English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 November 2010, 11:46   #81
mully

Finding that the game design makes no allowance for my own incompetence. Case in point, Captive, in which, and after many attempts, on landing on the first planet, I cannot move an inch without falling into the pool and self-destructing.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 November 2010, 13:43   #82
vidarh

My biggest hate is when games don't let you reset/restart a new game quickly preferably without loading.

It's not so bad if there's a continue option, but especially for really hard games, I'll often know right away when I've messed up and need to restart if I'm going to have any chance at getting further... So I can either waste time losing life after life, wait for some loading and have to pass by the high score screen, wait for some more loading for the game to start again, or I could've been allowed to press a button to start a new game instantly...

In a similar vein: Cut scenes, intros or any other non-essential game screen that you can't skip or bypass... They're cute the first time around, and maybe the third, but after a while I just want to get to the action.
Old 03 December 2010, 00:18   #83
s2325
Zone Friend

In Grid Start http://hol.abime.net/2799 your (too big) car will explode if car from behind touch you, you never know when.
Old 03 December 2010, 09:50   #84
mombasajoe

1. Excessive Disk-changing in Moonstone
2. Lotus. Computer drivers donīt need pitstops
3. Games without gamesave/password option
4. Special copy protections (page xxx, word xxx, line xxx)
Old 30 March 2012, 20:55   #85
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Almost invisible spikes in good Dizzy clone Gate 2 Freedom http://hol.abime.net/2702
gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 April 2012, 11:56   #86
Patarival

I am generally very forgiving. There isn't much a game can do to annoy me.

But, what I really don't like is - wait for it -

Multiple Endings

I hate that. It's okay when there is one ending for playing a good character and one for playing an evil one (as I NEVER play evil) but I hate it when a game has multiple ending based on some hidden things you do or whatnot.

Also, in the same vein:

Branching Paths

I hate it when a game requires you to play it multiple times to experience the whole story.
Old 03 April 2012, 12:27   #87
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
But, what I really don't like is - wait for it -

Multiple Endings

I hate that.
Mostly agree. In the earlier Silent Hill games it is done *really* well.

Quote:
Branching Paths

I hate it when a game requires you to play it multiple times to experience the whole story.
This I absolutely cannot agree with. This adds replayability to a game, as in a reason to play it multiple times. I find it a defining feature rather than a condemning one, thank you for making it worth the money I invest into it!
Old 03 April 2012, 18:28   #88
Patarival

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
This I absolutely cannot agree with. This adds replayability to a game, as in a reason to play it multiple times. I find it a defining feature rather than a condemning one, thank you for making it worth the money I invest into it!
Hehe, I know that I'm pretty much alone with this opinion.

But the thing is, I don't work that way. I like to play good games again but I play it my way and I cannot bring myself to do things differently than I did on my first playthrough.

Do I make sense?

I will always solve a quest the same way, because I believe it's the right way and I cannot bring myself to try different ways. I cannot, say, play an evil character - it's just not my nature.

Or say there is a choice between two missions. I will always choose the same mission because I think that one is more important.

And because of this I hate branching paths, because I always have this nagging feeling that I haven't seen everything a game has to offer.

I know, I'm strange.
Old 03 April 2012, 18:55   #89
TCD

I remember that I bought 'Shadow Of Memories' for the XBox and read in the manual that there are several endings. After playing through it I went back and replayed it a bit different, but I couldn't really think of many things to do differently (except for choosing different dialog options). After some failed attempts I got to the same ending again. Reading that there are 6 endings plus 2 other ones that can be unlocked indeed leaves you with a bit of a 'strange' feeling.

I like it when a game lets you choose how 'deep' you can delve into the world by offering a lot of side quests and sub-plots, but not really if it forces you to play it over and over again changing maybe 5% of the content in each turn.

You're not totally alone Patarival
Old 03 April 2012, 19:28   #90
deicidal
Registered Insane

Games that allow you to finish the game only to discover that you missed half the story Final Fantasy and Fable come to mind
Old 03 April 2012, 21:46   #91
diablothe2nd

Loading times generally dont bother me, but what does is when you've just bloody played a level or race, fouled up or died or whatever and the WHOLE level has to be reloaded!!! It was in the RAM already for christs sake! why not just reset the actors and put you back at the beginning instantly god damn it!

grrrr

you got me on a rant there lol, but I've experienced this more in recent times than old. Racing games are typical of this, and some rpg's.
Old 05 April 2012, 06:23   #92
ennio

Games that force you to deal with being killed at random to finish the game.

Case in point, Terramex. These two-pronged plants pop up at random with no pattern whatsoever and kill you. You just have to "hope" they don't come up where you're standing.
Old 05 April 2012, 09:00   #93
mombasajoe

Mazes....I hate mazes...I want to play a game. I don't want to draw maps.
Old 25 August 2012, 22:36   #94
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Smus/Little Dragon http://hol.abime.net/4606
- you can jump only diagonally
- you can not use fire breath while jumping
- big candle can kill you, small not
- you can switch off music by pressing M key but there are no sound fx
gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 August 2012, 02:11   #95
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Insane time limits!
Old 18 April 2013, 21:01   #96
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Inferior http://hol.abime.net/3644 There is blank black space at the top and at the bottom but you can not fly there even if you see it should be possible. A lot of cheap deaths because of that. Also you can shoot at the end of each zone but your bullets are not visible, you can only hear sound fx.
longplay [ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense