Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 November 2010, 01:12   #61
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Omg n00b!11!!11!
n00b? at what exactly

I'm more than competent at playing FPS games using either keyboard + mouse or a pad

I never realised how easy us PC gamers had it with the keyboard + mouse combo! I feel there's more skill involved when using pads as the controls are a bit harder to use when it comes to fast-paced online FPS games. I found it a real breeze owning people using my PC's keyboard + mouse after spending hours on my 360 or PS3! With a PC it's just "point and click"
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 November 2010, 06:48   #62
Locash

Using up for jump, I don't know why but this has always bugged the hell out of me. Was particually a issue through the C64 / Amiga era.
Old 03 November 2010, 10:41   #63
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
n00b? at what exactly
At separating serious from jest Or perhaps I'm the n00b now.
Old 03 November 2010, 10:56   #64
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Or perhaps I'm the n00b now.
Old 03 November 2010, 17:16   #65
humble worm

As for the present games it is the time they take.
I finished with Empire Total War campaign because at some point a battle took me 4-5 hours. Not to mention the rest of the turn. My wife bought me the game for the last Christmas, by the new years eve she cursed the moment
Old 03 November 2010, 18:19   #66
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
As for the present games it is the time they take.
I finished with Empire Total War campaign because at some point a battle took me 4-5 hours. Not to mention the rest of the turn. My wife bought me the game for the last Christmas, by the new years eve she cursed the moment
I bought Civ 4 for my uncle because I know how much he liked the previous games. His wife banned him from playing it in less than a month since he got it.
Old 09 November 2010, 03:27   #67
s2325
Zone Friend

Almost invisible spikes in good Dizzy clone Gate 2 Freedom http://hol.abime.net/2702
Old 09 November 2010, 03:41   #68
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Arcadey flight combat sims (not really sims at all but fun) that dont let you take off and land.

The most fun part for me is not blowing up the 30 oil refinereries, a school for the blind and a puppy orphanage while shooting down 300 bogies with my unlimited missiles but crashing trying to land at the end.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:26   #69
Amiga Forever

Devil May Cry 4....I spend Half Hours killing those two damm BITCH womens( FROG BOSS LEVEL!) but I have gave up in the end!!!

It would be nice to know how i get them and make the frog boss come out and it is hard game!

P.S. I have finished DMC 1 and DMC 3(Both best DMC I have play on PS 2!)
Old 09 November 2010, 10:57   #70
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

"Congrats, now get out of here" endings... That must be the most frustrating of all. When you spend weeks/months/years trying to get to the end of a game and you finally do, I expect a big reward, not a pat on the back...

I'll make an exception for Wonderboy, as that "congrats" ending is epic. "Yep, the dragon was really a robot yada yada". That just made my jaw drop in amazement.
Old 14 November 2010, 08:10   #71
s2325
Zone Friend

Smus/Little Dragon http://hol.abime.net/4606
- you can jump only diagonally
- you can not use fire breath while jumping
- big candle can kill you, small not
- you can switch off music by pressing M key but there are no sound fx
Old 14 November 2010, 15:07   #72
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Arcadey flight combat sims (not really sims at all but fun) that dont let you take off and land.

The most fun part for me is not blowing up the 30 oil refinereries, a school for the blind and a puppy orphanage while shooting down 300 bogies with my unlimited missiles but crashing trying to land at the end.
Fucking awesome. You deserve some kind of prize for that.

I totally agree.

"Ah here he comes, the hero who saved the day"

"Hang on, what the fuck..."

BOOOM

"I'm sorry madam, your husband died because he flew his plane at the floor a bit too steeply".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga Forever View Post
Devil May Cry 4....I spend Half Hours killing those two damm BITCH womens( FROG BOSS LEVEL!) but I have gave up in the end!!!

It would be nice to know how i get them and make the frog boss come out and it is hard game!

P.S. I have finished DMC 1 and DMC 3(Both best DMC I have play on PS 2!)
Seriously?

