English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 February 2007, 07:47   #141
Hohiro

Competition pro, what else. My very first one from late 80s still works nowadays.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 May 2007, 16:17   #142
s2325
Zone Friend

I love those PC joysticks. For Amiga I have 3 different joysticks but two of them are in poor condition (they have 19 years now).
Old 12 May 2007, 19:54   #143
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

The 6 button Mega Drive pad & Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller.
Old 12 May 2007, 22:21   #144
Dr. Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
The 6 button Mega Drive pad & Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller.
yeah those work also, i always used to have the 3 button version
Old 12 May 2007, 22:34   #145
krutknut

Got one of these Wico sticks. It's particularly good for short games.

I have a tac-2 as well, that I need to restore.
Old 13 May 2007, 00:22   #146
hamster
Zone Friend

I had the zip stick and the bug. I found the bug version I had very fragile and flakey although some people swore by it (and at it)
Old 13 May 2007, 00:23   #147
hamster
Zone Friend

Oops... forgot to say... right now I have a usb Competition Pro - some folk say there is a delay to response on screen with it (very very slight)... but it's pretty good for shmups!
Old 13 May 2007, 00:27   #148
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster
Oops... forgot to say... right now I have a usb Competition Pro - some folk say there is a delay to response on screen with it (very very slight)... but it's pretty good for shmups!
But the new Competition Pro Retro is much better than the PC USB version. The best stick for a real machine.

http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f1452514...e72173050404b0
Old 13 May 2007, 01:50   #149
hamster
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
But the new Competition Pro Retro is much better than the PC USB version. The best stick for a real machine.

Really? Ok... I got mine ooooh 2 years ago by now. So you really reckon this newer version is better? Could be an excuse for me to have 2 player games on the same pc.
Old 13 May 2007, 01:51   #150
hamster
Zone Friend

Thanks Retro-Nerd.... I read that real slow and yes... they really single out the 2004 version... nice!
Old 16 May 2007, 18:21   #151
Saracen
Lost In The 80's

Aaah the old favoured joystick.

...Zipstick all the way baby!!!

I recently bought 2 dirt cheap on Ebay for £6 and one had a 4 way connector attached to it.

Yeah real frickin' funny.
If I had 4 friends when I had my Amiga, I wouldn't have been sitting in front of the damned thing.
I'd have been out, having fun and doing the sex type thing...or something.

Anyway, my old Zipstick lasted for years and I almost cried when it died.
I came "this" close to buying one at the old Hackney boot market but didn't think it'd be that hard to get another - 8 years and many failed auctions later, I can now carry on with Kick Off 2....which I have since found out, doesn't work on the Amiga 1200 I bought from Ebay.
I guess I'll have to dig out my A500's now!

While I'm on a roll talking bollocks, I used to have this massive joystick pad with about 4 or 6 suction pads that you'd slam on the desk so it'd stick and it had a shit load of rapid fire switches and buttons on the sides.
Such an expensive piece of shit: one session on Panza Kick Boxing and I tore the bastard thing apart....
Old 16 May 2007, 19:58   #152
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd

But is this the usb one with the lead changed over to an amiga?
Old 22 August 2016, 23:27   #153
Swevicus

Send a message via Skype™ to Swevicus
In no particular order: Suncom TAC 2, Powerplay Cruiser, and for 2-button games, I used either a QuickShot Maverick (microswitch version) or a Competition Pro Star/Star Extra.
Old 25 August 2016, 01:00   #154
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

My favourite Amiga joysticks are:

1) Suzo The Arcade - Excellent built quality and very robust micro-switches. Suzo made sticks for the real arcades as well, so this was bound to be good - and it is. It's an excellent product all round. Gives an excellent vibe while playing. It's a 1 button joystick, though, even on the Pro Competition form.

2) QuickShot Maverick 1M QS-138F - A 2 button arcade-like joystick with the handle on the left side and the buttons on the right side, like a real arcade. Not as well made as the Suzo or the Zip Stick but quite OK nevertheless. It's the one I end up using the most because it gives me a vibe very close to the one I had when I played the arcades. The QS-138F is micro-switched while the QS-128F is membrane. I have both and I can safely say that the micro-switched gives a much better sense of control and quality.

