straight out rather than up

this just shows the modification working as intended

this shows where the connector is fouling on the remaining unflattened pins of the fastata even with two risers

these are with the connector pulled clear of the remaining pins. the ata sits properly without warping now:

second post with more coming (15 image cap, sadly)

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 04 May 2012 at 12:17.
Old 04 May 2012, 11:56   #791
diablothe2nd

here's the second batch

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 04 May 2012 at 12:03.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:09   #792
roy bates

i think your better off cutting the pins flush on the fastata than bending them over like that.

just saying,as it might be a problem later on.

all the best.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:13   #793
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
i think your better off cutting the pins flush on the fastata than bending them over like that.

just saying,as it might be a problem later on.

all the best.
i'm giving that serious consideration. need to purchase a nice set of pincer snips for that though so i dont risk breaking anything.

for those that are or have just viewed my photo posts, it maybe worth you doing a hard page refresh (Ctrl+F5) to clear up my dodgy image coding and to update the posts with the text i just added.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:17   #794
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Apart of the problem with the connector, if you use just one set of risers, won't the pins under the fast ata make contact with the Indi?
Old 04 May 2012, 12:19   #795
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Apart of the problem with the connector, if you use just one set of risers, won't the pins under the fast ata make contact with the Indi?
correct.

this is why i'm thinking a rise of about the height of 1.5 rom sockets. not so high to foul on the keyboard, but not low enough to foul on the indi.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:23   #796
roy bates

it may be a good idea to put someting in between the indi and the fastata to stop them touching as well.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:26   #797
diablothe2nd

Quote:
it may be a good idea to put someting in between the indi and the fastata to stop them touching as well.
agreed.

i think what i'll need to do is snip off ALL the pins under the ata, then hot glue a thin plastic sheet to the bottom of it to make dammed sure there's no shorting.

all this effort! crazy stuff!

i'm thinking a hole in the back of the keyboard maybe the only option, including pin snipping of some or all of the ata, as getting the height of the ata 1.5 times the height of a rom socket will likely be a tough problem to fix
Old 04 May 2012, 12:26   #798
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Perhaps you can file both risers with sandpaper, just a little.
You can also completely bend the pins under the fast ata if there isn't a trace where they make contact.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:32   #799
roy bates

it doesent look like there would be much room under the fastata anyway from the pics,the idc header stops it from getting any closer from the look of it.so it looks like there is a need for extra hieght on the rom socket for them to clear.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:34   #800
diablothe2nd

Quote:
it doesent look like there would be much room under the fastata anyway from the pics,the idc header stops it from getting any closer from the look of it.so it looks like there is a need for extra hieght on the rom socket for them to clear.
there's a millimeter or two to be gained from snipping the pins off around the idc. they are only bent over atm and aren't completely flat either.
AdSense AdSense