That boss was pretty easy I thought. I really enjoyed the game up until you change characters and then you pretty much play the whole game in reverse again (with worse controls). Boo.
Old 14 November 2010, 17:17   #73
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post

Well said! I've lost count of the amount of reviews I've read of modern flight 'sims' just looking to see if I can take off and land. Almost always you can't. I hate it when they just start you mid-flight. Totally ruins any kind of immersion. I suppose we were spoiled by the genious of Interceptor! Damn you Dinner-man!! :shakesfist:

As for what annoys me in games, I'd say just a general lack of originality. It's always been a problem, but I think it's even worse now. That along with the fact I've been playing games for yonks and I've seen it all before, but seriously, c'mon!

I'm also tempted to defend Magic Pockets, which has been slagged off, but it's a lot harder to defend than Gods. Anyone that slags Gods is talking out of their arse!
Old 15 November 2010, 11:02   #74
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Anyone that slags Gods is talking out of their arse!
Dastardly for president!

... and Gods slagfest November 2010 has just commenced
Old 15 November 2010, 13:06   #75
hitchhikr

Quote:
Did you try Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2? It is as hardcore J-RPG as you can get, but it does it so well that you just have to love it, especially because there is so much to do and find. Great and especially long storyline also.
Even if DQ VIII isn't particularly easy, try to get your hands on Atlus games like the Megami Tensei (Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga or even the older NES/SNES games etc.) The content is more mature than all Final Fantasy and co. (and can even be really offensive like in DDS where characters must resort to cannibalism in order to fuel their demonic states and survive) and the difficulty level is nefarious.

(edit: there's a (long) retrospective article about the series here)

Last edited by hitchhikr; 15 November 2010 at 13:22.
Old 15 November 2010, 17:19   #76
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
try to get your hands on Atlus games like the Megami Tensei (Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga or even the older NES/SNES games etc.) The content is more mature than all Final Fantasy and co.
Lol We'll I've been playing Etrian Odyssey games on the DS, which are Atlus games. Nail-bitingly hard, but the content is very censored. It certainly contains no cannibalism of any kind, the worst you can do is make a character commit suicide to rescue the others.
Old 15 November 2010, 19:49   #77
hitchhikr

Nintendo is applying a lot of censorship upon the titles released on their consoles ("quality control") so that's probably not where the real deal can be found.

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 were PS2 games and are more like [ Show youtube player ], not exactly your average Final Fantasy tone.

About games and frustration there's amusing videos here: http://www.cinemassacre.com/category...vgn-2004-2006/
Old 17 November 2010, 13:38   #78
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
Nintendo is applying a lot of censorship upon the titles released on their consoles ("quality control") so that's probably not where the real deal can be found.
Nintendo have been doing this for years

They censored many games on the NES and Snes and that's one of the reasos why i prefer Megadrive versions of the same games. The US had it really bad though... censoring pictures and scenes that show a bit of naked leg, a cross, blood, alcohol (bars in Final Fantasy 3/6 got changed into cafes for the US release ) or any adult comments, religious references etc.

Streets of Rage on the Megadrive was great! Lots of violence with knives, baseball bats, glass bottles and Blaze in her skimpy outfit. Sega did everything Nintendo wouldn't dream of doing. Final Fight by Capcom on the Snes was lame in comparison.

And then there's Mortal Kombat which got absolutely ruined by Nintendo censorship

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 17 November 2010 at 13:46.
Old 23 November 2010, 03:38   #79
laffer
Zone Friend

Another thing I don't like (the idea of anyway, I don't play FPS games generally) is health that automatically recharges whenever you're not taking damage/standing still etc.
I prefer the old fashion way of medkits or other health pickups.

Recharging health just makes the games too easy as you can simply stop and wait every time you get badly hurt. Feels a lot less 'tense' and makes it more tempting to just rush through everything... becoming more careless.
Old 23 November 2010, 11:17   #80
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Recharging health just makes the games too easy as you can simply stop and wait every time you get badly hurt. Feels a lot less 'tense' and makes it more tempting to just rush through everything... becoming more careless.
I don't really share these kind of arguments. Games that hold medkits / healing potions tend to let you stockpile an unnatural amount of them, which basically makes the game equally easy as those with the auto-healing system - arguably even easier.

Auto-healing can be applied correctly; As long as the heal doesn't work when you are under attack, it gives a growing need to escape from a dangerous situation. Medkits tend to actually invite Rambo behavior IMO.

But meh, it is context sensitive. In other words, its really up to the game if something works or not.
AdSense AdSense