3) Super Pro Zip Stick - Basically just like a Competition Pro (which I also own) but, in my opinion, better made. It's more robust, has suction cups, auto-fire and the micro-switches seem more resistant than the Competition Pro's. The yellow square buttons aren't as arcadish as the Competition Pro's red round ones, but otherwise the Zip Stick is better. It's a marginal win and down to personal taste, so - naturally - the Kempston Competition Pro can be considered one of the Amiga's best joysticks as well. Both are 1 button joysticks, though.

When I was younger, back in the early 90's, I valued those "jet fighter yokes" over the arcade ones (how foolish of me) and I had the QuickShot Python 1 QS-137F, which is also a 2 button micro-switched joystick with auto-fire function, and a Logic3 DeltaRay, also a 2 button micro-switched joystick with auto-fire function. The QuickShot I bought in 1990 for my original Amiga and used it so much that I ended up busting it. The Logic3 was bought somewhere between 1992 and 1993 (can't recall well now) and it's still as new, despite seeing a lot of action. I also had a Cheetah Star Probe that I remember ruining while playing SWOS. It wasn't as good as the other two I mentioned, not because it was of lower quality (it wasn't) but because I didn't like the handle and the sense of grip. I have recently bought a Python 1 QS-137F for nostalgia sake, even though I now prefer arcade-like joysticks.

As for gamepads, I have to agree: SEGA made the best ones. I have a genuine 3 button MegaFire (regular SEGA MegaDrive pad with auto-fire function) and it's great. The built quality is astounding and its resilience seems bullet proof. I also had a Logic3 SpeedPad for MegaDrive that works on the Amiga as a full 2 button pad with auto-fire and it's also a high-quality product that fits very well on our hands. I also have a MATT Boomerang B603 (also a 2 button with auto-fire function pad) that I bought recently but it's nowhere near as good as the aforementioned two.

Having said all this about DB9 peripherals, I must say that I use USB joysticks and gamepads on most of my Amigas now, tough...
Old 25 August 2016, 01:20   #155
Swevicus

The USB Competition Pro sucks - I've had one for 7 years now and it's STILL stiffer than the Suzo Arcade despite hours of countless play. It hurts my arm just using it. The lag is more noticeable when playing Decathlon-esque games (although I cheat on the Amiga by plugging in a mouse instead of a joystick and shaking it left and right). It's very light and slightly flimsy. Lesson learned: The beauty in this joystick (USB version) is only skin deep.
Old 26 August 2016, 02:48   #156
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have one of those:

This is freaking awesome. I got as a xmas gift from a friend.

Now what makes it awesome is that its built to be modded (lots of free space inside it, and lots of spaces to put bolts in there), and it uses Sanwa parts for everything. That's the one I am looking forward to mod and make it an Amiga and MSX controller at the same time with a switch

Of course, it has the problem of being HUGE... but it's awesome.

I also believe its freaking expensive, and it's probably cheaper to build a sanwa stick yourself (though the quality of the build here is awesome), but as I got this one as a gift, I didn't check the prices
Old 03 September 2016, 01:57   #157
Swevicus

I'd just like to add the Suzo Arcade (the original model) to the list. Sure, it looks strange with its kettle-shaped base, but it's damn near indestructible. If you have a version which has a leaf switch for the fire button, then I recommend desoldering it and soldering a microswitch in its place (miniature long lever microswitch - the lever has to be bent at a right angle twice to form an S-shaped blade for the button to activate the microswitch).
Old 03 September 2016, 02:54   #158
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
My favourite joystick is the ¨rare¨ Quickshot Chimera III (made for the Megadrive). It was innovative and different.

The simple question is: Has anybody here tried it? Because it's the best joystick ever. Simple as that.

I just need one guy complaining something about it. Well, it's in fact the worse to smash it to its sides in games like Decathon or related, but the best for the rest of games.

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 September 2016 at 02:59.
Old 03 September 2016, 03:12   #159
Swevicus

It is one of the weirdest joysticks I've ever used - it's not bad for games requiring precise movements or for bullet hell marathons, but I'd avoid it for Decathlon-esque offerings. It's an OK controller.
Old 03 September 2016, 22:41   #160
Swevicus

I have an update about the Suzo Arcade - its kettle-shaped base makes it somewhat unstable and while it's a good, responsive, and well-built controller, the weird base lets it down for me. It's incredibly durable and reliable, though.
AdSense AdSense